SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Silence of the Lambs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Silence of the Lambs Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Recorded over the past weekend and watched today; it had been awhile. This movie won the Big 5 at the Academy Awards:
Best Picture;
Best Director, Jonathan Demme;
Best Actor in a Leading Role, Anthony Hopkins;
Best Actress in a Leading Role, Jody Foster;
Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published.

Interesting how everything can come together like it did in this picture. Jonathan Demme never did anything approaching the success achieved in this movie. He came close with Philadelphia, but that had more to do with a support for the subject matter than anything else, otherwise. Unremarkable.

Great movie. Great performances. If you have Showtime, look for a showing of the movie. If you have one of the streaming services, maybe it’s available.

Posts: 13256 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
One of the bests in so many ways for sure.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Hopkins is one hell of an actor.
Easily one of my favorites.

He was excellent In Silence of the Lambs. A pretty convincing psychopath!

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Well, Clarice, have the lambs stopped screaming?

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:

"I'm meeting an old friend for dinner"

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
More chilling, especially in its plausibility, than the omen for me. But exorcist still rules my fearsome film.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Textbook film. I remember one of my professors in a film class would love to use it for teaching. I also remember seeing it in the theater with my good friend at around 17/18 years of age and dying laughing at the Buffalo bill guy and the lotion in the basket while everyone else was absolutely frozen in fear.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
More chilling, especially in its plausibility, than the omen for me. But exorcist still rules my fearsome film.

"Chilling" is a good word for it. Along with its plausibility, as well as the categories of Oscars it won (they could have added cinematography; very well filmed. And, hell, why not...music score; very effective) makes it, for me, one of the very best psychological thrillers of all time. Great movie.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of Demme’s Stop Making Sense. An excellent concert film. Even better if you’re a Talking Heads fan.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that the acting displayed by Jody Foster in that scene where she's in the basement looking for the killer was superb and the best I've ever seen by a female actor. It's the reason I always have a flashlight with me now,lol.
Edited to add- and why I dumped my revolvers and went to semi-autos. More rounds.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:

"I'm meeting an old friend for dinner"

"I'm having an old friend for dinner." Smile

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
I think that the acting displayed by Jody Foster in that scene where she's in the basement looking for the killer was superb and the best I've ever seen by a female actor. It's the reason I always have a flashlight with me now,lol.
Edited to add- and why I dumped my revolvers and went to semi-autos. More rounds.

More rounds and a flashlight, but I still couldn’t recommend going down into a basement like that. Wink

I’ll add that while his role wasn’t critical to the success of this movie, I’ve always thought Scott Glenn in a supporting role adds to a movie. I’m rarely disappointed when he’s involved.

Posts: 13256 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I was wrong about this movie being on Showtime, it’s on HBO and will be broadcast 3 more times: Saturday, 3/31 at 9:20 MDT and twice on Wednesday, 4/11 at 12:20a and 3:20a MDT

Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Lambs was my favorite film the year it came out. It was one of the few times a genuinely gritty and bleak suspense/horror film found mainstream success. I thought Jodie Foster rocked it.

I've never been a fan of Anthony Hopkins in that role, however. I thought he was way too hammy and theatrical to be believable. I much preferred Brian Cox's Hannibal portrayal from Manhunter. Even later, I liked Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal from the NBC TV show. It seemed more believable that a true super-genius psychopath would be more laid back and matter-of-fact than all sneering and glaring.

Because of that, I thought Hopkins did a better job in Ridley Scott's Hannibal. He toned it down and became more sinister and less scenery-chewing.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
One of the few times the Academy called something right....

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:

More rounds and a flashlight, but I still couldn’t recommend going down into a basement like that. Wink

I’ll add that while his role wasn’t critical to the success of this movie, I’ve always thought Scott Glenn in a supporting role adds to a movie. I’m rarely disappointed when he’s involved.

I agree. Scott Glen always adds to a movie.And you are right about the second part. Don't go into the basement by yourself. Call for back up and wait,lol.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night on HBO.
It was great to watch a truly good movie.Unfortunately it reminds you how much crap we watch on Netflix and at the theater.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post