SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Does anyone enjoy Billie Eilish?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone enjoy Billie Eilish? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
would it be true to say you have achieved something when some other band covers your work?

I think it's absolutely fair to say so. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. As much as I don't enjoy Bob Dylan, he's always been incredibly gracious about Hendrix basically upstaging him with his take on "All Along the Watchtower" and I'm paraphrasing here, but "That song belongs to Jimi now, he made it all his own." If something you create inspires another artist to try to duplicate it or try to improve upon it, well, to my mind, that's like bees drawn to a flower: the aesthetic complete opposite of flies drawn to shit. If your work inspires other artists, then that's absolutely an achievement.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
she was on the sunday morning show , today .

I did not understand a word she said , through the whole interview.

generation gap , HUGE
she may as well have been speaking samoan

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
All this time I thought she was British!

She seems to dress like what the Brits sort of derisively call a "Chav".

Here it turns out she's from California.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I gave it a listen and liked some more than others that she has done, but overall she definitely has talent - which is more than a lot of the 'pop' stars today who are so overproduced and auto-tuned can say.

If you haven't see it, you should watch this - they go to her home (where she still lives with her family) and go to her brother's bedroom where they recorded the album that made her famous.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh2qGWfmESk

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Damn Arc!

Looks like your girl had a BIG night last night at the Grammys!

quote:

Record of the year: "Bad Guy," Billie Eilish

Album of the year: "When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?" Billie Eilish

Best new artist: Billie Eilish

Song of the year: "Bad Guy," Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connell

Best pop vocal album: “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” Billie Eilish

Link

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I like her music. Hope she doesn’t suffer from the curse of the best new artist award.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, the music on the Grammys show aren't my cup of tea. I thought the best performance of the night was Bonnie Rait. When Billie Eilish (who I hadn't heard of until that week) performed I told my wife: "at least she's talented"

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I'll be the outlier here. i really can't stand her music, like change the radio station when she comes on, can't stand it.

Apparently I'm the only one because the radio station I usually listen to plays her music a lot.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No real opinion on her sound but her look is emulating the Lady Gaga weirdness.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
No real opinion on her sound but her look is emulating the Lady Gaga weirdness.

I believe she's flat-out stated that she wears outfits that hide her figure and don't sexualize her because she wants people to judge her by her music and talent and not her body.

Lady Gaga would be the demonstrative opposite of that.

While the weirdness can be argued, I see a big difference between the two.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There are a few pics out there of her without the ugly baggy clothes and she’s built like a brick shithouse under all that, wowza.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
I'll be the outlier here. i really can't stand her music, like change the radio station when she comes on, can't stand it.

Apparently I'm the only one because the radio station I usually listen to plays her music a lot.

Go be the "outlier" somewhere else.

Fuckin' hell. If you don't like Billie just move along. How hard is that, and why bother posting in here? Fucks sake.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
There are a few pics out there of her without the ugly baggy clothes and she’s built like a brick shithouse under all that, wowza.

She’s got an attractive figure. She also doesn’t want to be the next Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera, and I don’t blame her. I really get the impression she’s got a solid head on her shoulders. If she wants to wear clothes that make her look like a Teletubby to avoid that, then I think that’s actually the pendulum just swinging back the other way from those other types. The point isn’t “look at me,” it’s “listen to me.” As it should be.

Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I like her..

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
She seems like a funny, talented kid.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3619 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
My wife turned me on to this video. Her brother is her music producer and he was on Jimmy Fallon talking about some of the songs they have made and where the sound comes from. Interesting and funny video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-zeJRjP6xA

Posts: 2117 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
This was released today. Billie Eilish is singing the theme song to the new Bond movie being released soon. I'm diggin'this. Nice chord progressions. Laid back and somewhat melancholy. Great lyrics to go along with the title of the movie. Thoughts?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Love her music. Seems odd to see comments about an 18 year old girls body. She has a great voice, hope she continues with her success.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was unaware of her til this thread. I tend toward country over top 40, so...
She seems talented, but the tunes posted are too slow for me. I prefer more up tempo music. The one they sang first in the car was pretty good. More of that and I could see being a fan.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
A local public tv station aired her from Live at Austin City Limits a week or so ago. I watched it, she's not my thing....but I can see people liking her.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post