SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The number of times in 2018 that TCM airs The Manchurian Candidate
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The number of times in 2018 that TCM airs The Manchurian Candidate Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
So I guess tonight's scheduling of "Advise and Consent" is just part of the normal rotation.
You need to look at the entire schedule for that day and you'll notice something.

The Best Man

Advise and Consent

Seven Days in May

Gabriel Over the Whitehouse

TCM aired all these films the same day. Now you're getting the picture. Gabriel Over the Whitehouse is a bizarre depression-era film. Just read the synopsis of it on IMDB. Anyone who doesn't think these frustrated twenty-something leftist children who are running the show now are trying to say something is not paying attention. Maybe it takes a longtime fan to see it, but I don't think so.

The TCM schedule on their website is searchable through July 5th, and The Manchurian Candidate is not scheduled to air a single time in the first half of this year. I'm beginning to think that more than a few people took notice (just who do these people think are watching TCM?) of their behavior last year with regards to this film and they heard the complaints.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
TCM schedule is searchable through the beginning of August and there's still no sign of this film. This is getting interesting. It looks like they've gone cold turkey.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, but I don't think they're trying to be sneaky. It's just a schedule drop-out.

One way you can tell if TCM has a move airing soon is check the movie's overview page. If a film is scheduled to air, it will say so at the top of the page, just to the right of the film title. I've been watching this too. Nothing. It's quite a contrast from last year.

posted Hide Post
They have also played a lot of movies by blacklisted directors of the 50s.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
They have also played a lot of movies by blacklisted directors of the 50s.
You are correct, and Ben Mankiewicz simply cannot introduce any such film without mentioning the blacklist. Oh, the persecution from the political right. Oh, the right was so wrong. I mean, he wallows in the shit.

I can barely tolerate this clown. Plus, he's one of the Young Turks and hangs out with that Cenk Wigger guy, who's an even bigger jackass.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, it looks like the film Suddenly is taking the place of The Manchurian Candidate. This is a 1954 film about an attempted Presidential assassination (Eisenhower), and until recently, TCM aired this film very rarely. Well, they're airing it right now and this is the fourth airing of it this year.

Oh, and Gabriel Over the Whitehouse aired last Saturday. Third time this year for a film that until recently, TCM showed once in a blue moon.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Yup; TCM been bumming me out - especially since the loss of Mr. Osborne.

Noir Alley has been cool, but the leftist, progressive crap is a huge turn off as are those hosts who just read the teleprompter. and B.M. is just that; poop.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nothin'!

After playing this film ten times (or more) last year, it's not on the schedule through the end of October. I'm beginning to wonder if some exec at TCM noticed how many times they aired this film, and told those in charge of programming to cut it out.

Or, maybe they finally figured out that the character of Eleanor Shaw Iselin is too close to the reality of the hag Hillary Clinton.

Oh, BTW- five airings so far this year, of Suddenly. Roll Eyes

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, it appears that TCM will close out the year with no showings of this film. Very curious, after last year's frequent broadcast of this film.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, for 2018, it's a big goose egg for this count.

posted Hide Post
The Manchurian Candidate may have fallen from favor but the spouting off from Mankiewicz has not. The man is obsessed with "the blacklist", the Communist Party and its members, the FBI and the House un-American Activities Committee. All night long, he was introducing a series of Dick Powell movies and every into was a dissertation on 1950s politics.
Just introduce the movies and spare me "the blacklist".
God, I miss Robert Osborne!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Eddie Muller does the same thing when he intros films. He has ample opportunity to do so, considering that all of the movies he introduces were made in the forties and fifties.
This past weekend, he closed Noir Alley with "Feliz Navidad".

Pander much, Ed?

Very disappointing. I watch TCM to view the films and hear the discussions about the films and their production. I'm not interested in their politics.

It's maddening

posted Hide Post
quote:
Very disappointing. I watch TCM to view the films and hear the discussions about the films and their production. I'm not interested in their politics.

It is not just that. He goes over the names of movies and directors so quickly you cannot keep track. I do not get the feel of the people like I did with Osborne. Perhaps there is an accompanying textbook.{sarcasm}

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched Double Indemnity and was pleasantly surprised that Muller did not mention HUAC at all and confined himself to facts about the movie. I was unaware of the extent of collaboration between Billy Wilder and Raymond Chandler to make Cain's story into the movie.

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Scheduled for broadcast on TCM, Saturday, May 18 at 5:45 PM EST.

So, after an absolute frenzy with this film in 2017, it hasn't aired on TCM for about 18 months.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Almost 23 months since the last airing. Coming on TCM in about ten minutes.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Airing now. Less than three months since the last showing.

posted Hide Post
TCM is fully woke now. From the month long "Reframed" series of trigger warnings for classic films last March to the upcoming day long "Ongoing Fight For Justice" series of films set for the anniversary date of George Floyds death om May 25, all hope of non woke programming and commentary seems lost.
They have repeatedly shown a short film chastising me for my poor choice of movie body images, featuring two scary feminists and a gay dude. And they are showing a film I dont believe I have ever seen on the channel before:
The Times Of Harvey Milk.
I just want to watch classic films and not be lectured to. Given our current situation on the Mexican border, the choice of Touch of Evil for the opening season of Noir Alley seems in keeping with the TCM social justice themes.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Out of the depths...

Hey, whadda ya know- Trump's a candidate again and here comes this movie again.

Tonight at 8 Eastern on TCM

posted Hide Post
Followed by Gaslight....
And after last weekends episode of Noir Alley, Muller made mention that apparently viewers were tired of references to HUAC and the blacklist. He went on to claim that HUAC was an integral factor in film noir.