SIGforum
Binged Justified, now Sopranos

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/6760007084

March 23, 2021, 01:46 PM
HRK
Binged Justified, now Sopranos
Been a long time since watching Raylan Givens, the show is still great, writing was really good and the actors portrayed the characters very well. Took about 2 1/2 weeks of watching, more on the weekends of course, 6 years, 13 episodes, glad it never really jumped the shark.

Justified was a bit faster paced, just seemed to fly by, so after a week off at Bike Week started to re-watch the Sopranos, even though it was always a great show it sure seems to crawl compared to Justified. Just 5 more seasons to go...

March 23, 2021, 04:18 PM
smschulz
Both are great the Sopranos was iconic and Justified is just plain entertaining.
March 23, 2021, 08:48 PM
hberttmank
I have never seen the Sopranos, but binged on Justified, great series.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock
March 23, 2021, 09:05 PM
YellowJacket
Two of my top 3 long running shows (along with The Wire.)

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
March 24, 2021, 08:01 AM
SBrooks
I have the Sopranos on DVD and rewatch the series every couple of years.

------------------
SBrooks
March 24, 2021, 10:37 AM
StarTraveler
I’m down to the last 5 episodes of Longmire and am hoping to watch Justified soon after catching up on The Expanse.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca
March 24, 2021, 01:50 PM
HRK
Finished season 1 last night, great as always, saw a few episodes I'd missed or forgotten about.

March 24, 2021, 02:21 PM
Citadel
People underestimate Bob at their peril. One of the greatest lines ever.
March 24, 2021, 05:57 PM
NavyGuy
I rewatched The Sopranos about 6 months ago and was really surprised how it held my interest even though I pretty much knew the outcome of each episode. A lot of subtle things that I apperently missed were brought to light on this second viewing. I've got Justified on the list to rewatch since I watched it on the original release where you got one episode per week. I seem to get a lot more out of such series if I binge them.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
March 25, 2021, 04:20 AM
bigguy
You didn’t ask for a recommendation, but if you liked Justified you might like Deadwood the (TV series).
March 25, 2021, 09:55 AM
HRK
Fuckin Deadwood is fuckin great, now I will have to fuckin watch it again, shame it's only fuckin 3 seasons...

March 25, 2021, 10:23 AM
Batty67
Couple thoughts:

I need to watch Sopranos in entirety. I personally thought Longmire was rapidly approaching shark-jumping status and maybe went a season too long (ended with a whimper). Justified was really great. While pretty dated, The Wire is (fricking) amazing. Probably the best tv series I ever watched (though the seasons vary from B+ to A+).

Finally, I need to watch Deadwood from start-to-finish SOON.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,
March 25, 2021, 03:08 PM
highroundcount
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Fuckin Deadwood is fuckin great, now I will have to fuckin watch it again, shame it's only fuckin 3 seasons...

I know. Ain't that a cocksucker Smile Don't forget about the follow up movie set 13 years later.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.
March 26, 2021, 01:17 PM
pulicords
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Couple thoughts:

I need to watch Sopranos in entirety. I personally thought Longmire was rapidly approaching shark-jumping status and maybe went a season too long (ended with a whimper). Justified was really great. While pretty dated, The Wire is (fricking) amazing. Probably the best tv series I ever watched (though the seasons vary from B+ to A+).

If you liked/loved these series, check out Breaking Bad. Outstanding writing, acting, directing, etc..., but sometimes it took awhile to be brought up to a boil. Not quite as good as "The Wire", but damn close IMHO!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
March 26, 2021, 02:34 PM
HRK
Ended BB with a season to go, burned out, need to go finish it...

March 26, 2021, 03:05 PM
YellowJacket
quote:

I couldn't wait for Breaking Bad to be over. It is good writing and good acting but by the 3rd season there were no likeable characters for me.

I've watched The Wire all the way through 3 times and it still amazes me. It's the opposite of BB... every character is likeable, from the hardest gangster to the purest police. Sheeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiit.....

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
March 29, 2021, 07:23 PM
pulicords
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

I couldn't wait for Breaking Bad to be over. It is good writing and good acting but by the 3rd season there were no likeable characters for me.

I've watched The Wire all the way through 3 times and it still amazes me. It's the opposite of BB... every character is likeable, from the hardest gangster to the purest police. Sheeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiit.....

What I find enjoyable about both series is that the characters are real and distinct. Unlike say films by Woody Allen (POS child molester that he is aside) and many other writers, the subjects don't all act alike or talk alike. They're distinct personalities. Good, bad, or a combination of both (and always flawed), you can get to know them and appreciate just how unique each is and that makes the storytelling so interesting. One of the main points the writers/producers made about Breaking Bad is that they wanted their characters to evolve and I think they succeeded. I hope HRK reconsiders and watches the final season. I thought it was exceptionally well done.

I believe that The Wire was the best fictional "Cop" series ever produced and Breaking bad was the best "Criminal" fiction series ever produced. Both accurately portrayed reality, but provided enough black humor to keep the series from drowning in misery.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
March 30, 2021, 06:03 AM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
If you liked/loved these series, check out Breaking Bad. Outstanding writing, acting, directing, etc..., but sometimes it took awhile to be brought up to a boil. Not quite as good as "The Wire", but damn close IMHO!!!

I loved Breaking Bad. The third time through, I watched all three shows in sequence: Better Call Saul, the prequel, Breaking Bad, the main show, and El Camino, a movie that follows Pinkman after Breaking Bad.

quote:

Another great series.

I managed to watch Justified six times before it went to PPV. I refuse to pay to watch it again.

When in doubt, mumble
March 30, 2021, 01:07 PM
HRK
quote:
One of the main points the writers/producers made about Breaking Bad is that they wanted their characters to evolve and I think they succeeded. I hope HRK reconsiders and watches the final season. I thought it was exceptionally well done.

Probably will finish it, we were binging it, just lost interest in the last season, won't take much to crank it back up and finish...

Will add The Wire to the list for post Sopranos.

March 31, 2021, 02:59 PM
1967Goat
quote:
Probably will finish it, we were binging it, just lost interest in the last season, won't take much to crank it back up and finish...

Will add The Wire to the list for post Sopranos.

I see what you did there.