SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Star Wars - Has Disney lost its way?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars - Has Disney lost its way? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Back on topic. Maybe it is not just Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy.

It goes much deeper than that.

http://boundingintocomics.com/...WxkJx0tzLh8.facebook

quote:
Star Wars Author Chuck Wendig Breaks Down After Calling Star Wars Fans White Supremacists
Jorge Arenas June 6, 2018 Comic Culture
Ever since Disney and Lucasfilm released Star Wars: The Last Jedi and a number of fans appropriately criticized the Rian Johnson story, media outlets and creators can’t stop talking about the “toxic” element of Star Wars fandom. Instead of looking at the criticism and interacting with fans in positive manner, they’ve begun attacking them and hurling insults left and right. Anyone who has been following the world of comics in recent years has seen this all too well, but it’s now bleeding over into Star Wars.

The mentality of these creators reminds me of a meme featuring the Simpsons Principle Seymour Skinner. It perfectly encapsulates how intensely isolated many of these creators are.

Skinner meme

The latest creator to go on a rant against Star Wars fans is comic book writer and Star Wars: Aftermath author Chuck Wendig.

Wendig didn’t hold on any punches in his attack against Star Wars fans as he called them many names and accused them of being everything from MRAs (Men’s Rights Activists) to incels (involuntary celibates). Of course, a rant wouldn’t be complete without also calling them white supremacists.

Their names change — MRA, incel, gamer-gate, comics-gate, sad puppies, Real Star Wars fans — but at the heart of it is the same fragile rage born of the poisonous chemical combination of white supremacy and toxic masculinity.

— Chuck Wendig (@ChuckWendig) May 31, 2018

Because nothing says unhinged like calling everyone you don’t agree with a white supremacist. Now, what promoted this barrage of odd behavior?

How did Chuck Wendig get to accusing Star Wars fans of being white supremacists? Well according to the author it all began in a place far far away, and a time long ago. Apparently, the author happened upon a Twitter discussion where a number of fans were planning to boycott his upcoming Star Wars Darth Vader annual and were talking about the failure of Solo: A Star Wars Story.

help I fell down a weird rabbit hole of shitty Star Wars fans

oh my god these people

In a wildly bizarre series of Tweets, Wendig decides to take out his anger on the people who might have supported him and bought his books. I’m not sure they will after this.

Here’s what happened, for context: some numbnuts tagged me into some thing about boycotting my upcoming Darth Vader annual issue (out in August!), and there… I saw some shit. pic.twitter.com/DmlOe9D9BA

Current idea is that SOLO is “tanking” — I guess by having the fourth biggest opening in 2018 so far — because of SUPERFANS who so hated the Last Jedi so bad that their magic hate powers caused a sorcerous boycott of SOLO.

While it is true that Solo had the fourth largest opening of 2018 so far, it’s been a major bomb based off box totals and the estimated production budget of the film. In fact, the film lost 65% in its second week. In fact, Deadpool 2 almost beat the film domestically in its third week.

In a moment of obliviousness, Chuck doesn’t realize that fans who love a franchise can be happy that a film they consider to be subpar or even bad is doing poor at the box office. It’s more than likely these fans want the film to do poor because it will send a message to Disney that there is something wrong with the stories they are telling with their Star Wars franchise. It doesn’t mean they don’t love Star Wars. They just don’t love these particular Star Wars stories.

And that’s astonishingly goofy on so many levels.

First, that fans — again, FANS! — are happy — HAPPY!? — that Star Wars is faring poorly. It’s like rooting for your own child to fail. It’s like hoping your own puppy falls down some steps. It’s so weird.

It’s not like “rooting” for your child to fail. It’s more like expecting better from them, knowing that they have both the talent and ability to do so.

Second, that people hated THE LAST JEDI enough to affect SOLO’s numbers, but somehow not enough to affect… TLJ’s numbers? Like, with TLJ, what, people kept tonguing that broken tooth? Feeding money into the Movie Machine to hope it would get better? And then bought the Blu-Ray?

He would go on to make a similar argument with The Last Jedi, not understanding that people might have gone back one or two times to see The Last Jedi in order to find something redeeming about the film. The audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is pretty telling though that most fans weren’t happy with the film.

Another explanation as to why The Last Jedi still had strong numbers is because people wanted to find out what was going to happen after The Force Awakens, but once they find out they were unimpressed with the current Star Wars direction and decided to forgo forthcoming movies.

But of course Chuck Wendig wasn’t done there. He began to rave about “SJWs” and “identity politics.” He dismissed the criticisms with a wave of his hand by lumping them all together. He attempted to label his critics as the other, to demonize them. But he like many others know that fans aren’t revolting in some bid to toxify the fandom. There are actual complaints about his own work and the work Disney has produced since they purchased Lucasfilm and Star Wars.

