SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Highwaymen (2019)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Highwaymen (2019) Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what Harrison said after the final shooting scene? It sounded like Latin, maybe monus cerebrus but I can’t tell for sure.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
Does anyone know what Harrison said after the final shooting scene? It sounded like Latin, maybe monus cerebrus but I can’t tell for sure.

I think you mean "manos arriba", Spanish for "hands up" as mentioned earlier.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:

I think you mean "manos arriba", Spanish for "hands up" as mentioned earlier.

That’s it. I don’t know why I thought it was Latin.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For as MEH as I thought Triple Frontier was I thought this was EXCELLENT. It’s no documentary but it’s a damn good flick with excellent actors, acting, set/costume design, dialog etc.

I very much enjoyed this and the period firearms were awesome.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Is that a Colt Monitor.....bad ass.

I know they used BARs amount other high powered rifles to take down Bonnie and Clyde but is the Monitor significant or just a Hollywood choice.

There was a Colt Monitor used in the real life ambush shooting of Bonnie and Clyde, but there's some debate over whether it was Hamer or Gault who used it during the actual ambush. This Colt Monitor is on display in the Texas Ranger Museum.

The long guns used were reportedly:

Frank Hamer - Colt Monitor in .30-06, or Remington Model 8 with extended magazine in .35 Remington
Manny Gault - Remington Model 8 with extended magazine in .35 Remington, or Colt Monitor in .30-06
Bienville Parish Sheriff Henderson Jordan - Winchester 94 in .30-30
Bienville Parish Deputy Prentis Oakley - Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington, borrowed from Louisiana dentist Dr. Henry Sheheen
Dallas County Deputy Bob Alcorn - Remington Model 8, unknown caliber (probably .35 Remington too)
Dallas County Deputy Ted Hinton - BAR in .30-06, borrowed from the Texas National Guard

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
From what I've read, it looks like Hamer was armed with his .30 caliber Remington Model 8 semi-auto that had an extended (15 or 20 round) magazine.

https://www.americanrifleman.o...er-legendary-lawman/

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 1931, Colt introduced a BAR specifically geared for the law enforcement community. It was a commercial Browning Automatic Rifle with a pistol grip, shortened barrel and an elaborate compensator. The first two were shipped to Charlestown Prison (later to become Bunker Hill Community College) in Boston, MA on March 25, 1931. (Serial No’s C-102792, C-102793). The official factory designation was R-80 and commonly known as the “Monitor”.

The FBI purchased approximately 90 Monitors and put them on display in a series of propaganda films depicting Mr. Hoover overseeing some of his agents firing (with tracer) at cars. The Monitor did its job well and soon the cars were chopped to pieces by the armor piercing .30-06. This was Mr. Hoover’s weapon of mass destruction as it put his men on equal footing with the likes of Bonnie and Clyde. The Monitor was the first official “Fighting Rifle” of the FBI.

In the capture and shooting of Bonnie and Clyde, along with a multitude of weapons, BAR’s and one Monitor were used. The Barrow’s gang had two BAR’s, dozens of Colt 1911s, and a variety of other lethal weapons. Captain Frank Hamer of the Texas Rangers had the Monitor (serial number C-103168) that was allegedly presented to him by the Colt Company. The gang never had a chance to use their weapons because they were “cut down” before they could react.

So the Monitor was a modified commercial BAR. Very cool that they mentioned that—adds to the authenticity.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

Last night for me as well, and, again, also enjoyed it. It's an interesting juxaposition against the Bonnie & Clyde movie starring Warren Beatty, to show the two different perspectives. I know of course that the Beatty movie showed a romanticized version of the two, but still, it's an interesting excercise in contrasting POV.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To get an idea of the danger B&C posed to cops, read up on their escape from the apartment in Joplin MO after the locals "surrounded" them.
And... the apartment is now AirBnB available. 84 bucks a night,
BAR not included.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Watched it this morning. I really enjoyed it and thought the acting was very good. I'll be watching it again soon to catch the subtle things that I'm sure I missed.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Some memorable lines/dialog/moments elevate an already good film.

In keeping with another thread here, anyone think the filmmakers could have had more fun shooting in black and white? It's already warm-toned, kinda sepia but Texas at that time in history, yeah, b&w could have stepped things up another notch.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
To get an idea of the danger B&C posed to cops, read up on their escape from the apartment in Joplin MO after the locals "surrounded" them.
And... the apartment is now AirBnB available. 84 bucks a night,
BAR not included.

One of many shootouts and escapes they made. I did some reading up on them and found out Buck Barrow died in the same hospital my mother was born in a couple months later.

The group of lawmen that killed B&C took grief from the "why didn't you give them a chance to surrender" idiots. In every other attempt to arrest them, the B&C gang used massive amount of firepower to shoot their way out.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I really liked it. A tad long, but good actors and a story that was long over due. Loved how little they showed B&C. Ending was wonderful on a number of levels.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

I never picked up why they called him Pancho.

It's a nickname for Francisco. Think Francisco "Pancho" Villa.

So any variation such as Frank or Francis is Pancho.

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting to watch this since it came out, but I've been busy at work. Finally got a night off and watched it after the kids and wife went to bed. Normally I'm not really impressed with Netflix produced movies (Wind River being a notable exception), but The Highwaymen was excellent. I had high hopes for this movie based on the previews, and I really felt like it met or even exceeded them. It's been a while since I've been able to say that about a movie. I'll definitely be watching this one again.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
no singing. and you're not driving.

really enjoyed this. especially the ending.

...[ she bounced around just as well as Faye Dunaway ]...

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

The group of lawmen that killed B&C took grief from the "why didn't you give them a chance to surrender" idiots. In every other attempt to arrest them, the B&C gang used massive amount of firepower to shoot their way out.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. So many decades later and people still complain about cops shooting assailants "too many times" or for not shooting the gun out of his/her hand. Roll Eyes

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
Loved how little they showed B&C.

Just watched this last night, and I agree with the above. Their handling of B&C was outstanding, staying focused on the two main characters and only showing brief snippets of B&C, mostly from behind, far away, etc.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
Loved how little they showed B&C.

Just watched this last night, and I agree with the above. Their handling of B&C was outstanding, staying focused on the two main characters and only showing brief snippets of B&C, mostly from behind, far away, etc.

The only time we get a good, long look at the two bandits is the same time Frank Hamer and Maney Gault do. That's essentially when they became real. All of a sudden they were just "regular people." Obviously that was intentional as everything in the movie is from Frank's and Maney's perspectives, even some of the instances that turned out not to be accurate but were thought to be at the time the hunt was on. I enjoyed the movie.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post