SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Highwaymen (2019)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Highwaymen (2019) Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Just finished viewing it. Ran a little long but the acting was well done. I enjoyed it..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Wife and I watched it. We both enjoyed it.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I liked it. It was good to see a different perspective on the B&C story. Dang they put a lot of miles on Frank Hamer's wife's car, all in the Texas/Oklahoma sun with no AC.

I never picked up why they called him Pancho.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Saw it. Loved it. For those who haven’t seen it, B&C really have no role in the movie. It’s all about the lawmen hunting them down. As a movie, it’s more historically accurate than most.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very well done

enjoyed it quite a bit

it appears they placed an emphasis on correct firearms for the period which we as gun aficianados can appreciate

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought it was pretty good. Costner did a good job with Hamer.
And the vintage photos at the end were cool.
I thought Costner did Devil Anse Hatfield pretty well, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched it last night and enjoyed it. It was jaw dropping to watch Hamer walk into the gun store and ask to see that BAR hanging on the wall and then the Thompson over there etc. Sure a different time for sure!

Posts: 50 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAB:
Just watched it last night and enjoyed it. It was jaw dropping to watch Hamer walk into the gun store and ask to see that BAR hanging on the wall and then the Thompson over there etc. Sure a different time for sure!

Yeah, and that entire haul probably cost him less than $300, and no 4473.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAB:

I'll take 'em.

Which one?

All of 'em. Eek

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
it appears they placed an emphasis on correct firearms for the period which we as gun aficianados can appreciate
Too bad their desire for accuracy didn't extend to the story itself.

Posts: 107259 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the movie. I really like Costner. I thought Harrelson did a great job, too.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
The wife and I just finished watching it. I thought it was well done, overall. Better than most of the stuff I've seen at the theaters the last few years.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I just watched it last night. I thought it was excellent, very well done. On a side note, Netflix has significantly increased their ability to make/produce theatre quality movies and specials. I think this will be a trend of the future, direct streaming movies.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njauto:
On a side note, Netflix has significantly increased their ability to make/produce theatre quality movies and specials. I think this will be a trend of the future, direct streaming movies.

Competition in the "original content" arena has increased quite a bit and now Apple is dipping their toe in the water. Good for us consumers. It should help keep costs down and provide for better content.

-D.H. Lawrence

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a fairly decent movie.

I enjoyed the noir, cars, costumes and sets. Firearms were pretty decent too.

Would've been nice if there was perhaps more accuracy in the storyline, but perhaps that wouldn't be sensational enough.

I thought that it was interesting that Bonnie and Clyde were on screen for so little time and that the focus was on Hamer.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Worth the price of admission, but that's about it.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked it and thought it was pretty good. All of the machine guns were worth it!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
I enjoyed the noir...
Say what?

Posts: 107259 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any particular book or website that is considered the most historically accurate? I watched this film and enjoyed it. Little slow but overall a good flick. Lots of noir. lol

That being said, it piqued my interest and I have found online sources that are all over the place fact wise. One says this one says that. I would like to educate myself on this very interesting tale but I don't want to sound stupid. Ie, I didn't know BC didn't shoot anyone, one site says one officer shot CB in the head first shot to start the gunfight, one mentions a logging truck precipitating the shootout, etc.

Any book in particular stand out? Or podcast, I just found out about those recently.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any particular book or website that is considered the most historically accurate?

"I'm Frank Hamer" It was published in 1968 and uses Frank's personal notes, Ranger Archives and records, as well as recollections from still living family, friends and associates. It is likely the most accurate depiction of Hamer's life and the most (likely) accurate account of the hunt for Bonnie and Clyde.

Frank Hamer was an interesting guy. A real throwback to a bygone era in (then) modern times.

quote:
Bonnie didn't shoot that police officer, yet the movie trailer really plays up this myth. It was Clyde Barrow and Henry Methvin who murdered those two police officers.

No, she didn't. At the time it was believed that she did though.

There was an unnamed/unidentified witness (portrayed in the film as the farmer with the milk bucket) who at the time gave a very detailed description of the Grapevine shooting which included Bonnie delivering a headshot to one of the downed officers while letting out a laugh. The scene in the movie even includes that laugh.

Further, there was evidence at the scene that supported the witness statements, which the movie shows (Hamer noting that Bonnie's footprints show here dragging a foot, asking about that and being informed of Bonnie's injury a month or so earlier from a car crash, which was true).

It wasn't until Methvin's capture that he confessed that it was he and Barrow who shot those officers. Bonnie's footprints were at the scene. Methvin said he opened fire first, waking Bonnie from sleep in the back seat of the car. When the shooting was over she approached one of the downed officers to see if she could help.

Since the movie is told from Hamer and Gault's perspective I'm guessing the filmmakers were showing everything based on what they knew (or thought they knew) at the time, which would have been Bonnie firing into the officer.

But I'm also not a film aficionado, as Para and others here certainly are, and wouldn't know "noir" if I tripped over it, so maybe I'm wrong in my interpretation. Honestly, for all the attention to detail that was shown I had to laugh at the plastic shotgun shells in the hand of the fallen officer in the Grapevine scene.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post