SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars - Has Disney lost its way?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars - Has Disney lost its way? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
The Star Wars franchise had value because of geeks like me (us). Too miss that point and stray from the path they will diminish the value of the product they bought.

Still --- Solo was ok in my book.

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Disney never had the way.

Say whatever you want about George Lucas and the prequels (I don't think they were that bad) it was his world, his story, and he cared about it.

Disney never cared about it. They didn't buy it to make great movies and advance the story, they bought it purely to make money. The Force Awakens was not bad, but that's all it needed to be. It didn't need to be a homerun, it just needed to assure the fans that Star Wars was ok and in good hands. And, for the most part it did that. It had issues, but it was still fun and a decent re-entry into the series.

Then came Rogue One, a fantastic movie. One of the reasons people loved it? New characters. It was a great movie, and as much as we all knew the basic storyline, it was still fun to see a stand alone movie with new people and new locations. They all die in the end, which was the proper way to end it, no fake ending just to drag it on for another movie. And of course, the end.. what the fans have wanted forever, Vader kicking total ass, even if it was a short scene it was dark and awesome.

Then comes The Last Jedi. The movie that proved Rogue One was a fluke. And while The Force Awakens was OK, and set up the story to go somewhere and gain some much needed depth, they decide to shit all over the franchise and the fans. I'm not even all that upset over the female lead women empowerment issue, I don't care.. fine, Rey is a fine character, doesn't have to be a man this time. But you set up a lot of things in TFA that didn't pay off, Snoke is nobody and just ... dies. Ray is nobody. Hux is a total bumbling cartoon villain, Kylo is a whiny bitch who has no gravitas, and the story line is total shit. I digress, there are already threads on how shitty this movie was.

Watch the video below, you don't have to watch the whole thing, just the first minute until Rian Johnson is done talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yDAYsQOJsY

This is who you turn over the Star Wars franchise to?? What the fuck? On top of everything you double down on everything and tell the fans how they are wrong and you will drive the series even more left and SJW bullshit will be added and by the way Rian Johnson is getting his own trilogy now. Then you shove Solo at us mere months later, the ire and rancor over TLJ has barely started to die down. I liked Solo, again it wasn't great, but at least it didn't shit all over the franchise. But fans boycotted the opening, and casual fans stayed away because they were afraid it would suck ass.

Disney has a long record of being a giant corporate behemoth with a bad track record of nasty actions and shitty business practices. They don't give a shit about Star Wars. And that's OK, they are a business, they are in it to make money and milk it for all its worth. I get that, its capitalism in action.

But this is a property that needs someone who cares about it running it. Fuck Kathleen Kennedy, they do need Dave Filoni. He is a Star Wars fan, and did some great work on the Clone Wars series. that was a very well done series, it gave the fans what they wanted, and it didn't shove SJW BS at us the whole time.

Star Wars fans and nerds don't want a movie we want an event, we want to come out of the theater and be geeked out by the awesomeness. I remember right after Disney bought Lucasfilm I was in Disney World. They had Star Wars tchotchkes everywhere and I was geeked to find some cool little statues, or pictures, or other Star Wars shit to add to my collection. There was nothing, everything was Boba Fett with Mickey ears, or Vader with Mickey Ears, or Luke in a Disney animated style. Nothing for an adult hard core fan like me. The ones who grew up with it, who raised our kids on it, and who spend our money on it. Which was a shame, because they could have gotten a lot of money out of me.

The sad thing is how much more money they could be making. They can still fire Kennedy and put Filoni in charge and maybe save the franchise, but if they don't, it will be dead. It already is to many fans, and they are about to lose the rest. One more weak movie and there wont be any fan base left.

Disney doesn't care about the fans, and in this property the fans matter.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I saw Solo yesterday. I liked it.

Say what you will, the bulk of the Star Wars story has focused on the life and background of the Skywalker family. We are introduced to this smuggler/rogue Han Solo and his sidekick Chewbacca in a canteen and they become key figures in the story, yet we know nothing about them.

Solo fills in a lot of the blanks. I'm not going to post spoilers, but I felt the back story of Solo fulfills the promise of fleshing out characters and opening the door to further exposition (Star Wars is, after all, a money-maker).

My only gripe is that I think some scenes ran a bit too long. The movie tips in a 2 hours 15 minutes, and I think they could have brought it in at under two hours. Just my personal opinion of course. I'm put off in general by the overuse of special effects in movies, so this isn't just a knock against Solo.

Like so many things in life, people tend to have strong opinions over things about which they have no personal experience. I suspect this is true of Solo, too.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen solo yet. Not a protest just a timing issue. I don't do premieres as I rarely get a good seat and it's a lot of hassle. Inevitably some idiot is there with his mom who is at their first movies in decades and he has to narrate what is going on. My dad and I are planning to go this weekend. I love and hate movie theaters.
I agree with most of the characters portrayals by Lord Vaalic. Although I didnt really care for Rogue One as I didnt like the ambiguity of good guy / bad guy. It did however have more complex characters and was written for an adult audience. But I grew weary of the 'it's the star wars movie I always wanted' crap.
Watch the documentary "the people vs. George Lucas" and in it George states, "I make children's movies" and that is key. It explains JarJar etc. And damn if I let myself be 13 again I love the shit out of the prequels. "Dad, why did Ben Knobi disappear before Darths lightsaber even hit him" "how was he talking to Luke in the cockpit? " and on and on. I must have made my dad weary.
I was engaged and I was a fan for life. When seeing star wars is your first movie in a theater, and Indiana Jones is your second, no other movie comes close to that effect on me as a kid. It was magical.
The marvel movies have become that for my kids. Thanks Disney, screw you. My kids dont give a crap about star wars, they didnt like rogue one, hate the whiny in force awakens. From a cowardly character who runs around screaming Rey Rey the whole movie and kylo with some freakish daddy and uncle issues.

