SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    True Detective Season 3
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True Detective Season 3 Login/Join 
posted
It starts tomorrow night, Episodes 1&2. Looking forward to it.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be watching.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Watching now! So far so good!

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Watched episode 1 last night. It was my first time watching the show. I like it so far.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I don’t have HBO so a I’ll have to wait for it to hit the red box. Liked Season 1 & 2 though

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I liked season 1 but not 2. Recorded season 3 episodes so will have to watch them.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Watched Season 3 episodes last night. Liking so far. Much better than S2, I think.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
watched episode 1 & 2 last night. Liking it so far. Pretty good character development and for the most part the acting is good as is the story line.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tengoo
posted Hide Post
Couldn't get into season 1, but liked season 2 quite a bit, although it was badly overwritten, probably because I liked the performers a lot. Will certainly give season 3 a look, but I don't know if it's the kind of setting that interests me [can't tell from the trailer I saw...].

Posts: 103 | Location: Just east of the Canadian Rockies | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I caught it. So far it looks good.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished first 2 episodes of season 3. Liking it very much, as is my wife, looks like MUCH more to come...

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tengoo:
Couldn't get into season 1, but liked season 2 quite a bit, although it was badly overwritten, probably because I liked the performers a lot. Will certainly give season 3 a look, but I don't know if it's the kind of setting that interests me [can't tell from the trailer I saw...].

Season 2 almost killed the series, you really need to give S1 a second chance
The Alexandria Daddario nude scene itself was worth watching the whole season for.

S3 off to a good start, even if Stephen Dorff is a poor mans Woody Harrelson

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
True Detective Season 3, Episodes 1 & 2 are on HBO2 again tonight. Starting at 8pm

Posts: 19504 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
*** Spoilers below *** Beyond this place be dragons. If you haven't yet started watching this season, scroll past my post and let not your eyes wonder, lest ye come to grief.

*** Spoilers below ***

Kind of a mesmerizing image, isn't it? Anthropomorphic. The police detective who saved his life identifies with the fox, and has a reverence for life, but only for those deserving of it.

TD season 3 shares more than a few similarities with season 1; Detective Hays is the equivalent of Rust Cohle. They feel apart from the world and possess special skills that make them uniquely suited for their jobs. They have their own ideas about things, keep their own counsel and they cannot be swayed.

Hays' partner asks him in 1980 if he ever thinks about getting married, and he responds that he's not "a big enough asshole to put a woman and children through that." This mirrors Rust Cohle's attitude on marriage and having children, after his daughter is killed.

The 1990 interview of Hays reminds me very much of the interview of Woddy Harrelson's character in season one; they are both suspiciious of why they are being interviewed at all.

Nic Pizzolato has a preoccupation with the past. Notice how in season 1 and season 3, the "present" takes place a couple of years before the air date of the episodes? It seems that for Pizzolato, even the present is in the past.

Looks to me like Pizzolato is basing this season off of the West Memphis Three.

And oh my goodness. Michael Greyeyes aka "The Trash Man"- wow, how have I missed this guy? Pizzolato gave him some great lines at the beginning of episode 2, and I love the way he delivered them. The line about "I miss when 'Don't get killed' was the only thing on my to-do list.", and when Stephen Dorff asks him if he likes kids, generally. He says "Do- What the fuck's the right answer to that?"

And his line "You ever been some place you couldn't leave- and you couldn't stay- both at the same time?" is echoed later in the episode when the father of the kids says "I can't go to sleep, and I can't wake up."

I hope to see more of this guy, although it sounds as if he's made the scapegoat for the crime and has a tragic end. We'll see.

Michael Greyeyes

It appears that Detective Hays, at some point in the 35 years covered in this season, committed some kind of serious crime, although I feel as if we'll find out that it was for a just cause.

Oh, and Mamie Gummer as the mother of the kids. She strikes me as an excellent actress.

All clear

Posts: 107256 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
What happened to the pedophile they had in the trunk?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They let him go. When they spoke to the daycare lady, Hays said "You won't see this guy again. If you do, give us a call", then he hands her his business card.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107256 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I haven't started 3 yet. I had to struggle through season 2 but thought season 1 can't be beaten.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
They let him go. When they spoke to the daycare lady, Hays said " You won't see this guy again. If you do, give us a call", then he hands her his business card.

Yeah, I saw that. I thought he said "Oh, Paulie...won't see him no more".

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like 1 & 2. Although it took me ~ 4 tries to get into 2.
Enjoying 3 alot.

Posts: 462 | Location: NW Indiana  | Registered: January 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems that for Pizzolato, even the present is in the past.

Time is a flat circle.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post