SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movies you wish had followed the book better
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies you wish had followed the book better Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
There are obviously a LOT out there; the one that really disappointed me was World War Z. I really enjoyed the different perspective from people all over the globe as opposed to the loose interpretation in the movie. It could have been so much better but I guess action trumps drama at the box office.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
World War Z would make a killer HBO anthology type series.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7673 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starship Troopers

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Almost all of them could have done better. I think they can almost never totally represent a book very well in two hours.

The best one I remember doing that was "The Right Stuff". And if memory serves, it was nearly three hours long.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7248 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My top three:
Rising Sun
Ender's Game
World War Z

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
World War Z

quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
World War Z

quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
World War Z

That's the first one that came to mind. Big Grin

Great book. Amazing audiobook. Crappy movie. So much wasted potential.

So since that one's taken, I'll say the Hobbit trilogy films. After the outstanding goodness that was the LotR trilogy, I was disappointed when they milked 3 poor-to-middling films out of the one book. I would have preferred one well-made film that stuck to the books.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Bilbos character was absolutely opposite in the Hobbit movies. The white orc? Where the hell did they pull that crap out of? Legolas? I could go on...

And the WWZ audiobook is fantastic- one you never get tired of.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damnation Alley

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
The Blue Max and Starship Troopers.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
You mean other than The Sum of All Fears?

Posts: 13230 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
Starship Troopers

This.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
^^^^
Bilbos character was absolutely opposite in the Hobbit movies. The white orc? Where the hell did they pull that crap out of? Legolas? I could go on...

I was impressed how well PJ did Lord of the Rings. That was an amazing adaptation job.

The Hobbit movies SUCKED. They tried to make another 'epic saga,' and I was just tired of all the BS by the time they were done.

quote:
The Blue Max and Starship Troopers.

I actually enjoyed the Blue Max movie more than the book. It takes all kinds, I guess.

The Hunt For Red October was also a good adaptation, but every other Tom Clancy movie (in the Jack Ryan series, at least) was bad (though Patriot Games less than the others).

Oh, the last two Harry Potter movies were soooo bad. Each movie up to that point had deviated from the books in small or large ways, so by the time they got to the end, they were too far from the source material to really bring it back (if they even tried, that is).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I wish they'd made a Man-eaters of Tsavo movie instead of that crap that was Ghost and the Darkness.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
The Martian and that Mitch Rapp movie

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Any movie based on a Tom Clancy book.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
You mean other than The Sum of All Fears?

Beat me to it.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Dune. Any of them.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Ready player one

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
I can think of only one film adaption of a book that followed the book, as opposed to even being faithful, Watership Down. But I do like Max Brooks take on the movie vs his book. But maybe being part of a show business legacy prepared him for how Hollywood treats adaptations.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/WXFdO3DwRLY

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Any movie based on a Tom Clancy book.

I thought Red October was pretty good for the 135 minutes allocated but agree on the others.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post