SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What's good in horror?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's good in horror? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
The original The Conjuring (2014 or so?) was pretty intense.

In terms of scary/not gross or funny I'd agree with that and also add Annabelle Creation.

The first Annabelle not so much.

Posts: 5298 | Location: S.E. NC | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
no one mentioned The Shining? (Kubrick version)
I've seen it. It's pretty good.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I will second 1408

John Cusack and Samuel Jackson
Based on King
Great ride.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
I will second 1408

John Cusack and Samuel Jackson
Based on King
Great ride.

seen that, great movie,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
I can tell you that "Event Horizon" didn't make me laugh, not one bit.

However, it did make sure that I was sufficiently scared to never watch it again. Maybe that was just because I was younger, but still not going to watch it to find out.

Funny you mention. When it came out we (family) went and saw it in the theater. When it was over, we all left in silence and didn’t speak a word during the ride home as far as I can recall. The imagery in that film was just as haunting as the story, which honestly wasn’t necessarily the most original - just filmed in a super creepy way.

I’m partial to space disaster/horror type films, though. I like Supernova, Sunshine, and Infini in that genre.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
"Don't be afraid of the dark". The 1973 version. I was only 5 years old and I can distinctly recall shitting my pants. Not metaphorically

Posts: 543 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Jeepers Creepers is a good one.
The first Friday the 13th.
Thirteen Ghosts
The Fog( the original)
Salems Lot

Here's one that I haven't seen since I was a kid in the seventies.... Burnt Offerings.

There's more but I I can't think of them!

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I can't believe I forgot American Werewolf in London.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
not sure if it's been mentioned, but one of the best horror movies I've seen in awhile is The Strangers.

I like real-life, crazy people horror movies and that one will freak you out.

A new-ish one that I recently watched that was a good idea was It Follows. Not great but not bad. Also, its more of a psych thriller than horror, but check out The Invitation.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I enjoyed Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992).

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
-The Descent
-The Cave
-30 Days of Night (saw this as the late show in the theater) and was sort freaked out walking to my car after midnight. It didn't have the same impact on the small screen.

-28 days later
-Event Horizon
-Pandorum - I watch this one nearly every time it comes up on TV
-The Cell

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Crazies with Timothy Olyphant is a good take on a zombie movie while remaining based in reality.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
I'm really looking forward (Dec 1) to Netflix's time-bending horror series 'Dark'. Its their first original series entirely created, produced and shot in Germany, so expect subtitles.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
The original Cat People springs to mind, as does another one from the same director - Curse of the Demon. low on ick, but still...

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hush is very well done and should still be on Netflix. Likewise The Void which could scratch your itch for a better Hellraiser with a touch of Lovecraft. If you end up liking Lovecraftian cosmic horror both the Resurrected with Chris Sarandon and In the Mouth of Madness with Sam Neil are atmospheric and have their moments.

Posts: 23 | Registered: July 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I just watched "Raw" last night.
It was surprisingly good.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mouth of Madness is just...strange. Almost disturbing, but thoughtful. I'm not really sure it's a horror movie.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Pet Sematary scared the everlovin' shit outta me and produced nightmares.

It may just because my family in East TN really does have a pet cemetery.

We watched Pet Semetary on our honeymoon many years ago when the first wife and I got married. It scared the crap out of me. I still won't watch it, and that's been nearly 30 years ago.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post