And if you fall deep enough down the rabbit hole, it gets extra weird.

First, they hated TFA, because something something SJWs, JJA, identity politics, ANH rehash, whatever.

Then, they hated TLJ because it “ruined TFA.”

… pic.twitter.com/1DKKcUdoK2

And now they’re happy SOLO is underperforming and they’re claiming it as a success in this weird ideological culture war they’re waging.

SOLO arguably *is* underperforming, and to claim that their little fan campaigns had anything to do with that is so bizarre and narcissistic, you might as well claim it’s because you did a fucking magic “I Hate Star Wars” tap dance in your man-cave.

Did you catch that? Wendig went from defending Solo and scoffing at the idea that the film was tanking because it still had the fourth largest opening of the year to admitting that the film is “underperforming!” And then at the same time as reporting on a boycott of the film, he believes it isn’t having any effect. But he admits the film is doing subpar compared to its expectations. This is some next level mental gymnastics.

It’s *never* because of hater-fans. A movie also never *succeeds* because of its fans, because most moviegoers — the ones who form the bulk of the moviegoing public, the ones who buy most of the tickets — don’t give a great honking shit about most of this stuff.

Trevorrow was fired from #EpisodeIX, so their thing is, PUT ALL OUR ENERGY INTO JW2 AND MAKE IT A SUCCESS and THAT’LL SHOW STAR WARS, THE THING WE SUPPOSEDLY LOVE BUT ACTUALLY REALLY HATE.

I mean, you might as well “support” oxygen. “Everybody’s breathing it. We won!”

Thing is, I still remember this from AFTERMATH — all the review-bombing, all the conspiracy theories about how the book was Secretly Failing. I’d get emails telling me, “Ha ha ha, your book isn’t even on bookshelves!”

I also heard, “It did so poorly, they’ll never hire Chuck Wendig again!” and then I got two more books and a comic and then I was in FACPOV and then I got another comic and — nnnyeaaaah. pic.twitter.com/OT99nKnA2i

He then decided to go after YouTubers and other non-traditional critics who criticize his work and the current Disney Star Wars films for lazy writing, logical flaws, and other issues that have become all too common in the Star Wars films.

In fact, you can almost see the hate and derision he feels for these non-sanctioned critics who don’t toe the line and shower praise on everything Star Wars no matter what.

And of course you wonder how this even continues or why, and those answers are both complex and simple. First, some people have monetized it, or want to — YouTube channels that financially channel people’s dipshit rage.

Second, bots or fake accounts. Given that some of these accounts are literally nothing but this — or are this and Trumpy shitstain stuff — you kinda see what’s up.

Something tells me the white boogeymen should pop out.

Third, it’s what’s at the heard of ALL this weaponized aerosolized horseshit — it’s sexism and racism. It’s sphincter-stung white dudes who are so tender, so brittle, they cannot hack that the world is now only 90% about them instead of 95%.

Ha, I was right! Wendig basically brings out an SJW checklist of all the “bad” things in the world.

Their names change — MRA, incel, gamer-gate, comics-gate, sad puppies, Real Star Wars fans — but at the heart of it is the same fragile rage born of the poisonous chemical combination of white supremacy and toxic masculinity.

And then he goes on to lump anyone who provides a different opinion from the radical, progressive social justice warriors into one group. He groups MRAs, Incels, Gamer Gaters, and Comics Gate folks all into one giant group because apparently they are all the same. Who knew? I mean it’s not like these are all different groups of different people with different ideas right?

This is the huge, huge cultural knot that lead to this current fuuuuuucked-up moment in American and world history, and it’s going to take time and effort to untie it and/or chop through it.

It’s the same shit. It’s the same tiny hearts nested in massive inflated egos who fear that the world is not uniquely theirs and that they might actually have to, gasp, share it with other people, and oh no, not get by on mediocrity alone.

The reason they hate identity politics is that it involves politics that do not perfectly invoke their singular identity. At the heart of it, these people aren’t fans, and they can’t see through the particulate shit-fog of their own expulsions to see what they really are.

Then Wendig shows his true hand. His disgust with fans who are not interested in seeing identity politics inserted into their fandoms. He even goes so far as to claim that you aren’t a “fan” if you disagree with identity politics being inserted into Star Wars.

you ain’t wronghttps://t.co/S3SIo8CO1Q

But what happened next is still baffling me. After OneAngryGamer exposed Chuck’s hateful view of many Star Wars fans he went on an even more crazy Twitter rant.

