SIGforum
A pleasant surprise; The Final Countdown added to Amazon Prime

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/6720001034

September 08, 2017, 03:50 PM
Kravashera
A pleasant surprise; The Final Countdown added to Amazon Prime
Nothing like some gorgeous Tomcat action. Splash the zeroes! I say again, splash the zeroes!

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein
September 08, 2017, 04:29 PM
Hound Dog
That's a great movie.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher
September 08, 2017, 05:55 PM
Rey HRH
I remember seeing that and the letdown at the end.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
September 08, 2017, 11:42 PM
Expert308
Oh, yeah. Definitely gonna have to make time to watch that again.
September 09, 2017, 11:17 AM
Hound Dog
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I remember seeing that and the letdown at the end.

They almost couldn't stop the attack. It would so jack up the timeline that it would be unrecognizable to what we know of today.

I like how they bombed up the A-6s, meaning they were going after the entire Japanese fleet (A-6s armed with iron bombs are useless against enemy aircraft).

As time travel movies/shows go, this was one of the best.

September 09, 2017, 06:55 PM
911Boss
Thanks for the heads up, just watched it.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

September 10, 2017, 02:23 AM
83v45magna
I broke down about five years ago and bought it on Blu-ray. Great show.

I love the short crew actors scene. They are so bad at acting it kinda makes them lovable.

'Hold it! Hold it!'

'Go hold your own.'

'Who said that!?'

'C'mon Chief. We just want to know what's going on.'

'Whatever happens, you'll be told.'

'When?'

'As soon as the Skipper's ready.'

Then they all just sort of begin hurriedly shuffling off, like a bell just went off or something.

Makes me smile every time.
September 13, 2017, 09:03 PM
sjtill
Just returned from a visit to Pacific Aviation Museum on Oahu--they have a static display of an (Imperial Army) Zero, along with a lot of great WW II stuff and now more recent aircraft.

I don't recall--are the scenes of Zeroes lifted from Tora! Tora! Tora! so they're actually "disguised" AT-6/SNJ's? Saw one of those a few years ago in San Diego air show.

September 14, 2017, 12:14 AM
Hound Dog
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

I don't recall--are the scenes of Zeroes lifted from Tora! Tora! Tora! so they're actually "disguised" AT-6/SNJ's? Saw one of those a few years ago in San Diego air show.

They flew "Zeros" WITH the F-14 Tomcats, filmed just for the movie. They were not real Zeros - they were AT-6's modified to look like Zeros. The same planes likely flew in Tora X3, and I think they used footage from that movie in the end where they showed the attack on Pearl, but that was about it.

There is that one cool scene where the F-14s are 'playing' with the Zeros, and this -14 does a great swoop and looks like he almost ended up in the ocean. That is because he did almost end up crashing. He didn't intend on getting that low, but it was such an awesome shot that they left it in the movie.

Real Zeros are rare - I've only seen about 4 of them in my life (and one of those was the tail section only (AF Museum, Dayton), and one was the cockpit section only (Imperial War Museum, London) ). Real flyable Zeros are extremely rare - I've only seen one in my lifetime.