SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars - Has Disney lost its way?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars - Has Disney lost its way? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Thought this was worth a read ...

Solo’ Is Failing Because Disney Has No Vision for the ‘Star Wars’ Franchise (Commentary)

“Solo” never had a chance to succeed because Disney never gave it a reason to exist

In the past few years, in which Disney and Lucasfilm have acted terrified they might ruin their “Star Wars” cash cow by making movies that don’t exactly fit some mathematical formula of what a “Star Wars” movie looks like, I feel like they missed an important detail — a detail that is becoming very clear with “Solo” shaping up to be a massive disappointment.

There are other ways to damage a brand than just by making bad movies, or movies that don’t appeal on the surface to the audience you’re targeting. You can diminish a franchise just as easily by coasting on former glories instead of actually moving forward with new ideas

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, they moved forward with ideas alright. They caved into the same morass of social justice bullshit that the publishing industry, book/comic conventions, comic movies, the gun industry and music industry. If you don't speak and think the right way your ideas, thoughts are not only invalid but racist, homophobic, transphobic, quadraphobic, safety phobic, etc etc.

This right here has summed up the whole of the star wars films since Disney bought them.

Their scripts are written by a committee of social justice box checkers. Does it have x, y,z are the he's a she, and the she a they, and the they a he. Are the weapons, not weapons, are the bad good and the good bad, are the people deprived of free shit.

No, Disney it is not because you don't bring forth ideas that your star wars brand suck's Luke's tit milk. It is because you are pandering to everyone and not actually making a fucking story.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Solo is a typical Disney soulless cash grab. They didn't buy the rights to Star Wars to do anything but make bank. Honestly, the only thing I cared for a little was Rogue 1, and mainly because everyone died.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Oh, they moved forward with ideas alright. They caved into the same morass of social justice bullshit that the publishing industry, book/comic conventions, comic movies, the gun industry and music industry. If you don't speak and think the right way your ideas, thoughts are not only invalid but racist, homophobic, transphobic, quadraphobic, safety phobic, etc etc.

This right here has summed up the whole of the star wars films since Disney bought them.

Their scripts are written by a committee of social justice box checkers. Does it have x, y,z are the he's a she, and the she a they, and the they a he. Are the weapons, not weapons, are the bad good and the good bad, are the people deprived of free shit.

No, Disney it is not because you don't bring forth ideas that your star wars brand suck's Luke's tit milk. It is because you are pandering to everyone and not actually making a fucking story.

Lighten up, Francis.

I think Gearhounds has it. Disney is just milking Star Wars without any clear vision. And Disney doesn't really understand Star Wars. And maybe most importantly, it may be that we just don't need any more Star Wars movies. That dead horse has been beaten.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The Last Jedi for me was a rip off of many prior films. This franchise has been around since 1977. Its just ran out of juice. And, for the record I like Eddie Izzard. He is my favorite comedian. Give him a try.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
If ever there was a clear time for Disney to market May 4th it was this year. It was a Friday. They had a Star Wars movie in the can, ready to be released and they wiffed. The marketing for Solo haze been next to nonexistent compared to the last few Disney Star Wars releases. Perhaps even Disney is getting tired?

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Solo and it was a snoozefest.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Lighten up, Francis.

I think Gearhounds has it. Disney is just milking Star Wars without any clear vision. And Disney doesn't really understand Star Wars. And maybe most importantly, it may be that we just don't need any more Star Wars movies. That dead horse has been beaten.

It's not a matter Disney not understanding Star Wars. It's a matter of them placating the masses by writing shit scripts aimed at the lowest common denominator. They have continually shown that they care more about the social justice aspect of their productions rather than the originality of them. That's biting them in their asses but they'll continue with the bullshit story about how people are burnt out on Star Wars. They know full well what the problem is, but they'll never publicly announce that the majority of the >>>>>>TICKET BUYING<<<<<< public does not believe in the same SJW asshattery as they do. DSgrouse made a very valid point in reference to the article posted. They have pushed so many "feel good" ideas in each of the movies that they forgot the plot along with just about everything else that doesn't involve some kind of diversity.

FUCK DISNEY!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disney has been in the Tank for progressives for years period.
Walt probably has rolled over in his grave so many times by now its not funny.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
It’s not Disney. Disney has some great stuff. Infinity War was fantastic for what it was and for what they needed to do.

It’s Kathleen Kennedy. She’s a virtue-signaling SJW idiot, and her people are sycophantic idiots. Disney should fire her and give the franchise to Dave Feloni, IMO.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Solo is a typical Disney soulless cash grab. They didn't buy the rights to Star Wars to do anything but make bank. Honestly, the only thing I cared for a little was Rogue 1, and mainly because everyone died.

Great post and point. Nailed it.

