SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    BBC's Dracula on Netflix
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BBC's Dracula on Netflix Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Brand new series that just dropped. A very well done, creepy take on the classic novel. No spoilers, and I'm only one episode in, but there are already some interesting twists and divergences from the source.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’m torn on it. The parts I like, I really like, but I can also seem how some people will absolutely hate it. It’s from the former Doctor Who showrunner, and it shows. I’ll watch the rest of the miniseries and see how it goes.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
It’s from the former Doctor Who showrunner, and it shows.

Sherlock too.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I tried to watch it but found it unnecessarily unpleasant.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Well naturally, one would expect an adaptation of Dracula to be warm and fuzzy, so I could understand how one would be disappointed when it turned out to be dark and violent. Big Grin

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Well naturally, one would expect an adaptation of Dracula to be warm and fuzzy, so I could understand how one would be disappointed when it turned out to be dark and violent. Big Grin

Big Grin

True enough. Just not my thing. I prefer imagination and the understated.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Not the greatest adaptation but not the worst either. I enjoyed it well enough.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been OK through 2 episodes. However vampire, especially Dracula has almost always been fairly erotic and this version so far has been tame by comparison even to Hammer productions.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCfromNY:
It has been OK through 2 episodes. However vampire, especially Dracula has almost always been fairly erotic and this version so far has been tame by comparison even to Hammer productions.

Dude, you need a separator line from your signature, BADLY. It's really annoying constantly reading that thinking it's part of a reply.

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My wife and I started watchin this last night.

Talk about some dark humor!!

And the Van Helsing character is great!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

And the Van Helsing character is great!!

Yep, that's what'll get me back to episode 2.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Finished it tonight. The ending is a bit underwhelming, but overall, it's well worth watching.

The lady who plays Van Helsing and the guy who plays Dracula are both great.

Also, for anyone wondering... It's not a series, but a miniseries consisting of three ~1.5 hour long episodes.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I just finished episode 2. I liked the back and forth between Dracula and Van Helsing while they played chess.

Dracula: I like company, I like people.
Van Helsing: you kill people.
Dracula: You pick flowers.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The second episode is fantastic. The third and final episode is the weakest. I think I get what they were going for, but I just don't think it pulled it off. It still had it's moments, I just didn't like it as much as the others. Zoe doesn't hold a candle to Agatha.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
The third and final episode is the weakest. I think I get what they were going for, but I just don't think it pulled it off.

Agreed, on both counts.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I just finished it. Started strong but I was quite underwhelmed at the end.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
The general concensus here - shared by me - is that it's a pile of shite.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Not through it yet but my immediate reaction was how derivative it is. Off the bat, I'm thinking "Rocky Horror Picture Show", on to AMC's "NOS4A2", then pure "Walking Dead". If not derivative, let's call it an homage. Roll Eyes

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
What was the ending about? I’d rather not watch it again. What was he afraid of? I zoned out after the curtain fell.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
The general concensus here - shared by me - is that it's a pile of shite.

Well, you should see the piles of shite we get to watch on this side of the pond. Dracula was very watchable compared to the crap on now (Deputy, FBI, FBI Most Wanted, most shows on the CW, etc.)

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post