SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Didja Ever See a Movie Called “The Straight Story?”
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Didja Ever See a Movie Called “The Straight Story?” Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Richard Farnsworth. A true story about a WWII combat veteran whose eyes aren’t good enough to drive a car. He has an estranged brother who he hasn’t seen in 10 years. Gets word that his brother had a stroke, and decides he needs to go see him and heal the relationship. He drives from northwest Iowa (a town called Laurens) to Mt Zion, WI (about 280 miles) on a garden tractor—pulling a homemade trailer.

I recorded the movie months ago because I liked Farnsworth, a thoroughly interesting man. Finally, today, I watched it. One of those poignant, character study movies that is so heavily dependent on the performance of the lead or protagonist. Sissy Spacek, another favorite, plays his daughter. It’s a great movie

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed. The only David Lynch movie I could watch with my parents.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
On a 9 hour flight to Germany in 2000, this was the only movie the plane. And we had bulkhead seating so we could snap our 9 month old’s bassinet into the rail.
Guess what the bulkhead is also used for.....the movie screen.

So yes, I’ve seen the movie. It was good the first couple of times, but then......

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
yup - Harry Dean Stanton plays the brother for the win.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Lots of Harry Dean Stanton lately...

Just watched Lucky (2017), with Harry Dean Stanton of course, David Lynch, Ron Livingston, Tom Skerritt, you'd probably recognize Ed Begley Jr, and James Darren - from Gidget (1959). Streamed it on amazon $3.99.

Also just watched Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973).

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good movie with great character actors!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post