I uhhh whhhh uhhh

ummm

whhhh

wuh? pic.twitter.com/R4JAMlJcVi

— Chuck Wendig (@ChuckWendig) June 6, 2018

He even tried to go after Google News because he didn’t like seeing the truth about his own words.

I just, uhhh. I don’t even. pic.twitter.com/3mZBSWLaUO

But most of it is just nonsensical.

are we just

is that

what is

… pic.twitter.com/Q09uqK0Ctq

you know what, burn it all down, hail Satan pic.twitter.com/TSRCOuhTuV

*cue article on Google News: DIRECTOR OF LAST JEDI, CHUCK WENDIG, CHOOSES SATAN AS HIS MASTER* pic.twitter.com/y29lgFsrxr

What’s really interesting is that it appears the terrible practices that many Marvel Comics freelancers and employees have expressed towards customers and fans is bleeding over into Disney’s Star Wars freelancers.

This is not a good look at all and it’s a terrible business practice as Marvel sales took a huge hit last year and are still struggling to recover. Not only that, their brand has been diminished significantly among many who used to be lifelong Marvel supporters.

Can Disney and their shareholders afford this type of behavior in a much larger medium where they hope to make millions even billions of dollars off of Star Wars?

If Marvel Comics freelancers and employee behavior has taught us anything it is that the company that acts this way will take a hit in sale. Not only that, but new competitors will emerge to take away their market share like Ethan Van Sciver, Diversity & Comics, Jon Malin, Brett R. Smith and others have done in the past month in the comics industry.

Given how creators like Chuck Wendig are responding to fan and customer criticism by attacking them and labeling them as “white supremacists” it does not bode well for Star Wars and Disney at large.

(Visited 1,685 times, 1,518 visits today)

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Here is something funny...

Local Costco sells theater passes to the local theater chain which I buy in bulks of 4. IIRC, it’s like $32-34 for 4 tickets. I always buy them but the thugs at Disney have restrictions on them at the theater. The last time I tried to use one for a Disney film was probably 6-8 months ago or something and the theater employee told me “17 days” as in from day of release I have to wait 17 days to use a pass for their film so I either had to pay full price, see something else, or leave so I did.

So seeing this thread I called the theater and talked to a manager out of curiosity. What he explained is that it is a moving target. I asked if 17 days was the standard rule and he said no, and that it is pretty much different for every Disney film. And apparently, if it bombs, like Solo, Disney makes changes to the rule allowing earlier use of passes. I find this ridiculous as I have friends with families and me turning them onto the saver passes is the only way they can afford to go, seeing that the standard movie ticket prices in 2018 are very expensive. I was not surprised at the Disney practice at all, since that company is a pack of thugs, but thought I would relay yet another shitty business practice of theirs. The passes are sold by the theater chain itself, yet Disney has so much might they can control a theater chain (Cinemark in this case) for their product.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Here is something funny...

Local Costco sells theater passes to the local theater chain which I buy in bulks of 4. IIRC, it’s like $32-34 for 4 tickets. I always buy them but the thugs at Disney have restrictions on them at the theater. The last time I tried to use one for a Disney film was probably 6-8 months ago or something and the theater employee told me “17 days” as in from day of release I have to wait 17 days to use a pass for their film so I either had to pay full price, see something else, or leave so I did.

So seeing this thread I called the theater and talked to a manager out of curiosity. What he explained is that it is a moving target. I asked if 17 days was the standard rule and he said no, and that it is pretty much different for every Disney film. And apparently, if it bombs, like Solo, Disney makes changes to the rule allowing earlier use of passes. I find this ridiculous as I have friends with families and me turning them onto the saver passes is the only way they can afford to go, seeing that the standard movie ticket prices in 2018 are very expensive. I was not surprised at the Disney practice at all, since that company is a pack of thugs, but thought I would relay yet another shitty business practice of theirs. The passes are sold by the theater chain itself, yet Disney has so much might they can control a theater chain (Cinemark in this case) for their product.

I've noticed some blurb about pass restrictions on some movies (at a Regal Cinema) but had not made the connection,.

wife and I do not go to the movies often,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when Disney gets a hold of star wars...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GKSp1dVTrYk

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well it seems Paul S. Kemp has wighed in on this bruahhahahha. He is one of the old canon starwars authors.

