SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    TCM Movie Alert : Black Narcissus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM Movie Alert : Black Narcissus Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
10 PM EST tonight

Forget the story about nuns at a convent in the Himalayas. Watch it for the eye candy. This is one of the most beautifully photographed films ever. Jack Cardiff got his inspiration from the great masters of painting. This is an indescribably gorgeous film, shot in Technicolor.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Just started watching...I missed the TCM screening but it's on my Charter On Demand menu Smile

Beautiful film...I took a little time to read up a little bit on the Technicolor processes...I guess seeing so many CG movies nowadays we forget what an impact this had...especially on the big screen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bisleyblackhawk,

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Beyond the beauty of what appears on the screen, the truly remarkable thing about the film is that it wasn't shot 9000 feet up in the Himalayas. The film was shot at Pinewood Studios in London. Cardiff and Production Designer Alfred Junge created the film's universe using matte painting and large painted backdrops, and it is entirely convincing.

You can get an idea here of how they achieved this.

By the way, although it's not explicit in this film, the sisters of the convent were all being affected by altitude sickness.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
One of my all time favorite films-thanks for highlighting
it.

Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger were a great film making team-some of their others include-the Red Shoes, The Life and Death of Col. Blimp, etc.

(BTW-the actor who played the Indian prince-Sabu-served as an aerial gunner aboard a B-17 in the South Pacific during WWII and won the DFC, Air Medal.

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post