SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I love fly fishing too, but not quite this much
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I love fly fishing too, but not quite this much Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is definitely a little nuts. I am chasing bonefish in the Bahamas right now, so not possible here.

Posts: 46 | Location: Montana | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Some my friends and I get together and go out the morning of Super Bowl Sunday on couple of the local NH rivers. The law here is you have to be in the water and not on the bank or ice.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I used to go after steelhead on the Salmon River in NY in the winter. I always found that it was warmer in water.

Damn I spent some nasty days out there.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIIIII....don't think I'd like that...(floating on ice drift). What could possibly go wrong Eek

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the Yoop, we use little shacks. You can drink beer in them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
There is nothing so rewarding as the perfect cast and watching your line float down stream.

Fly fishing takes me away...

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FPNunes:
fishing takes me away...

There, fixed ya post. I've been a few times, and have not much skill with it. gimme bass an sea fishing all day. Hell even surf fishing

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Nice. I love devotion...a lil crazy, but something only another angler can understand.

What I wanna know is how did he get on that ice...and more importantly how did he get off? Wink

20 years ago I was just getting into it and hanging out in a local fly shop trying to pick up a few tips while throwing my money away on stuff I didn't know how to use. Came across this promotional poster of a picture of a shallow salt water flat with turquoise carribean blue water barely rippled by a single wave. A single-engine Cessna, something along the lines of a 172 or 182, was in the water...no, not on the water...partly submerged in the water and more or less upright, with the cockpit and wings above the water surface. On top of the wing was some guy making a long flowing fly cast. The plane was in fairly decent shape and I would guess hadn't been there long, so maybe it was the pilot or a passenger. I must've stared and admired that poster for 15 minutes, and eventually offered to buy that poster but the clerk smiled and wouldn't sell it to me...Passion, pure and simple.

quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I used to go after steelhead on the Salmon River in NY in the winter. I always found that it was warmer in water.

Damn I spent some nasty days out there.

Coldest day I fly fished it started at 4 degrees. The water was most definitely warmer than the air. When I pulled trout from the water within seconds you could see ice form on their scales. One of my fishing buddies was a fly fishing guide and pointed out to me that temps this cold could cause fish eyes to freeze and the fish to go blind and as we were catch and release that day we worked to return the fish to water fast.

Had another buddy develop a tiny bit of frost bite in his fingers on that trip that plagued him for weeks after the trip.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Not too many FF fishing the Missouri today. Cold and snowy.

Generally if it's remotely above freezing they are out there.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FPNunes:
There is nothing so rewarding as the perfect cast and watching your line float down stream.

Yep. I love laying out a good cast. Doesn't hurt, tho, if your line tightens and your rod bends somewhere along the float... Big Grin

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FPNunes:

Yep. I love laying out a good cast. Doesn't hurt, tho, if your line tightens and your rod bends somewhere along the float... Big Grin

Amen, brother! I still get that rush from stripping a line and see those gorgeous colors of Mr. Rainbow. Smile

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and then there is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpyr4vJatsE

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
and then there is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpyr4vJatsE

What kind of lure is that? Red and white and looks like some type of a Lazy Ike lure with a cup on the bottom that makes a pretty good ruckus on the surface.

He should have run the line to a rod on shore and used an outrigger tension release to hold the line on the drone. If he'd have hooked a big Muskie, it might have been bye bye to the drone.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to guess it's shallow and leave it there. Not a brilliant idea anyway. My winter waders are 5 mm and my toes still get cold as ice. Got to get out every once in a while to walk them warm again. Icy guides, slippery shoreline all keep you thinking take it slow and careful...

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post