I have left the following as a review on my one audible/amazon book of his

quote:
What am I talking about? Well, It seems Mr. Kemp got on twitter and had something to say about fans.
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbc...edc87983&oe=5B7CF156

If you use terms like politically correct, or SJW , you are and I quote. "I don't merely disagree with you,; I find you contemptible, a detestable human being with whom i don't want to have even indirect contact. run back to your fellow neckbeards/incels or whoever it is you hang out with. Just stay clear of me.
Thanks

And F you."

you can find the screen shot here
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbc...edc87983&oe=5B7CF156

What I do not understand why any person who puts a product for sale would alienate potential people from sales. According to a June 2017 Forbes magazine article. 59% of the people thought PC was to a bad thing, 24 percent thought it was a good thing.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/b...ctness/#45cf8c416093

So why, would someone not only tell a person or group of people to F U. Potentially limiting his sales. I am sorry Mr kemp. While I may have enjoyed this at one time. Telling anyone of any political stripe to FU is not acceptable. You will see no further business from me

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You know, until TLJ, I was thinking I might have to forego the Disney stuff and just get my fix from the EU. Now the whole thing just disgusts me and I'm over it. Politics ruined Star Wars. Chuck Wendig and Paul Kemp can go suck shit, both of them, as much as they like. Kemp told me everything I needed to know, but for some reason, I felt compelled to check out Wendig's twatter page and it told me everything I needed to know there, also.

There's a season for everything.

quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
well it seems Paul S. Kemp has wighed in on this bruahhahahha. He is one of the old canon starwars authors.

Point of order: His first Star Wars novel was published in 2010. Timothy Zahn pubished the first of the EU books in 1991. I wouldn't call Kemp "one of the old canon authors" since comparatively, his stuff is pretty recent.

Anyway, best response yet to all this is from my brother that I just linked all this stuff to: " Sure. Fans of a series all about defeating an allegory for Nazi Germany are white supremacists. Yeah, I totally buy that shit."

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Too bad. I enjoyed some of Kemps D&D novels.

I'll never buy one again, unless I get it at a used book store so he doesn't see a penny.

Fuck you Mr. Kemp.

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Point of order: His first Star Wars novel was published in 2010. Timothy Zahn pubished the first of the EU books in 1991. I wouldn't call Kemp "one of the old canon authors" since comparatively, his stuff is pretty recent.

Anyway, best response yet to all this is from my brother that I just linked all this stuff to: " Sure. Fans of a series all about defeating an allegory for Nazi Germany are white supremacists. Yeah, I totally buy that shit."

Anything prior to Disney is considered Old canon material. That was the point I was making, not necessarily the age of the book.

I saw chuck wendig's statements a day or three back. I was busy at the time so I did not post them here. It is a shame. I doubt audible or Amazon will post my review, but I made the attempt.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Anything prior to Disney is considered Old canon material. That was the point I was making, not necessarily the age of the book.

Ah, point taken, then.

It'll be a shame to have to go through my shelves and pick out Star Wars books to donate based on author names. If it comes to that, I'll be sad, but feel compelled none the less. I can't read and enjoy a work written by someone who loathes me to the core of my being, so I am going to avoid that altogether. I'll give it a few more months to see who else speaks up. If Timothy Zahn joins this chorus, I'll be pretty much completely over Star Wars.

I will say this: Having grown up on the originals, which were heavily marketed to everyone in my age group, I grew up loving the material. I was a bona fide Star Wars nerd. I played most of the games and read a lot of the EU. I felt mixed about the prequels. My son just turned four, and is being very heavily marketed to. Both sets of grandparents are sending all kinds of Star Wars stuff his way. I feel totally the opposite about it than I thought I would, than I wanted to. I can't get excited about it with him the way he's obviously seeking and expecting from me, and it's kinda killing me. Not only is Disney shitting all over my childhood, but now they're doing it to my son as well in ways worse than just producing bad material.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Projections are this will be the first Star Wars film that loses money.
Reports are Kennedy is out in September. The fans have spoken and money talks.
The people who skipped Solo will end up being the change and the “force” that Disney has to deal
With. I don’t like JJ as a director so it will be years even if Disney can write the ship.
Disney is a ruthless company who doesn’t like defeat but reality says they made so much profit on Deadpool and Avengers sequels the loss is t that big of a deal. Expect a bunch of changes to Lucasfilm and Star Wars this year. Corps will do a bunch of knee jerk when shit doesn’t go their way.

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
On this day in 1994, Disney discovered the entire plot to the Last Jedi

http://www.latimes.com/local/l...-20140617-story.html

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Star Wars Story Spin-Off Movies Reportedly On Hold at Lucasfilm Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movi...2xIUmqK1krk.99

Following the lower-than-usual box office of this year’s Solo: A Star Wars Story, Collider is reporting that the other spin-off films set in a galaxy far, far away have been put on hold at Lucasfilm. This includes the previously announced plans for an Obi Wan Kenobi movie from director Stephen Daldry as well as the Boba Fett film from James Mangold.

