SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ben Shapiro's new book (The Right Side of History)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ben Shapiro's new book (The Right Side of History) Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
The full title is The Right Side of History: How Reason and Moral Purpose Made the West Great.

It was just released (19March) and I'm about ¼ of the way through it.

It attempts to answer two questions:
1- Why is everything so good now?
2- Why are we fucking it up?

So far it's an excellent read & I'll be surprised if I don't learn a thing or two.

Regardless if whether or not you agree with him (sometimes I don't), Ben is one smart motherfucker.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will be reading. Listen to his podcast...good stuff.

Dmac

Posts: 22 | Location: Coastal Massachusetts | Registered: July 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I finished the book and liked it, although Ben is quite a bit more religious than I am. Here's the gist of the book:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/RVD0xik-_FM

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, concise. Tks for posting.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
This was perhaps one of the finest books I've read in years. Decades, perhaps. Part philosophy, part history, Shapiro makes a good case for the return to the Judeo-Christian moral structure and Athenian teleology (finality: the study of evidences of design in nature, explaining phenomena by final causes). He does so by examining and providing numerous quotations from great philosophers in history, tracing paths from the ancients to the present through movements and schools of thought.

It's not light-hearted reading, but Shapiro doesn't plod through the material. Much as he does in his podcasts, he's quick, to the point, and doesn't speak down to the reader. I wondered about taking it along on my vacation, but it was easy to pick up and read, and I went cover to cover in just a couple of days.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post