They didnt connect and neither did I.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I still don’t know why we need Rogue One and Solo when they could have made a film about Jedis. Them kicking ass, lightsaber duels, something new we haven’t seen before. Regurgitation, playing it safe, meh. I’d rather pay to see a full Darth Maul film. A dark film with him killing a bunch of people. I don’t mind the new Skysalker is some girl but geez write something good. TFA was Star Wars redone. And TLJ was a clusterfuck SJW and Verizon film. Rogue One was good but we already knew what happened there in 1977. Never a fan of prequels. Move it forward.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or pick a time in the 10,000 year history and make a film from there.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen Solo yet but Rogue One was very good I thought. Last Jedi was terrible to me.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just tired of the empire/first order and I don't care about the characters anymore. I want movies about the old republic and the sith/jedi war not endless spinoffs of a worn out story. An epic film about the sith and jedi at the height of their power with characters and worlds we've never seen? No, we haven't seen the origin of R2 D2, let's watch him roll off the assembly line instead.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I liked Last Jedi and Solo and think all this "sky is falling" stuff about Star Wars is garbage.

Star Wars HAS TO MOVE FORWARD and can't stay stuck in the past no matter how much the SW fanboys think it should. It's about time we get new characters and the elderly ones dies off or become one with The Force.

I know this isn't popular around here, but it's just how it is.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I still don’t know why we need Rogue One and Solo when they could have made a film about Jedis. Them kicking ass, lightsaber duels, something new we haven’t seen before. Regurgitation, playing it safe, meh. I’d rather pay to see a full Darth Maul film. A dark film with him killing a bunch of people. I don’t mind the new Skysalker is some girl but geez write something good. TFA was Star Wars redone. And TLJ was a clusterfuck SJW and Verizon film. Rogue One was good but we already knew what happened there in 1977. Never a fan of prequels. Move it forward.

I always wanted them to make a film in the Knights of the Old Republic universe. Just a straight up Jedi movie.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Disney has been in the Tank for progressives for years period.
Walt probably has rolled over in his grave so many times by now its not funny.

Absolutely! You could see this years before they got hold of Star Wars franchise. One trip through the Pirates of the Caribbean could tell you that. Used to be pirates chasing women, etc. doing what pirates do. Now it's women chasing pirates with brooms & whatnot. I even understand they now have replaced the "Red head" in the auction scene and made her a pirate captain. Yep, go ahead and replace the initials WDW with SJW.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I liked Last Jedi and Solo and think all this "sky is falling" stuff about Star Wars is garbage.

Star Wars HAS TO MOVE FORWARD and can't stay stuck in the past no matter how much the SW fanboys think it should. It's about time we get new characters and the elderly ones dies off or become one with The Force.

But is there a reason it has to be absolute dog shit?

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Seriously

you can draw a straight line from the shit show that was the Last Jedi to the bad performance of Solo

After watching the OJ Simpson white bronco chase....in space....featuring Leia as Mary Poppins and Mark Hamil as the pussy formerly known as Luke Skywalker...people are staying away

And it’s a shame because Solo is solidly entertaining. Not great. But it’s definitely worth seeing.

But after the disaster of TLJ people would rather see Deadpool 2...something they can rely on not to suck

I only saw Solo after hearing from people I trust that it was worth watching

And I’ll do the same with 9

I paid money and stood in line to get access to the worldwide event for TFA where they showed episodes 1-6 then premiered 7

I waited at midnight and took my kids out of school to watch Rogue One on the snithsonian IMAX

I stood in line and paid to do the special premier even for the last Jedi

And it was so bad I won’t go see nine until I’m 100% sure it doesn’t suck like TLJ

quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:

But is there a reason it has to be absolute dog shit?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you have the fanboys wrong. We want this to move forward. It's not that Luke died, it's that he died like a bitch, a worthless death that pisses us fanboys off. Like I said, I liked Rogue One because it was new characters. I want new stories, new places, new people. Most people weren't upset that Han died. It's time for these characters to go. It's the main reason I gave up on the EU a few years back before it was deemed all crap, I got tired of Luke and Han and the same people.

It's why KOTOR was such a loved game, it was something totally new.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Again I agree with Lord Vaalic, we want something new. Han dying to a sucker punch to emo boy? Luke just dying from? What? Force exertion?

Don't get me wrong, they need to go, but have some imagination already.

And the new team seems to whine a lot.

posted Hide Post
Star Wars was a product of the cold war.

Good science fiction is a reflection of the era it's made in. The new movies are a reflection of this.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
People don't even like working for Kathleen Kennedy, and Solo is going to lose an ass-ton of money.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-h...t-over-sjw-politics/

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
People don't even like working for Kathleen Kennedy, and Solo is going to lose an ass-ton of money.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-h...t-over-sjw-politics/

It won’t. Worldwide distribution, Blu-Ray, cable rights. They’ll make their money back. It’s just got be raining money on this one. And they are learning long term profits are going to be affected no matter what.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
5. Cee3PO would have been a flaming gay male persona robot.
Wink

This already happened in the originals...

He was effeminate, possibly gay. I am talking full on flaming San Fransisco "LOOK AT ME" gay with the gay pride flag on his.........chassis. Big Grin

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
This (gay) oil bath is going to feel soooo good. Razz