The studio is now putting all of their focus into the upcoming Star Wars: Episode IX, which arrives Christmas 2019, and will continue to develop the previously announced trilogy from Rian Johnson as well as the series of films from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

For comparison’s sake, the recently released Solo: A Star Wars Story has to date brought in just $341.9 million at the global box office, making it the lowest grossing live-action Star Wars movie to be released in theaters. The film is the lowest grossing of the recent Lucasfilm features by a significant margin, trailing behind Rogue One by over $700 million, behind The Last Jedi by nearly $1 billion, and sitting in a different galaxy from The Force Awakens which grossed $1.7 billion more.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Still going ahead with the Rian Johnson trilogy?

Well there you go. It's over.

Fuck you Rian Johnson

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
More like Ruin Johnson Razz

I'll go now

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Still going ahead with the Rian Johnson trilogy?

Well there you go. It's over.

Fuck you Rian Johnson

My thoughts exactly. I actually had hope for the other spinnoffs. Boba Fett had the dude who did Logan. Obi Wan versus Darth Maul part duex could be fun. Not interested at all in the Rian Johnson trilogy or the next Rey/Finn debacle.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hilarious and sad that this whole issue has been boiled down to anyone not liking the latest round of SW movies, is a racist, mysogenist, etc...where have I heard these words before? Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat..

The simple fact is Disney bought the franchise, good movie; hired a seasoned executive with a bunch of bonafides, good move; then got about making more movies, good move; but the scripts were not cannon, not good; the new movies were beset with bad/questionable writing/plots, not good; each movie had current-day socio/political grievances interjected into the stories, not good.

What is so hard for some of these executives/writers/apologist to understand the complaints? They threw away all the source material, yes, it's a kids movie/story, however there's existing material to work off of! Crappy writing, again, check existing source material...trying to film battles, hint, we've been at war for 17-years, I think there's plenty of experts who can provide some advisory assistance. What hasn't been said about all the SJW-matieral that's been thrust front & center. I have no issues with a female hero lead, the problem is she's not just a hero, she has to be a super XX-chromosome who's presence will emasculate and minimize all the males around her. Good grief, I used to look forward to these movies... Roll Eyes

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Maybe they can bring in Michael Bay or the Pacific Rim people and complete the fuckerizement!

Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
The Last Jedi was undoubtedly god-awful, but Rogue one and Solo were both pretty damn good. In fact, I think I liked Solo more than any other star wars movie that's come out since the originals(not that there's really a lot of competition...).

It's weird to me that Solo is doing so poorly. Poor marketing? I admit I was in the camp of "Why are they making this?", but it was good overall. Most people I've spoken to that have actually seen it thought it was good. So why did it do so poorly?

Episode 7 was mediocre at best, and episode 8 was laughably terrible. Rogue One and Solo, however, have been a light in the darkness that were Episodes 1, 2, 3, 7, and 8. It's disappointing to see that the other standalones are "on hold".

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will wade in on that one. I would like to see Solo. I absolutely refuse to give those shitheads at Disney a penny though. Until they unfuck themselves and stop being the SJW theme park ride that they have become I will never set foot in a theater to watch a Star Wars film. It really is that simple. I got morals just like Luke. Which is why he never would have killed his nephew in his sleep. Paging Adm. Prom Dress.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
It's weird to me that Solo is doing so poorly. Poor marketing? I admit I was in the camp of "Why are they making this?", but it was good overall. Most people I've spoken to that have actually seen it thought it was good. So why did it do so poorly?

Four movies in four years will burn-out any fanbase, the tepid marketing didn't help either.

Because they fired the original directors for Solo and had to rewrite/reshoot many scenes, that likely ate-into the marketing budget. No doubt Disney figured, it's not apart of the main saga of films so, they weren't willing to open the checkbook to promote it, particularly since the film is an amalgam of two different creations. The music wasn't particularly stirring or memriable so, there's that, and none of the new characters stood out. Solo was/is a simple entertainment flick with no stand-out scenes just digestible fun. Nothing moving or, establishing, it was palatable with little offense.

Chefs and food critics talk about respecting the source or the animal; don't massacre what took time to make and create, let the flavors of the main ingredient shine. The same should've been applied to the SW films. Peter Jackson respected the hell out of the Lord of the Rings source material, he jammed as much and as accurately as he could into each 3-hour film. Benioff and Weiss did the same with GRRM's Game of Throne books and jammed as much as they could into a captivating show. Disney/Kennedy/Johnson/Abrams did no such thing, they danced around it and figured they could do better by discarding established norms/plots/stories/characters.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post