SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    True Detective Season 3
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True Detective Season 3 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to tonight's episode. There's nothing like a good story, well told.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I watched the first episode, now to keep watching.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Looking forward to tonight's episode. There's nothing like a good story, well told.

I feel like you have some unique insight into film. I hope you're willing to lay out your thoughts a bit as the series progresses.

I enjoyed your Boardwalk Empire observations, as well as classic movie insights.

Thanks.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Two episodes in and I really enjoy it so far. Great casting, great acting, and fantastic writing! If it keeps up, it may, just may, replace season #1 as my favorite.......maybe. Big Grin Though I doubt they can come up with an ending dialogue like the first season between Woody and Matthew (about the darkness versus the light).

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This last episode made me think of a little ditty I wrote a few years ago:

Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I die before I wake,
Watch out for the Claymore in the hallway.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
So, what is your take on the Caucasian man standing among the Vietnamese behind the aged detective in his room? Anybody have any thoughts?

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
So, what is your take on the Caucasian man standing among the Vietnamese behind the aged detective in his room? Anybody have any thoughts?

I thought it was Roland.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was Roland.

I like when he asked the Vietnamese phantoms "Do they still make Mercury?"

Unfortunately, the writer feels the need to project social mores from this century, onto people living in 1980. One example, the sobbing bullshit remark from the kids' father: "I'm sorry I used that word" and a bit later "Please don't tell him I used that word."

FFS. It just doesn't ring true. A conversation taking place in 1980 should not be lensed through social attitudes forty years in the future.

And, once again, I take note of Mamie Gummer. She strikes me as a capable and talented actress.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, it was Roland.

I like when he asked the Vietnamese phantoms "Do they still make Mercury?"

Unfortunately, the writer feels the need to project social mores from this century, onto people living in 1980. One example, the sobbing bullshit remark from the kids' father: "I'm sorry I used that word" and a bit later "Please don't tell him I used that word."

FFS. It just doesn't ring true. A conversation taking place in 1980 should not be lensed through social attitudes forty years in the future.

And, once again, I take note of Mamie Gummer. She strikes me as a capable and talented actress.

Agreed on "that word."

I am also always dubious of Hollywood defaulting to Catholic churches in the South. We'll see if they are trying to tie into the Catholic church's historical issues with children, but the fact is that other churches have issues as well, and Catholicism is just not the major denomination in the south, especially in the rural south.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought I noticed Roland limping in 1990? And in the scene referenced above, wasn't he on the house side of their police car heading toward the idiot redneck? I guess we will find out next week.

My college roomy deployed them in I Corp trail ambushes back in the day. Had to set them off one night. He said Claymores will fuck you up good.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:

I thought I noticed Roland limping in 1990? And in the scene referenced above, wasn't he on the house side of their police car heading toward the idiot redneck? I guess we will find out next week.

My college roomy deployed them in I Corp trail ambushes back in the day. Had to set them off one night. He said Claymores will fuck you up good.

He is limping in the future. I want to say one of the after-show previews (maybe last weeks') showed Roland getting shot, though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

posted Hide Post
Great episode. Anyone note that the kids in the woods were playing Dungeons and Dragons, but they did not actually say it. 1980 was pretty early in its heyday.

I tend to think the boy was secondary to the girls disappearance, which I'm guessing was an abduction, or she went willingly into some sort of cult. We'll see of course.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah I noticed that as well. History is different when you have lived it rather than read about it. Pizzolato was born in 1975. I think one reason the first season was so good was the fact that the writer was from South Louisiana.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I love the fact that Claymores come with printed instructions. Even so I can imagine some being pointed the wrong way.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you guys see what was on the TV Producer chicks laptop screen when it was turned to face Hays?
It was a reference to Season 1.
Possible tie-in later?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Rust and Marty.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
I've been puzzling over this scene. Perhaps the shadowy men are all the people whose deaths Hayes feels responsible for.

And why the man in the suit (Roland?) is among them is really pestering me. Are we to think that Hayes killed Roland?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Just watched last night’s episode. How I wish I could binge the whole thing. Same feeling I had when Band of Brothers first aired - waiting each week for the next episode to drop.

Really solid writing and acting in this season; on par with season 1 in my opinion.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post