SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ken Burns Vietnam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ken Burns Vietnam Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted
Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam starts on PBS in September.

I watched a preview over the weekend, I really want to be excited to see this but the effort to get input from all the sides of the conflict, soldiers, gov., protestors, Vietnamese from both the north and south might be to much.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah it can be too inclusive but will probably be educational for today's youth. I enjoyed the series on the Civil War.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... much like the Baseball series. We got beaten over the head with the segregation of baseball. Yes it's an important notable fact of baseball history, but it was a disproportionate part of the series.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was there thus I lived it. Ken Burns perspective won't have much value for me. If you go to "THE Wall" in Washington DC and read names of those KIA you served with in Viet-Nam your perspective can't adequately be put into words. Sgt USMC 1964-1968.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Hmmm... much like the Baseball series. We got beaten over the head with the segregation of baseball. Yes it's an important notable fact of baseball history, but it was a disproportionate part of the series.

That was my impression. While I generally enjoy Burns' work, he certainly leans left, likes to dwell and over-state social issues as they apply to current events. I expect this latest documentary to delve deep into the counter-culture movement, trying to give more credit to it's existence than it deserves and it's effect on the overall war-effort. 1967 will get blown out of proportion, one single neighborhood, actually one-single intersection in that neighborhood of San Francisco, will get an overwhelming amount of attention.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Burns is a Ted Kennedy-loving, Obama-supporting, Trump-hating liberal. Make no mistake.

Burns said “The fact that he (Trump) could say the things he said about women, and that his adoring masses are not even flinching at that, is Hitler-esque.”

Burns on Trayvon Martin: "Like the amputated limb felt long after it has been cut off, I miss Trayvon Martin." From a speech when he was honored by the National Endowment for the Humanities. Article here.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post