SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Highwaymen (2019)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Highwaymen (2019) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it.

For a book that covers Bonnie & Clyde and a bunch of other period dirtbags, I highly recommend "Public Enemies" by Bryan Burrough; a great read!

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just watched THE HIGHWAYMEN, very enjoyable. I’ll put the Hamer biography mentioned earlier on my Amazon wishlist. Also need to brush up on my Texas history from the timeframe between the World Wars, lots of different things going on, from the Depression, Prohibition, the East Texas oil fields were wild and woolly in the beginning, the whole Ma Ferguson episode, etc.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In the early 1970s, I was with my parents, visiting my paternal grandparents in Many, Louisiana. All this talk of Texas in this thread, but Bonnie and Clyde were killed in Bienville Parish, Louisiana, not too far from my grandparents' farm. One summer night, my dad took me to Natchitoches, where a semi trailer was parked.

SEE THE BONNIE AND CLYDE DEATH CAR!! ADMISSION ONE DOLLAR

My dad gave the guy two bucks and we walked up a ramp into this trailer, and there was a Ford automobile all shot to Hell. I remember my dad asking the guy what model Ford and he said it was a '34 Deluxe. There were two clothing mannequins in the front seat, representing Bonnie and Clyde.
This was not, of course, the actual death car. I recall vividly that the car had a fresh coat of paint, with the bullet holes being under the paint job. It was painted a light tan color, desert tan, I guess you might call it.

"Oh yeah," said my dad to the guy. "Got 'em good." Although I didn't see his face when he made the remark, I could tell by the sound of his voice that it was a "wink, wink" remark, for my benefit, I imagine.

I haven't thought about that in a long time.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107255 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I had a teacher that was from that area in LA where it went down He would talk about it sometimes but as kids we didn't pay much attention. He was also a WWII Vet I wish I would have listened.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

I never picked up why they called him Pancho.

"Pancho" is the Texican familiar for "Frank". All my friends in Tejas and Mexico call me that when we work swim meets together. Big Grin

HTH,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by jjkroll32:
I enjoyed the noir...
Say what?
Big Grin
Big Grin

this made me chuckle
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
In a recent Dan Patrick interview Kevin recalls taking his father's 30-30 to kindergarten for show and tell (imagine that today). He uses the same rifle in Yellowstone. IMDB doesn't mention it but I'd be willing to bet it's the same. Yeah, the gun store scene may be a bit of poetic license as Hamer requisitioned the BAR from the Feds (iirc).

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Well, three cheers for toxic masculinity!
Good story, great antidote to the Bonnie and Clyde lovefest.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good show, worth your 2 hrs to watch. Woody and Costner were good picks for their roles.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How do I see thing thing if I don't subscribe to Netflix? I won't give those people any of my money.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do I see thing thing if I don't subscribe to Netflix? I won't give those people any of my money.

Free trial subscription, make sure to cancel after grace period. FWIW Netflix is the only pay source we have use for.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Any chance that Netflix is one of those companies who become blind and deaf when you try to cancel?

posted Hide Post
My wife and I also enjoyed the movie, and out of curiosity we watched a couple of documentaries about the couple (on Amazon Prime of all places) and it also mentioned that it was Methvin and not Bonnie that killed that officer. I understand the desire and sometimes need to take artistic license for certain stories but when you are making a film about an actual historic event, details of this kind matter.

Posts: 377 | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you. Any chance that Netflix is one of those companies who become blind and deaf when you try to cancel?

You can cancel everything online. Login, go to your account, and there's a big "Cancel membership" button.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Looking at the turnout for B&C's funerals, it would be interesting to see just how they became such huge folk heroes. Word of mouth? The Depression angst? A manipulative press? Was their "fame" mostly regional or nationwide? Clouded thinking as a nation got back to drinking? Wink

On a societal level something was off it would seem.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Looking at the turnout for B&C's funerals, it would be interesting to see just how they became such huge folk heroes. Word of mouth? The Depression angst? A manipulative press? Was their "fame" mostly regional or nationwide? Clouded thinking as a nation got back to drinking? Wink

I think soooooo many people had lost all of their money to sooooo many banks that went under during the great depression, that they saw the banks as total crooks and B+C as some sort of robin hood type thing. Stealing from the rich and giving it to the poor. etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

Newspapers, news reels at the movies, and radio.

Nothing has changed, from then until now. Human nature. Gangsters represented the 20th Century "Man of Action"- a person or persons who could cut through the bullshit and struggle of every day life and live their destiny. The fact that it was a couple- a male/female duo- made it all the more interesting to people- just as it would be today.

The defiant way they lived was intriguing to the public, the violent way they were killed cemented their fame.

The photos- specifically the one of Bonnie with the cigar in her mouth- helped catapult B&C into being legends. Those pics were widely published.
The economic depression in the 1930s meant that people were bored because staying entertained costs money. B&C was a damn interesting subject, with people living vicariously through them.

I'll go so far as to say that Bonnie and Clyde represented archetypal characters which appeal to humans at a subconscious level.

Forget the fact that they were murderous, poor white trash. When you think of Bonnie and Clyde, you think of dashing figures living as they wanted and not growing old- always youthful, and never to be tamed. This is always appealing to people. They ignored all the rules and laws and shoulds and should-nots and did what they wanted.

If you want to say that the public's adulation of Bonnie and Clyde is an indicator that "something was off" in society, you need to point your finger at the entire human race and its inherent nature.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I can understand that appeal but am pretty sure I wouldn't feel good about myself showing up at such a funeral. It's disheartening so many had no such misgivings.

We don't have to go back that far to see how the violent actions of miscreants are ignored, replaced by some romantic higher plane, a contextual reimagining of who they were -- Manson, Bundy, Columbine, Black Panthers, ISIS, Antifa, they all have their fans.

As a young guy when 67's "B&C" came out, yeah, they were cool. I do get it.

posted Hide Post
quote:

If I recall correctly you don’t have to put payment info in on the free trial. Regardless Netflix is quick on the responses.

I too enjoyed this movie.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I liked how the movie was made as He and the deputies understood the situation. Also, the final scene was filmed on location in the same place.

I enjoyed it and will probably watch it again.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post