SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    TCM Movie Alert : Throne of Blood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM Movie Alert : Throne of Blood Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Shakespeare's Macbeth adapted by Kurosawa.

Mifune is in fine form, as always.

1:00 AM EST

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107484 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Acknowledged. Thanks

Posts: 13230 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. This will be my first time seeing this one.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, then you're in for a treat.

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Goddamit, I was ready to go to bed. Guess we'll pick out a good cigar and freshen up the drink. This is a genuinely great film.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you got yourself one of them new-fangled VCR machines, you could record it.

Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
If you have TCM on demand the film is on through July 18th. Will have to watch.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If you got yourself one of them new-fangled VCR machines, you could record it.

DISH offers an option to record and store programs for about $10 a month or less, available on all their packages, and a step below their Hopper. I'm sure all the cable and satellite companies have something similar, and Sugart could save a few bucks on cigars and whiskey if he had this.

Highlights of my "library" include the most recent Monaco Grand Prix, "Laurel and Hardy Out West", "Ipcress File" and "Seven Days in May."

Not that money spent on cigars and whiskey is ever wasted, you understand!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
When I was in Highschool, all I knew about Mifune was Yojimbo. I got turned onto Throne of Blood by an absolutely outstanding English teacher who considered it his favorite adaptation of Macbeth. It's a fine film, and as you said Mifune is absolutely outstanding in it.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Para was kidding. I've got the capability to record shit. I've also got almost all of Kurosawa's films (including Throne of Blood) on Criterion Collection DVD's, purchased a while back at great expense.

If you've watched the movie then you might appreciate this:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5MtUiYxBiY

IMHO, this is a truly great film. If you haven't seen it then you should correct that soon.

I feel a Kurosawa evening coming on. It starts with a supper of a bowl rice and a cup of green tea and then two or three of his films with some bourbon and a cigar or two (not a big fan of rice wines).

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
From Shakespeare: Here's Macbeth's response on hearing of his wife's death:

She should have died hereafter.
There would have been a time for such a word.
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

posted Hide Post
In my defense, I knew Para was kidding about the VCR, but didn't know if you could DVR in some manner.

As to Kurosawa, I like Mifune's work, so I'm keeping my eyes out for more of it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
When I was in Highschool, all I knew about Mifune was Yojimbo. I got turned onto Throne of Blood by an absolutely outstanding English teacher who considered it his favorite adaptation of Macbeth. It's a fine film, and as you said Mifune is absolutely outstanding in it.

All I know about Shakespeare, I learned from Akira Kurosawa.

Throne of Blood
The Bad Sleep Well
Ran

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post