SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movies that are so much worse than what you remember them to be.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies that are so much worse than what you remember them to be. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
From years ago. The latest entry for me? Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man. Best I could remember I saw this in the 90s and it wasn't half bad. 2018? What the hell was I thinking?

What are your older movies that you watched years ago that haven't aged well?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Blasphemy! I’m watching it now. Total cheese, but the good kind.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I know some will take it as blasphemy but the one that jumps out to me is Star Wars. I absolutely loved it as a kid, seeing over 10 times in the theater. But coming back as an adult, I saw that Luke was such a whiny bitch it completely ruined the story. I am surprised Han did not shoot him or send him out an airlock.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Nostalgia wildly skews people's perception of actually-terrible movies. I really dislike watching the original Star Wars because it's so bad. The same guy who wrote and directed the Prequels wrote and directed Star Wars, yet people hate them while loving the original trilogy.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
I tried watching Breakfast Club a couple years ago and couldn't finish it.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Maximum Overdrive. I first saw it when i was about 8 years old. Loved it. Now when I watch it, I can appreciate the cheesy, 80's dark comedy vibe, but it's nothing like I remember when I first watched it. Or maybe it was my super crush on Laura Harrington at the time that swayed me into believing that it was the best movie ever.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing after watching Young Guns a couple weeks back. It just wasn’t what I remembered it to be.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Krull.

It was a great Saturday afternoon when that was the matinee of the week on whatever local broadcast network. Awesome blade, flaming horses, and a freaking cyclops! What wasn’t to love?

Bought the DVD from a $5 discount bin somewhere in the early 2000s and... wow. Not exactly the sci-fi fantasy gold I remembered.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
We watched Die Hard on Christmas eve, great movie. Over the next few days we watched DHII and III.

Die Hard II was total crap (still enjoyed the 90's cheese), not the awesome, feel good revenge movie I saw as a young soldier.

III was still a good watch

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many times I've shown my kids movies from my younger years and it's always "Uh dad, this movie is horrible, what were you thinking?" They're usually right, the movie is really bad but it seemed so good way back when. Old TV shows are much worse in this way than movies though. Recently I was watching Miami Vice reruns and they haven't aged well, definitely not as cool as my 19yr old self thought they were.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Loved that movie as a kid (I even had some of the action figures), but hadn't seen it in years.

I watched it again a couple years ago and was aghast at how horribly cheesy it was.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Not a huge movie but Francis Ford Coppola's "You're A Big Boy Now" - 1966, really spoke to me at the time, I was blown away. Seeing it many, many years later I was appalled by this yet-another-coming-of-age POS. Seemingly so fresh at the time but no, soporific, suffocating, predicable, filled with unlikable characters and actors, jeez... I am embarrassed to remember it.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

At nine years old it was pretty awesome...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am torn on this. I used to love and kind of still do, Doug McClure's movies. I was never able to get Warlords of the Deep on dvd, as I remember it being a really neat movie as a kid and wanted to get it for my son to watch. It was on a movie channel one night a few months ago and as I watched it, I couldn't remember what I thought was so cool about it. But,I still like his movies.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Last year, I saw a bit of Top Gun, haven't seen it in decades. At the time it was fun, but now it was hard to watch. Same with Tim Burton's Batman movie with Jack Nicholson- it was embarrassing to re-watch some of it recently. A couple of Sean Connery's James Bond movies fall in the same category, You Only Live Twice and Russia With Love.

Star Wars, I loved as a teenager, but not so much now.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I discussed this and we both looked at each other and said "Scarface!" The acting, especially Pacino, passed as OK back then but it comes off as patently awful today.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Krull.

It was a great Saturday afternoon when that was the matinee of the week on whatever local broadcast network. Awesome blade, flaming horses, and a freaking cyclops! What wasn’t to love?

Bought the DVD from a $5 discount bin somewhere in the early 2000s and... wow. Not exactly the sci-fi fantasy gold I remembered.

-Rob

With the giant throwing star thing?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Plus he had two obedient ferrets, so there's that.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how did he get into greyskull

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Plus he had two obedient ferrets, so there's that.

Wasn't that Beastmaster? Loved that when I was a kid too.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)