SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bullitt mustang sold for 3.4 million
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullitt mustang sold for 3.4 million Login/Join 
Technically Adaptive
posted
I liked the movie, someone really liked it... From what I recall the seller's family bought it for $2,500. about 25 years or so ago.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve McQueen was the epitome of cool back in the day. I am not surprised at the price.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would've been nice if it made it back to McQueen's family, but I am not surprised at the number either.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
That's a record amount for an auctioned Mustang, previous record being $2.2M for a 67 Shelby Super Snake. I don't know what McQueen offered the guy years ago, probably nowhere near this. Pretty nice nest egg for the family.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
If I heard the seller correctly, he said the family bought the car for $3,500 decades ago and they wanted to start the bidding at that amount with the no reserve. It didn't stay there long, did it?

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
The car has two things going for it, the driver and the chase scene. Take one away and it gets nowhere near the attention. They sold it at peak price time. I doubt 15 years from now it would be worth that. Younger folks getting older by then will have little interest.
Doubt it was bought as an investment though, maybe get income from it at a museum?
Lot of money for a beat up car, spend a lot less and create one.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Unless you're a car guy you probably don't appreciate what it is. It's only original once is a car guy saying. If it were to be restored, the value would be nothing close to what it brought.

It's an iconic movie car driven by an iconic movie star in an iconic chase scene. I forget how many cars there actually were for that movie. This is apparently the last surviving car.

I said to my wife, it would have been a lot more impressive had Steve McQueen driven the car on stage.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised Rick from Pawn Stars didn't buy it. He was Steve Mcqueens biggest fan in the world, or so it seemed. I'm a car guy, used to be a huge car guy, and still can't see that kind of money just so it can sit in a garage and collect dust.

Meanwhile Jeff Gordon is raffling off his personal 2013 Camaro ZL-1 convertible for charity right now......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I can’t believe it didn’t go for more. 10 years from now we’ll all look back and realize how low it’s sale price was.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Meanwhile Jeff Gordon is raffling off his personal 2013 Camaro ZL-1 convertible for charity right now......

I think I saw this car at the mall.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Detective Frank Bullitt’s car wasn’t all beat up and dented, rusted rear bumper, paint and primer adhesion on left side cowling. McQueen would never have let his ride look that bad...or so I believe.

Whatever became of the Charger! Last I read, was sold @1,000,000. in Az

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Whatever became of the Charger!

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They substituted a regular Charger for the 440 R/T. I love the sounds of those big V-8’s and the power shifts. Great movie, great cars.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Whatever became of the Charger!

In the movie, if you look carefully, you'll see the Charger go zoming by in the background.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post