I would add that they should be making more “adult” films, quit playing it safe, and quit mainstreaming every line and frame to fucking death. It’s just vanilla, and like gear said so eloquently put it, a cash grab. No more of my money. I laughed when I realized the local state of the art megaplex, at the same time showing Infinity War, Deadpool sequel, and a spin off Star Wars film. Disney is a glutton and I’m done with their corporation at the theater. Anything they make, I’ll wait til Netflix has it. I wish someone was making great shit today. The last time I left a theater blown away was the first Matrix film. Star Wars has so much more potential and fucking Disney is like a fat, ugly girl who fell out of the tallest ugly tree in the forest, and hit every got damn branch on the way down. Good news is the fans are calling for SJW Kennedy’s head. Bye Felicia, and don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

Some folks need to read up on Disney and their business practices. They are one of the nastiest corps out there. They’re real big on laying off Americans and replacing them with Indians too, either offshore or H1B Visas. Just refuse to support a billion dollar profit per year corporation that does this and that’s just the tip of the iceberg of the shit they do. Fuck Disney.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I am a huge Star Wars fan too. This is the first Star Wars movie I didn't go right out and see. TLJ was a huge turn off for me.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXuWJsMQcVc

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Doesn't help that they took the entire old expanded universe of books and threw them out for complete garbage.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Doesn't help that they took the entire old expanded universe of books and threw them out for complete garbage.

This.

They had literally an entire universe to work with. Lucas started it with his shitty prequels and Disney finished it with their shitty sequels.

But hey, you can always see Darth Vader rapping and tap dancing at the Disney theme parks so it’s all good.

Gear hounds was right-nothing more than a giant money grab.

Fuck Disney.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Disney has been in the Tank for progressives for years period.
Walt probably has rolled over in his grave so many times by now its not funny.

I thought that he was cryogenically frozen, Futurama style.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
It’s not Disney. Disney has some great stuff. Infinity War was fantastic for what it was and for what they needed to do.

It’s Kathleen Kennedy. She’s a virtue-signaling SJW idiot, and her people are sycophantic idiots. Disney should fire her and give the franchise to Dave Feloni, IMO.

I'm sure truer words have been spoken, but this is right up there.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I get what you are saying, My position is that it is Disney. If it was really just K.K. they would have tossed her after the first shitfest of the force awakens. No, they have kept her in charge. Her higher-ups have consciously made the decision to keep her in place. Reaffirming after every shitfest movie that this is the direction they want to go.

There is also one more factor I forgot to mention.

According to a 2014 article America only at best accounts for roughly 35/40 percent of a movie's income. 70-80% of the income of most modern movies is actually from worldwide sales.
https://deadline.com/2014/09/a...dios-oversas-841427/

This means to hollywood that american ideals, and morals must be squashed for the homogeneity of thought the world pays for. At the time i read a similar article back in 2014, i think Michael Medved ( i may be wrong) in one of his radio episodes that China is almost 1/3 of any movies box office numbers. I think this fact that Hollywood is no longer making films for america, but the world in general is why we have this utter bullshit pc crap. I am not sure that they movies would do any less if they had less PC, but hard to tell till we have a few movies that are like that. Then we would need to compare national and world wide numbers to see.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Don't believe that "The Star Wars Story has been tapped out." There are SCORES of Expanded Universe (EU) books and materials out there that prove that there are literally infinite possibilities.

Didney Worl bought a franchise with unlimited revenue-generating potential, but they are squandering it (and poisoning the brand) by the SJW crap plots they put out. I agree 100% that their #1 priority is NOT making a good story - it's virtue signaling.

It's really a shame, because there could be dozens of really good movies they could produce if they only had their priorities straight.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Lets be honest, if Episode IV A New Hope was made today by Disney here is what the changes would have been:

1. Leia is the Jedi that Kenobi trains.
2. Han would be black.
3. Han and Luke would hook up.
4. Leia and Chewy would have hooked up.
5. Cee3PO would have been a flaming gay male persona robot.
6. All the bad guys would remain white and have massive white privilege.

They had great story lines to use via the Star Wars universe books, graphic novels, and comics. All of that was thrown out with "The Force Awakens". I had favorite Star Wars books I read over and over again(At least once a year I would read "I, Jedi", and the whole Luke and Mara Jade adventures/courtship during the Thrawn story line). I haven't picked those books up once because Disney and Lucas Films killed the entire story line. For me it is thinking about what was, thinking about what could have been, but knowing what is.

I have actually enjoyed the fan made films on youtube better than what Disney has put out. Oh well, I still have the Knights of the Old Republic, Disney hasn't screwed that up yet.........so far. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:

This 1000%

I think Disney was leaving Lucasfilm alone because of all the money they were making. With the disaster that has been solo and no telling what actual budget was with all the reshoots I imagine Disney might step in and do something but won’t hold my breath.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post