SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Which, In Your Opinion, is the Most 'American' Movie?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which, In Your Opinion, is the Most 'American' Movie? Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted
Apropos the date, which is your choice as the most 'american' movie? No real criteria that I can frame for you. Maybe humor, history, pride, only in America, culture, social comment, character, politics, western frontier, hero, artistry.

Have some serious fun. Obscure is no barrier to suggestion. Your supporting comments appreciated. A few initial suggestions of my own. The styles are completely opposite but I think that the underlying theme is unifying... the quest for a better life.

America, America

Blazing Saddles

The Wizard of Oz

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
1776?

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Team America

Fuck yeah

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The first movie that came to mind, for me, was “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

Jimmy Stewart, WWII bomber pilot, respected actor and gentleman. The beautiful, Donna Reed. Great character actors. Feel good story about a man who thinks he’s a failure, but most certainly is not.

A worthy nomination, at least

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Searchers.

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Animal House. Where else could that movie be set, or made?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Deer Hunter immediately popped into my mind.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Team America

Fuck yeah

You have balls!

I like balls.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
And for me... "Sgt York" immediately came to mind.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Top Gun.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Shaving Ryan’s Priva... err, Saving Private Ryan

Die Hard

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Animal House. Where else could that movie be set, or made?

In that same vein: Woodstock

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Vanishing Point!

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
American Graffiti.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Idiocracy.

Enjoy your EXTRA BIG ASS FRIES!!!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They Were Expendable.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
1776?

I have the DVD. We should have watched it tonight.

On the other hand, I just mentioned this thread to my girlfriend, and she said "Yankee Doodle Dandy". A fine idea, and another movie we own.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Forrest Gump

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
How The West Was Won.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Yes, it is an Italian film, but it has 3 iconic American Western movie actors in the leading roles. The film is about the American Frontier as seen through the eyes of a foreigner: The Myth of The American West.

It is every man for himself. Alliances are tenuous. Violence is the best form of negotiation. There is an ongoing civil war in-between. The West is a no-man's land. Money is the answer, if you are smart enough to get it first.

Our strength is in ourselves, not in our soil. Farmers and miners are fools. Pick up a gun instead and really play the game: A zero-sum game.

Posts: 774 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post