SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anyone else looking forward to the movie 'The Call of the Wild'?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else looking forward to the movie 'The Call of the Wild'? Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted
It was the first book that I read as a kid and it turned me into an avid reader ever since. I also like Harrison Ford and think he was a great choice for the lead role.
Opens Feb. 21.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Read Jack London (Call of the Wild and White Fang) when I was a kid (50+ years ago). Didn’t really like either of them. Movie previews seem to be all CGI; so NO to the movie.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Movie previews seem to be all CGI; so NO to the movie.

That's my take, pretty unconvincing CGI at that from what I saw.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Movie previews seem to be all CGI; so NO to the movie.

That's my take, pretty unconvincing CGI at that from what I saw.

That’s funny, when I saw the trailer I asked my wife why we needed a cgi dog sled scene? Not exciting enough to shoot practical?

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

...Movie previews seem to be all CGI; so NO to the movie.

Agreee on the CGI but I know Mrs Sigmund wants to see it so I'll go - with very low expectations - a week or so after it opens here.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I read all the Jack London books as a kid and liked them. I will be seeing this movie but not necessarily at the theater.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was...until Ford began trashing America.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
It's such a great story, I will see the movie.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
No. Don’t think it can do the book justice.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that preview clip doesn't even look like good CGI to me.
It doesn't make me interested in seeing it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Nope.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Yeah, that preview clip doesn't even look like good CGI to me.
It doesn't make me interested in seeing it.

After watching the trailer, you can be confident that "No animals were harmed in the making of this movie."
In fact, judging from the trailer, no real animals were used at all. Eek

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Like Bassamtic I read all of London’s novels as a kid and will give the movie the benefit of the doubt and go see it.

What’s CGI?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Like Bassamtic I read all of London’s novels as a kid and will give the movie the benefit of the doubt and go see it.

What’s CGI?

Computer-generated imagery.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...er-generated_imagery

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The CGI is shockingly bad. How do you screw up filming a dog? Every scene I saw that was computer generated looked ridiculously fake. It wouldn’t surprise me if Buck fucking talks in this movie.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
After the backlash of "A Dog's Purpose", warranted or otherwise, I don't blame them for wanting to use a CGI dog.

If the storytelling is good, the CGI won't matter as much.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the sunday morning show ruined it for me so , iam gonna pass

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Saw the preview last night and was excited. I do believe we will see it but I mentioned to my wife how bad the CGI looked as well.

I wish they would make a movie of the book Hatchet.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our family had an original, first edition (1903), hardback copy of The Call Of The Wild , complete with color illustrations. My father read it to us even before we could read, and it was one of my first and favorite books to read. I can't imagine that any movie could match it. I doubt I'd care to see it and prove that to myself. Maybe I'll just go dig it up and read it again. Come to think of it, that book was literally 50 years old the year I was born, and now it's approaching 120. I hope I've still got it somewhere.

EDIT: Wow. Just looked it up on Wikipedia, and the picture they show of the cover of the first edition is exactly what I remember. Deja vu.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
probably had to do mostly CGI, because ford is too old to actually ride on a real dog sled or hike in real snow for more than a few feet at a time...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post