SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Impressive Performances by an Actor or Actress
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impressive Performances by an Actor or Actress Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
sam rockwell, Moon

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Have you seen "The Machinist?"

Bale's dedication to that role is borderline certifiable...

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Robert Duvall in THE APOSTLE.

Though I'm a much bigger fan of Dennis Quaid than Val Kilmer, Kilmer did OWN the role of Doc Holliday. I think it's one of the greatest performances on film.

Paul Newman in THE VERDICT.

Gene Hackman in HOOSIERS.

Tom Hanks in CASTAWAY.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Recently saw Patriots Day. Later on the in the movie the older brothers wife is interrogated. Maybe two minutes of the movie, but the actress who played the interrogator was spectacular. Khandi Alexander.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I just watched Open Range again and I'll toss in the dual roles with Duvall and Costner.

Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino is also a favorite.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption

Or Driving Miss Daisy.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Even tho he wasn’t really an actor pre Best Years of Our Lives,, Harold Russell did an amazing job as Homer Parrish, the Navy man who lost his hands. Took a special kind of man to play that part.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
In "Jaws". Quint's description of his time in the water when his ship ,the Indianapolis was sunk. The setting of the scene, his demeanor as he speaks, the rising music...IMHO a near perfect performance.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
In "Jaws". Quint's description of his time in the water when his ship ,the Indianapolis was sunk. The setting of the scene, his demeanor as he speaks, the rising music...IMHO a near perfect performance.

Absolutely. I had forgotten about that scene. It was, well, breathtaking.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

Absolutely. I had forgotten about that scene. It was, well, breathtaking.

I think it qualifies for the term, "mesmerizing"; great scene, great performance.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Ben Kingsley In Sexy Beast.

Intense, is a word that comes to mind when viewing.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I'll throw in Kirk Douglas in Lonely Are The Brave. Haven't seen it in years but I remember crying when his horse Whiskey was killed by being hit by a truck. I was maybe 10 years old. I was mesmerized watching him fight the one armed man in the bar. I'm going to have to find this one again.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Lonely Are The Brave
A beautiful film, truly. Sad, but beautiful.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Gene Hackman - The Firm
Javier Bardem - Skyfall
Matthew McConaughey/Matthew Fox/Anthony Mackie - We are Marshall.
Sean Astin - Rudy
Jeremy Renner - The Town
George Dzundza - The Beast

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Burt Reynolds in Deliverance. By far his best role and very well done.

Robert Redford in Jerhemiah Johnson

John Wayne in True Grit and Rooster Cogburn. He didn't play a character in those films he created one.

Dare I say Sly Stallone in the first Rocky!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Frank Sinatra, The First Deadly Sin (1980).

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sidney Poitier and Rod Steiger in, In the Heat of the Night. But Steiger really carried this movie. The range of emotion in this scene from Steiger is amazing.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post