SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Turner Classic Movies and the encroachment of leftist politics.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turner Classic Movies and the encroachment of leftist politics. Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Dr. Day ...

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Once again, TCM is playing Kisses for My President, about the first female POTUS. Before this thread, had you even heard of this obscure film?

OK, so it's TCM's annual 31 Days of Oscar, where they play only films that won or were nominated for an Academy Award.

Let's see how TCM justifies airing this film during this festival- - This film has one nomination, for best costumes in a black and white film. The film did not win an Oscar and the category in which it was nominated hasn't existed since the 1960s, and yet, here it is- again- for the second time this year, the last time being the day after Inauguration Day. TCM has films in its library that could have filled this alphabetical slot.

I'm telling you- they are sticking this in our face. It doesn't matter that nobody seems to fucking care but me. They're doing it. It's not my imagination.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now you have me wondering about the next film in the lineup: Kitty Foyle.
Its a story about social classes and the familial disapproval of a working class girl who marries into money.
Ginger Rogers won an Oscar.
TCM is my favorite channel. I hope it does not turn to crap.
American Classis Movies sure did.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Seems like the two hosts, one man, one woman, are trying to appeal to certain segments of the viewership. 2 different groups btw. It definitely lisps to the left on the horizon.
Watched a good British movie that was made in Hollywood, last nite. 'Kind Lady', Ethel Barrymore, Angela L, Keenan W. It was a classic British movie.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Tcm i hoped would have been better. Yet holly wood started madame secretary as a tv show to get hildabot elected.
A TV show I have never watched, and won't. Hillary was a terrible SoS and I immediately recognized the intent of the show to make her seem more capable. We've had other female SoS but I didn't really care for them, either--Condi wasn't too bad, but she was no Margaret Thatcher or Jeane Kirkpatrick. Considering all the majority-Islam countries we have to deal with, I'm not convinced that a female SoS is a good idea--Muslims don't deal well with females.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Wall

Come on. They're shoving it in your face. This show premiered on December 19, 2016, about six weeks after the Presidential election.

Hello

McFly

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Been away for a week or so ... haven't seen any American TV for a bit other than some weird foxnews (Intl version - no commercials, highly repetitive - perhaps just no new news over the weekend).

I long for the days when hollywood was pro-America.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, let no doubt remain:

"In 1976, the idea of a major television network exploiting the mad rants of a deranged lunatic on the news as a ploy for ratings was so boldly absurd, it could only be considered outrageous satire. Today there is a deranged lunatic doing the news every hour during prime time." - TCM Host Ben Mankiewicz in his lead-in to the airing of Network on TCM, February 18th, 2017

Mankiewicz then went on to call the film "depressingly prophetic."

If you cannot now see what I'm talking about, you'll never see it.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Mankiewicz then went on to call the film "depressingly prophetic."

Ben seems to be out of touch with this particular movie, the news business in general and the American people outside his tunnel-visioned view of the country. He also has completely missed who Paddy Chayefsky was. But he is on a cable movie channel talking about movies so surely he's an expert, no? Roll Eyes

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Robert Osborne ever coming back? I miss his perspective on films.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Robert Osbourne is in his mid eighties and apparently in failing health, and although TCM is leaving his name up on the marquee, my feeling is that the next time we see him- if ever- it will be as a farewell. I imagine that will sometime within the next few months.

That's the disheartening part of all of this. This isn't a temporary state of affairs until the adults return home and make the household sane again. The adults are never coming home again. We're stuck with children who are now perpetually upset about the last presidential election.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Robert Osbourne is in his mid eighties and apparently in failing health, and although TCM is leaving his name up on the marquee, my feeling is that the next time we see him- if ever- it will be as a farewell. I imagine that will sometime within the next few months.

That's the disheartening part of all of this. This isn't a temporary state of affairs until the adults return home and make the household sane again. The adults are never coming home again. We're stuck with children who are now perpetually upset about the last presidential election.

Agreed.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Agreed.

I agree with your agreed.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Classic Movie Channel has morphed in to The Communist Movie Channel, eh?

Killed pay TV years ago, and what is left of my brain thanks me for it daily. (pun intended)

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've been in a cost-cutting mode for a while here in the newtoSig household, and reduced our satellite package over the weekend. No more TCM.

I can't say as I'm going to miss it, the way they're running things now.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Old thread reopened. Related to this thread.