SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Best "Dirty Harry" film?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Best "Dirty Harry" film? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
I watched Dirty Harry on BluRay today, and it never ceases to amaze me. The 1970s "grit", the outstanding cinematography, script, casting, soundtrack, all spot on, and IMO, the best villain, if not in the series, but in 1970s movies.

I'm going to watch Magnum Force tomorrow, and I love the film, but I'm thinking the first one is the one. I'm going to follow with the others for the next days, and I love The Enforcer also.

What an opening.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16666 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Dirty Harry is probably the best film. Magnum Force has the best pacing.

I think my favorite is The Enforcer. It was the first rated R movie I remember seeing. I remember going with my parents. As a '70s kid, The Enforcer looks most like the SF Bay Area I grew up in. Tyne Daly's character was pretty cool.

Also, Lalo Schifrin's funky score is a signature of the series, but I always thought that Jerry Fielding's Enforcer entry was sadly overlooked. I love the jazzy piece that accompanies Clint chasing Tim Burrus across the city rooftops.

I did think that The Dead Pool was a poor way to end the series. I liked that Frank Miller wrote his Sin City - That Yellow Bastard story as a reaction to how disappointed he was after seeing The Dead Pool. That's why the character (played by Bruce Willis in the movie) carried a .44 Magnum.

In my mind, Gran Torino is the last Dirty Harry movie, with Kowalski just a replacement for the Harry Callahan character.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original is still the best. It had the best story of the bunch, the rest were all about characters and specific scenes.

The Enforcer I enjoyed, thought Tyne Daly played her part well.

Sudden Impact has the iconic diner scene with the awesome statement, "Go Ahead, Make My Day"

If any of them are on, I'll watch them, it shows the San Francisco I grew up in, 70's. It wasn't a great time but, it was my childhood and there's a reason these movies resonated.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Magnum Force, hands down. My father took me to see this film. Loved it.

Posts: 107486 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Funny that this thread came about. Last night I decided I would watch all 5 Dirty Harry films this weekend. I have them all on blu-ray and they look good. I made it thru Dirty Harry and half of Magnum Force before I went to bed. Gonna start where I left off and then try to get The Enforcer (my favorite) watched tonight.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
I made it thru Dirty Harry and half of Magnum Force before I went to bed.

A good man always knows his limitations...

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In order of best to worst: Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, Sudden Impact, The Enforcer, The Dead Pool. The latter film's model car bomb chase was ridiculous.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Has David Soul before he was Hutch.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
“I’m afraid you’ve misjudged me”. Mine would be Magnum force. Costars Tim Matheson, Robert Urich & David Soul. Great cast

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I used to think 'Enforcer' was my favorite. Thinking about it more, it is a dead heat between the three. I have never considered 'Dead Pool' as qualifying for grouping with the others. I own all four on BluRay only because it was sold as a set.

With all due consideration I give it to 'Dirty Harry' with the simple tie breaker that it is the first and the original.

Posts: 7248 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'd have to cast my vote for "Magnum Force". The plot is intriguing (kinda Star Chamberesque), and I think we get a glimpse of Callahan's true integrity and what he thinks of the law.

Callahan: Well, I just work for the city, Briggs.

Briggs: So do I, longer than you. And I never had to take my gun out of its holster once. I'm proud of that.

Callahan: Well, you're a good man, lieutenant. A good man always knows his limitations...

BWAHAHAHA!!! Kicked Briggs right in the taint!! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Speaking of whale shit, what have you turned up Briggs?

Dirty Harry is the prime movie, it started the whole series, Dead Pool was the shark jump, the remote car chase was absurd, fine when it blew up the mercedes earlier but they went too far.

Magnum Force is one of my favorites, then again, I'd watch any of them over and over!!

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm in for Magnum Force as the best of the bunch, although the original was good, too.

The Enforcer with Tyne Daley wasn't bad, but the last two are eminently missable.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:

Has David Soul before he was Hutch.

I think this role is probably why he became Hutch.

Posts: 7520 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magnum Force. But I will say that The Enforcer has some great comedy as well, pairing Tyne Daly as the female partner assigned to `Dirty Harry. It makes great fun of police bureaucracy as well.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I like the original and “Magnum Force” equally well. Different vibe between the two, but both still showing the essence of the character. I like a lot about “The Enforcer” and “Sudden Impact” and am not wild about “The Dead Pool.”

The first two entries in the series remain my favorites.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Close between Dirty Harry and Magnum Force. I'd have to give it Magnum force because of limited Vigilante angle. Harry had limits, where as the MC cops did not. Great movie in all aspects.

'A good man gots to know is limitation'. Loved the SFO scene too. The only way to deal with High Jackers before spec ops got involved.

I do love DH, because you can see the Film posters for 'Play Misty For Me' and another Eastwood film I now can't recall - damn.... So cool.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Colt Pythons, the S&W Model 76 subgun, the Model 29 and all the talk about shooting skills, and the competition scene in the film- I just couldn't get enough of that stuff when I was that age.

Posts: 107486 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Colt Pythons, the S&W Model 76 subgun, the Model 29 and all the talk about shooting skills, and the competition scene in the film- I just couldn't get enough of that stuff when I was that age.

This and in MF, Hal Holbrooks character was just so hateable, that dynamic was a great part of the movie too and when the car explodes, classic Harry smirk.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Agreed!
quote:

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post