SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I'd like to start reading Warhammer 40k:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'd like to start reading Warhammer 40k: Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
Is there a definitive novel or series to begin with? My search online gives general guidelines on the best stories without really stating what a good starting point would be for the universe. I guess I should also admit that I've never played the tabletop game, so I know almost nothing about the lore. So I'm looking for something to ease me into the universe.

As a note of thanks, here's the full version of the Astartes series:

https://youtu.be/O7hgjuFfn3A

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
My son is into 40k big time.
I’m a pretty big sci-fi fan myself.
I started with the Ciaphas Cain books. It’s a lighter side of the Imperium of Man.
I enjoyed them.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Guess I'll start there. Or maybe the Horus Heresy.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I 100% cannot recommend enough the Gaunt's Ghosts series. It follows a battalion of Imperial Guardsmen through a series of campaigns in order. I really love Dan Abnett's writing style.

The Horus Heresy series is written by something like 20 different authors and almost every book in the series is from a different perspective. Many/most of them are good, but it became a slog after a while for me and I just read all the Dan Abnett ones.

Several of the other popular 40k series are ALSO written by Abnett, but I haven't read them yet, but I will eventually.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I'm dumbfounded that 40k hasn't been turned into a live action movie franchise. I have no good place for you to start, but every time I see anything 40k related, it looks so cool. I know the universe is absolutely huge at this point and there seems like there is 10 movies worth of content.

I used to put models together as a kid and some of the guys had me make and paint their 40k figurines for their games. Such cool figures.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jester814. I look into that series and that author.