SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Interesting find on Amazon Prime for boaters..."Travels by Narrowboat" Guy buys a 'narrowboat' and travels along England's canal system
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting find on Amazon Prime for boaters..."Travels by Narrowboat" Guy buys a 'narrowboat' and travels along England's canal system Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I only watched season 1 and I haven't circled around to watch the remainder. It was interesting.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
the hot and cold food stall with honesty box was cool.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
England really looks like a cool place in a lot of ways.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
I stuck it out watching 1st episode, the constant engine noise was aggravating but the scenery was good. Didn't expect to watch any more of it.

Now I'm almost done with season one. Darn thing is addictive! And I've even come to like the guy more than I did at first especially the unflappable way he deals with various problems that arise.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I spent way more time researching meat pies last night, because of this show, than necessary.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I think Seasons 3 and 4 are the best. He seems to have established a rhythm with his videos, and some of the scenery is spectacular.

FiveFiveSixFan was right about Cruising the Cut.I'm about 20 videos in to his series. He is not as "at home" on his boat as CountryHomeGuy, but his videos are a LOT more informative. From styles of boats to his layout, to working on the various systems. And with 196 videos, I'm pretty certain he'll be hitting the canal soon for some cool sights. The website I linked has all his YouTube videos.

And yeah, the cuisine looks interesting. LOL As do the pubs.

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
So i also starting to watch some or]f his older YouTube stuff, some I found through his Facebook page

Tonight I couldn’t sleep and I found the video where he talks about being attacked on New Year’s Eve.

It sucks, and is a shitty thing to have happen. I will put that out.

But, damn, if he isn’t the epitome of the British beta male. He has cried more in the course of this show than I think I have in the last 30 years. We are even close in age

I love his videos, and even like him...but damn he is...meek. That’s the word.

The video is called “the real reason I let YouTube for Vimeo” if you want to watch it

I feel for the dude. I do. I get he has had a rough go. I just could never be that timid. Maybe it’s a cultural thing

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Cruising the Cut...
kevin's diesel definitely sounds better.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I like the "put-put-put" it puts out.

David Johns goes to the Crick boat show....I DO like the more modern interiors than the traditional ones. It'd be neat to find an older boat, then redo the interior in a modern style.

I also like the ones that show off the engines, I guess that's an older boat thing.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Kind of an interesting time killer I'll keep on the back burner. Nice to watch if I get into bed and can't get to sleep quickly. Thirty minutes of that old diesel chugging away does the trick.

Maybe I've not watch enough of the series but it seems sometime he's trying to convince himself that what he's doing is really great. Often says, "this is amazing" or some such.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
S3 E4 of detectorists - Toby Jones' current girlfriend (mechanic) gets him on her narrowboat and he hurls after.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
S2 E2 has a good relative ground speed sequence with him tooling along after a lock - no moored boats and from the sound of the diesel he wasn't crawling, but wasn't at full speed either, and a couple walks by with their dog, then another couple passes, and they steadily keep ahead of him.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I saw somewhere that the speed limit in the canals is 4 mph, and I reckon he rarely pushes that. LOL