SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What's good in horror?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's good in horror? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I've never really got into the horror genre. I'm definitely not into schlock or cheesy/goofy flicks unless it's comedy. Gross and bloody isn't my thing if there's no real purpose. I know a big part of the horror genre is the silliness but that's pretty boring.

Is there anything it there that would genuinely creep me out?

Netflix or Amazon prime availability is a plus.

We watched Hell raiser 1 and 2. They were ok but could have been much better. "The Witch" (VVITCH?) was boring and not creepy at all.

What you got?

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original The Conjuring (2014 or so?) was pretty intense.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
The original The Conjuring (2014 or so?) was pretty intense.
I'll check it out, thanks.

Edit - the scariest part about this one is that I may have to go to the video store to find it. Eek Ick!

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
A little off beat, but you might try "Babadook".

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
A little off beat, but you might try "Babadook".
it's on Netflix. Good, good!

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
You may get what you are after with "Channel Zero".

Season one Candle Cove aired last year, and season two No End House has been running recently with the last couple of episodes coming up.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
In no particular order:

30 Days of Night
Army of Darkness (horror/comedy)
Bubba Hotep (horror/comedy)
The Conjuring 1 & 2
Dawn of the Dead (1978 & 2004 versions), then watch Shaun of the Dead as a finisher
Don't Breathe
Drag Me To Hell
The Exorcist
The Fog (1980)
The Frighteners (horror/comedy)
Innocent Blood
Let The Right One In
Lord of Illusions
The Mist
Motel Hell (horror/comedy)
Nightbreed
Phantasm
Poltergeist (1982)
Re-Animator (horror/comedy)
The Serpent and the Rainbow (cheesey ending but has good actual scares)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Trick 'r Treat (2007) (just a fun Halloween flick)

These are all worth a watch, each has it's own charm or innovation. It helps to consider the era in which they each were made as some had quite good effects without relying on CGI dreck. If you watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre there's very little actual gore as the movie relies on a relentless buildup of tension to keep your eyeballs on the screen.

Dead Alive (1992) If you're ready a bit of sick humor give it a try. It's one of Peter Jackson's early movies and is literally dripping with obtuse humor and blood by the 55 gallon drum load. It really is funny due to it's Kiwi style of humor but was purposely made to be a gross-out.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like a mix of the funny ones and not funny ones.

Funny:
Cabin in the Woods
Slither
Severance
Sceam 1
Army of Darkness
Bubba HoTep
Sean of the Dead

Not so funny:
Saw 1
Event Horizon
The Ring / Ringu
Old Boy (US and Original)
The Descent
30 Days of Night
The Thing (original)
Exorcist III (with George C Scott)
Devils Rejects

The funnier ones are really my favorite (Severance, Cabin in the Woods, Sean of the Dead, etc), but the others have their place, too. 30 Days of Night is surprisingly good, IMO, and Exorcist III is really the best of the bunch and subtle, and The Descent is very well done. And if you've never seen Saw I, it's quite good, too, and may surprise you.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
When I ask about horror, I always get silly/goofy flicks suggested. Maybe I'm asking for the wrong thing. I know that humor is a big part of the horror genre so is there another genre that doesn't include the humor?

Not looking for a gross out, more psychological, screwing with your mind, question reality sort of thing.

Audioholic, I did like both The Exorcist and Serpent and the Rainbow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The Descent isn't the funny sort, at all, yet is modern, pretty unique, and very well done.

Same with Exorcist III, 30 Days of Night, SAW I, The Ring, Old Boy... have you seen those?

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
When I ask about horror, I always get silly/goofy flicks suggested. Maybe I'm asking for the wrong thing. I know that humor is a big part of the horror genre so is there another genre that doesn't include the humor?

Not looking for a gross out, more psychological, screwing with your mind, question reality sort of thing.

Audioholic, I did like both The Exorcise and Serpent and the Rainbow.

I can tell you that "Event Horizon" didn't make me laugh, not one bit.

However, it did make sure that I was sufficiently scared to never watch it again. Maybe that was just because I was younger, but still not going to watch it to find out.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What about:

The Box
the entire set of Hannibal films
28 Days/Weeks Later
The Cell

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
A Comedy of Terrors, 1963. Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre, Basil Rathbone. Its a comedy with a horror theme and quite funny.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ANSaqkscG5E

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Steven King's Rose Red (mini series) was pretty good.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Or the Dario Argento (Italian) films (Susperia, Deep Red...)?

And Asian Horror, some already mentioned (The Eye, Ringu, Old Boy, Snowpiercer...)?

The genres are all over the place so there's no simple way to find them all, unfortunately. Some are technically Thrillers, Crime Dramas, Foreign, Supernatural, etc.

The recent sci-fi film The Signal, mentioned above, has Laurence Fishburn (also in Event Horizon, also not funny and very good). The Signal was pretty good. I was surprised.

Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

Audioholic, I did like both The Exorcise and Serpent and the Rainbow.

A few more offbeat but interesting flicks:

Near Dark (1987) (Bill Paxton & Lance Hendricksen keep things interesting)
May (2002)
The Possession (2012)
Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016)
Mama (2013)
Frailty (2001)

As for The Exorcist, if you haven't watched "The Version You've Never Seen" cut give it a try. They put back scenes and effects cut because it was "too scary" for the early 70's. The scene where Linda Blair crab-walks down a staircase is genuinely creepy.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
Some that have not yet been mentioned -

Halloween
Halloween 2
The Howling
Dog Soldiers
Texas Chainsaw 3D
Bone Tomahawk
28 Days Later
The Haunting (1963)
The Ring
Frailty
Alien

And, if you decide to take a break, try -

Black Sheep
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
I can tell you that "Event Horizon" didn't make me laugh, not one bit.

However, it did make sure that I was sufficiently scared to never watch it again. Maybe that was just because I was younger, but still not going to watch it to find out.
I want to say that I've seen that one. I'll have to look it up.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Vicious:
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
That was freakin hilarious.