SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What's good in horror?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's good in horror? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If you liked Tucker and Dale, I bet you'd like Severance, Cabin in the Woods, Slither, etc.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
When I ask about horror, I always get silly/goofy flicks suggested. Maybe I'm asking for the wrong thing. I know that humor is a big part of the horror genre so is there another genre that doesn't include the humor?

Not looking for a gross out, more psychological, screwing with your mind, question reality sort of thing.

Audioholic, I did like both The Exorcise and Serpent and the Rainbow.

I can tell you that "Event Horizon" didn't make me laugh, not one bit.

However, it did make sure that I was sufficiently scared to never watch it again. Maybe that was just because I was younger, but still not going to watch it to find out.

Dude! Same here. I saw it in the theater when it came out many years ago, and it freaked me out enough to never want to watch it again!

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Horror on Netflix Streaming that's not cheesy/goofy...

The Sixth Sense, but everyone's seen that.
Fenris mentioned The Babadook.
Ooh! It Follows! That's decently creepy.
One of my favorite haunted house movies, The Legend of Hell House (1973).
Train to Busan is one of the better modern horror flicks I've seen, and I thought the zombie genre was all played out these days.
A couple of cheap indie horror flicks that are pretty cool are I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House, and We Are Still Here starring my favorite horror actress Barbara Crampton.
Not scary but I love the atmosphere of both Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow and Neil Jordan's Byzantium. In the case of Byzantium, it's similar to his Interview with a Vampire except a little more sure-handed in direction, and Gemma Arterton is hot and Saoirse Ronan rocks every role she's in.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't believe I did not add 1408.

Must-see.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:

The Sixth Sense, but everyone's seen that.
Fenris mentioned The Babadook.
Ooh! It Follows! That's decently creepy.
One of my favorite haunted house movies, The Legend of Hell House (1973).
Train to Busan is one of the better modern horror flicks I've seen, and I thought the zombie genre was all played out these days.
A couple of cheap indie horror flicks that are pretty cool are I Am the Pretty Thing that Lives in the House, and We Are Still Here starring my favorite horror actress Barbara Crampton.
Not scary but I love the atmosphere of both Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow and Neil Jordan's Byzantium. In the case of Byzantium, it's similar to his Interview with a Vampire except a little more sure-handed in direction, and Gemma Arterton is hot and Saoirse Ronan rocks every role she's in.

Excellent suggestions. I consistently enjoy your tastes in movies.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if these are still on Netflix or Prime but check out Pandorum, Insidious, The Thing isn't scary to me but its a damn good movie, Bone Tomahawk (might be a bit too gory and off beat its like a western horror), Event Horizon used to get me but upon a recent rewatch it was better left in my past. 28 days later and weeks if you are into zombie movies. The Mist with Tom Jane is a good one.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
The Grudge freaked me out quite a bit, and horror movies usually don't do anything to me.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Lots of good choices here

I'll add:
-Sinister
-Annabelle
-Insidious 1-3
-In the mouth of madness
-The abandoned
-The Strangers
-The Monster (2016)
-The Mothman Prophecies

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Watching the Babadook now. Is it bad that I hope the kid dies soon to give me some peace? Good gravy, what an asshole.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Kids in movies are almost always wretched.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
Mama (2013)

This (!!!) and I'd like to add:

Adrenalin: Fear the Rush
Outpost

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Pet Sematary scared the everlovin' shit outta me and produced nightmares.

It may just because my family in East TN really does have a pet cemetery.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:

Originally posted by 46and2:
Excellent suggestions. I consistently enjoy your tastes in movies.

Thank you sir. It used to be my profession - I managed a video store in my youth! Razz

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I checked out some clips of Event Horizon. I did see it but it wasn't memorable enough. I'm going to try Amityville Horror 2: The Possession and if that doesn't work I'm going to just have to realize this genre isn't my thing.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Lots of good suggestions here I would like to add You're Next.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with a lot of what everyone has posted here. I just think Netflix's selection of horror movies leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of B or even C level movies (is that a thing? If not, it is now).

The thing with horror movies, much like comedies, is you have to find what you like. People like different types of comedy and the same goes for horror. For a lot of horror movies, any time you have someone say this movie or that movie is really scary, you'll have at least one or two people saying it wasn't scary at all.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:
... For a lot of horror movies, any time you have someone say this movie or that movie is really scary, you'll have at least one or two people saying it wasn't scary at all.
It's a good point. I guess I just don't get what's scary about these movies. I do get the humorous ones but anything beyond being scared by a cheap jump scare seems to be beyond me.

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Some of it is the setting in which you watch (or im my example - after you watch).

I saw the first Hallowween movie at midnight during a Halloween party. Then - I had to walk home a mile or so in the dark at 2 or 2:30am. The whole trip home I was hearing stuff in the woods and thinking I was a goner...

Or as a little kid - staying up late in a dark house and watching horror movie(s) and your mind starts playing tricks on you.

As an adult, I haven't found any of them all that scary. Disturbing maybe.
I found the new IT movie pretty damned disturbing and scary.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Lots of good choices listed.

IMO the original Alien is hard to beat for a real thriller with not so much focus on gore. I really liked The Excorcist and The Conjuring too as far as types you seem to be looking for. If you want to check out something older and classic, watch Forbidden Planet made in 1956.

I like a really lot of horror movies but the Saw and Friday the 13th series are not my cup of tea.

For the halloween season check out the first Jeepers Creepers. Love that old truck the creature drives around in LOL.

I don't think I saw it mentioned but I really like Silent Hill. Lots of interesting stuff going on in that including a wide array of creatures. Based on the game.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
no one mentioned The Shining? (Kubrick version)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post