SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    True Detective Season 3
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True Detective Season 3 Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I’m on episode 3 and really digging it. Perfect for the new theater! Mahershala Ali is pretty damn good in everything he does.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Ali is an incredible actor who has hit his stride and prime. Love his character in this. Excited for the finale.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I’m on episode 3 and really digging it. Perfect for the new theater! Mahershala Ali is pretty damn good in everything he does.
And you're in a thread which has spoilers on every page??

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
And you're in a thread which has spoilers on every page??

Not to worry I posted from page one and averted my eyes otherwise

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Nice wrap up, I'll miss it. A lot of questions answered and an appropriate way to end it I guess.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed in the final episode. Feels like a shaggy dog story. Others may have differing opinions. I did enjoy the first season of True Detective. Lots of unanswered quesions.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Nothing real groundbreaking, no explosive revelations, just good storytelling and acting.

I figured when Purple got to her house at the end, he wouldn't actually approach here. Obviously, him forgetting why he was there took the choice away from him. It kept him from having any closure which even choosing not to talk to her would have given him, but it was definitely apt in his condition. I was glad Henry kept the slip of paper.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed a super young looking Hays' disappearing into the Viet Nam jungle, it really worked given he said virtually nothing about his service and it was the only flashback.

All in all, I was thoroughly entertained and that makes it a rarity. Well done.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Did I miss it...But how did Hay's wife die ?

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:

That’s something I wanted to know too.

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did I miss something. I think we presume she is dead. Never a clue that she was in fact dead.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Edward Hoyt was badly cast. I have a hard time accepting that guy as a Captain of industry type.

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'm catching up....

I do have to say that the Claymore would not have worked well if at all suspended on a little tripod the way it was.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I miss something. I think we presume she is dead. Never a clue that she was in fact dead.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You did not miss something. We are left wondering. Some of the loose ends I mentioned earlier. The character development of Hoyt was lacking as well.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the ending. I also wanted to know about Mrs. Hays.
Ali and Dorff were excellent.
And the movement between timelines and aging of the characters was seamless.
The Python was cool too!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
quote:
She wasn't in the 2015 segment of the story because she had died. The song that played over the last two scenes of the episode- St. James Infirmary Blues:

I went down to St. James Infirmary,
Saw my baby there,
Stretched out on a long white table,
So cold, so sweet, so fair.

Her death wasn't explained because her actual death was of no consequences to the story. Her absence played a role, but not the details of her actual death. I get the feeling that it was breast cancer or something like that. Also, I think that Pizzolato strung the viewers along with her absence in 2015. I think he wanted viewers to think that she was murdered by the same person who murdered the boy- that she encountered them while investigating the crime.
It's kind of a chickenshit thing to do, but I already have reservations about Pizzolato, so I'm not surprised.

And he is stuck in the past. Just as Hays said when they visited Mr. June- "It's always too late." This corresponds to the remarks from season one at the top of this page: "Like the future is behind you. Like it's always been behind you."

Yes, lots of loose ends, which is a reason why HBO needs to make a season longer than 8 freaking episodes! I can see at least two more episodes out of this season, and the stuff with Michael Rooker's character is a good example. Just what in the Hell was that supposed to be? I have no problem viewing an unshaven Rooker as a captain of industry. It's a chicken empire, for God's sake, but his remarks during that meeting were shit.

The bit about the kids' father being a closeted homosexual- Why include that if it's not essential to the story?
Why show us pics of Marty Hart and Rust Cohle and then go nowhere with it? Why the big suspenseful buildup with the TV interviewer that lead to nothing? Sloppy and kinda thrown together IMO. Why the ridiculous "affair" between the son and the TV interviewer? What was the point? To facilitate the conversation between Wayne and his son?

So, the winner and still champion of True Detective season one. This season was entertaining and I'm glad it was aired but it just doesn't measure up to the first season.

BTW, check out Hays' rifle in the last scene. He's got an M16, A1 stock, but with what appears to be an 18 inch barrel- dissipator style. Sounds like someone did some research? I need to look up this variant.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
quote:
The bit about the kids' father being a closeted homosexual- Why include that if it's not essential to the story?
Why show us pics of Marty Hart and Rust Cohle and then go nowhere with it? Why the big suspenseful buildup with the TV interviewer that lead to nothing? Sloppy and kinda thrown together IMO. Why the ridiculous "affair" between the son and the TV interviewer? What was the point? To facilitate the conversation between Wayne nd his son?

So, the winner and still champion of True Detective season one. This season was entertaining and I'm glad it was aired but it just doesn't measure up to the first season.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah. I agree completely. All this extraneous shit that goes nowhere? This sort of thing made me think he was toying with the viewer. I was disappointed in the lack of character development of Hoyt and his family.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Two to four more episodes would have covered that nicely, but HBO wants to give us eight and call it a season.

The ending was well done. Let's not forget that Julie did not want to be found. The way that scene played out- the viewer gets to know that this girl came out of all of it OK, but she did not have to knowingly confront the detective who had been searching for her. The viewer gets to see Hays and Julie together, but without any real tension. So, well done, I suppose.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
[quote]Two to four more episodes would have covered that nicely[/quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes. That is one thing that HBO has been able to do with Game of Thrones, Deadwood and other series. I enjoy long and involved stories that take time to develop.

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation Para.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post