Notify
Tools

Passengers Login/Join 
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it.

My question is you would think they would have had some kids. Just a thought.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
I thought the same thing PR64. Then the wife and I talked about it- would have been weird. Kids would have been late in thier 80s, no chance of romantic intrests, etc.

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Finally watched this Saturday night and really enjoyed it, was not what I expected at all which was some sort of alien/horror angle which thankfully was not the case.

My wife said she'd die being stuck alone on a huge spaceship but I told her it sounded like heaven; no one to bother me, I have the place to myself, what's NOT to like! Big Grin

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

My wife said she'd die being stuck alone on a huge spaceship but I told her it sounded like heaven; no one to bother me, I have the place to myself, what's NOT to like! Big Grin

As long as they had an armory, range and unlimited ammo!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Titanic in space.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
My wife and I liked it too. There was a lot more downtime than I expected from the trailers..

What do you mean by that? That the movie wasn't 99.999% action sequences and shit blowing up?

Thank God for that, it seems like modern movies overdo this instead of developing characters and plot.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
I think this is the first role for Jennifer Lawrence where I thought she looked absolutely beautiful, grown up, and she didn't feel out of place. The chemistry really worked despite Pratt being, what, 10 years her senior?

I've really liked her and had a mild celebrity crush, but until now she's played young roles (Hunger Games, X-Men), or a charactr too old for her (American Hustle).

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It could have been better, but what movie is that not true for, especially in today's Hollywood?

I think they should have played more with time.

SPOILERS SPOILERS
Pratt should have been awake much longer before making his choice, and I think his time in exile after should also have been longer, or at least *felt* like longer. I'd also like to have seen a bit more exploring at the end of what they'd done, rather than just the quick reveal.

I agree with you about JL's roles with one caveat. Though she was playing a younger role, I think possibly her best performance was her breakout role in Winter's Bone. If you haven't seen it, do so. Fantastic movie imho.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
One thing I noticed about the cool, futuristic tool belt that Jim Preston had was that it was Kydex!

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night.

Fantastic movie.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I'm clearly in the minority. I picked this from Red Box for a movie night at a friend's house. We got through maybe an hour. I then said how frickin' boring that movie was. No one hesitated to agree to cut our losses. This is from someone who has a huge crush on Lawrence and her blue eyes and is quite jealous that's she's seriously dating a 48 y.o. director. It's unlikely I'll give it a second chance to watch what I missed. Well, maybe on Netflix, just for her eyes.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I really liked it, but my wife didn't. She got very bored.

I guess the whole engineering aspect of everything really appealed to me...knowing something is wrong and needing to figure it out.

Also, having your own personal bartender was pretty sweet. The only bummer would've been not being able to have a decent breakfast for all that time. If there's one thing I gotta have, it's a good breakfast and great coffee!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post

I agree that it would have made the movie more interesting, but I enjoyed it either way.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Skull Leader

That was really interesting, thanks for posting.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Skull Leader

That was really interesting, thanks for posting.

Agreed. I like that rearrangement idea, especially the suggested alternate "Twilight Zone" ending: Jim dies as the "bad guy", with Aurora still mad at him for dooming her, but after several years alone, Aurora is faced with the same choice of ending her loneliness by waking someone else up.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Just watched it tonight. Really liked it. I never once got bored even for a second. Fascinating movie for me all the way through. I wanted more. It helps I'm fond of both actors but it was just interesting.

Don't think I'm spoiling anything at this point but if so stop reading.

Pretty sure she never went into suspended animation pod in the infirmary. She decided to live the life with Jim. So why have the scene where he tells her about it and that she is going to wake up in 88 years and write her book and do what she set out to do.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
He was putting the choice back into her hands.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I liked it, but I like most space movies - and those actors.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
We liked it despite its lack of gratuitous violence, sex, foul language, and loud soundtrack.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Pretty sure she never went into suspended animation pod in the infirmary. She decided to live the life with Jim. So why have the scene where he tells her about it and that she is going to wake up in 88 years and write her book and do what she set out to do.

Redemption. The chance to correct an unforgivable act if she wanted to take it. It was important to the movie for the happily ever after ending to be plausible.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I take that away from it, it's just the way he worded it was like he wasn't asking, but telling her to do it for her own good kind of thing. Just found it odd the way he presented it.

Without that scene I can still see the ending being plausible. Between the things that The crew member told her and how he risked his life to save the ship and all that were aboard it, that he really wasn't a bad guy and so she was able to forgive him.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post