SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Which, In Your Opinion, is the Most 'American' Movie?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which, In Your Opinion, is the Most 'American' Movie? Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a bit ironic, but, The Godfather.

Legends of the Fall, aside from the love stories, is also heavy on self-dependence and the downsides of an intrusive government, which are standard American ideals, even though we are still constantly battling them.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Forrest Gump

Top Gun

Cocktail

And Point Break just because.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Perhaps a bit ironic, but, The Godfather.

“I believe in America. America has made my fortune. And I raised my daughter in the American fashion.”

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a good movie but not one of my favorites but when I read the forum topic the first thing I thought of was The Blues Brothers for some reason.

I also will throw out National Lampoons Vacation.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
My first vote is also for American Graffiti. The reason is gets my vote is because "cruising" is a strictly American pastime and could have only been done in America. Also Rock n Roll. Both very American.

Posts: 315 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Animal House. Where else could that movie be set, or made?

Lol, I had the same thought!

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
And for me... "Sgt York" immediately came to mind.

I thought I was going to be alone in that choice.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Old Yeller

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Old Yeller

At this point in the thread, I'll agree that "Old Yeller" is a great, great answer.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think "1776" is a good one. I'd also like to add "Oklahoma!"
Both deal with uniquely American history/characters and both are based upon American Musical Theater, also uniquely American.

Outside of American Musical Theater,
I'd vote for John Ford's Cavalry trilogy, "Fort Apache", "She Worn a Yellow Ribbon" and the very best of them, "Rio Grande".
The history is American, the players are American icons and these films are something only America could have made.

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Barbarella staring Jane Fonda.

(Jus' kidding. Smile)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
"The Rocketeer"
The movie includes old fashioned Hollywood, romance, mobsters, fighting Nazis, and even Howard Hughes. It's kind of cheesy compared to todays standards, but in the end the hero saves America and gets the girl.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Red Dawn (1983)

WOOOLLVVERIIIIIIINNES!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading TMats post reminded me of "The Best Years of Our Lives" (1946), a quiet, very moving film covering 3 WWII veterans and their families.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Field of Dreams

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's the most American movie, but "Fried Green Tomatoes" is an 'only in America' movie. "A Time to Kill" is another one. How about "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Patton.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10901 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Avalon (1990)
Pretty good piece of film depicting some pretty great truths.

Radio Days (1987)
Awesome slice of life.

Neither are the most “American”, or overtly patriotic, but do capture their American insight really well, imo.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you kidding me? There is only one answer here: "Red Dawn"! Patrick Swayze and his crew wiping out the commies! Freakin' 'Murica! WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 470 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post