SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    How does Netflix and Amazon Prime handle movies??

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does Netflix and Amazon Prime handle movies?? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInWV
posted
I noticed Captain America: Civil War is on Netflix now. But on Amazon Prime, it's still something you have to rent/buy. And for that matter, so is Captain America: Winter Soldier (which isn't even available on Netflix).

So how in the heck does that work?? I always assumed it just had something to do with age and/or popularity. What determines who gets what movie to show at whatever a price?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot

Posts: 14304 | Location: Cross Lanes, WV | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This comes up a lot in the WSJ.

Basically they have a certain amount of $$$ to spend on content. Obviously they have to pay for the 'rights' to broadcast movies. They want to have a variety - classics, new, different genres, etc.

They also are putting a lot into 'original content' because they can control costs that way (more shows for cheaper).

Obviously the newer blockbusters are very expensive to broadcast which is why you don't see them for awhile - if ever.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 5210 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
everything on Netflix is included in the fee, but not everything on Prime is. That has bit me a couple of times. You go to watch on prime and its still $5 or something.

---------------------------------
- "This town reminds me of something in the bible."
- "Which part?"
- "The part right before god gets angry"

Posts: 6138 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Netflix recently signed a streaming contract with Disney. They now have exclusive right to free streaming of new films from Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Pixar.

The contract only applies to films from 2016 onward, so that's why newer films like The Jungle Book and Captain America: Civil War are on Netflix, but the older films aren't. However, this means that you can expect to see films like Doctor Strange and Rogue One popping up on Netflix in the near future, once their theatrical run is through.

Other streaming providers like Hulu, Amazon Prime, or iTunes can still offer the films for streaming, but it's under a separate buy/rent agreement, so you have to pay for them individually.

Posts: 16929 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
everything on Netflix is included in the fee, but not everything on Prime is. That has bit me a couple of times. You go to watch on prime and its still $5 or something.

I think the differentiation is that Amazon Instant Video has movies and shows you can pay to rent, one of the Prime account perks is that they make some of the Instant Video available to you for free

For instance you can rent a movie on Amazon Instant Video without having a prime account, but that movie may be free with the prime account.

Posts: 2207 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

So how in the heck does that work?? I always assumed it just had something to do with age and/or popularity. What determines who gets what movie to show at whatever a price?

The answer is lots and lots of negotiations and very complex legal agreements that typically involve blocks of movie titles packaged together to be distributed for an agreed upon fee plus royalties for each time a movie is viewed.

Netflix has a contract for Disney content that was negotiated a few years back. I assume that some of the Marvel titles like Captain America fall under this contract in some form or other.

Posts: 8896 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
All I know is that netflix lost Jake and The Neverland Pirates on New Years Day and I had to deal with a terrible two's tantrum like I've never experienced. Not cool considering it was a week since Santa brought the little man the Jolly Roger.

Posts: 4437 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
Picture of Pale Horse
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think you are confusing Amazon, or maybe Amazon instant video, with Amazon Prime. Prime is a service that Amazon offers which gives you free two day shipping as well as access to some movies and TV shows from the Amazon instant video library. Prime is not the name of Amazons instant video streaming service. If you are signed up for Amazon Prime then everything that is listed as Prime is free. Amazon does offer movies and TV shows for rent or purchase that are not Prime as well.

So saying "You go to watch on prime and it's still $5 or something" is not correct. You went to Amazon instant video and tried to watch something that was not included in their Prime subscription.

Personally I prefer the Amazon model as it allows me to still rent and buy movies and TV shows that are not available for free. Plus of course I get free two day shipping which is really why I have Amazon Prime.

Georgia Carry Member Calguns Foundation Member Second Amendment Foundation Member NRA Lifetime Member

Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets. -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 11674 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

I think you are confusing Amazon, or maybe Amazon instant video, with Amazon Prime. Prime is a service that Amazon offers which gives you free two day shipping as well as access to some movies and TV shows from the Amazon instant video library. Prime is not the name of Amazons instant video streaming service. If you are signed up for Amazon Prime then everything that is listed as Prime is free. Amazon does offer movies and TV shows for rent or purchase that are not Prime as well.

So saying "You go to watch on prime and it's still $5 or something" is not correct. You went to Amazon instant video and tried to watch something that was not included in their Prime subscription.

Personally I prefer the Amazon model as it allows me to still rent and buy movies and TV shows that are not available for free. Plus of course I get free two day shipping which is really why I have Amazon Prime.

I don't. If I want to pay for a movie I go to VUDU. I have HBO, Starz, Showtime, and Netflix (had prime but ditched it). Netflix I found to be far superior because of all of their tv series. BUT, between all of them, they each might have 1 good new release movie a month. If I want to rent a new release that is good, I'll go to vudu and rent the movie and it's the same price as amazon or less without all of the confusion.

Posts: 12817 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
The correct answer, as stated earlier, is licensing.

I am on a long overseas trip right now, and every country has a different list for Netflix and Amazon Prime. They negotiate the streaming rights for movies and TV series (other than their own) with every country that they are available. Their own series are available in whatever country they are.

Want to watch Narcos? If the country has Netflix, you are good to go. Want to watch Captain Phillips? GTG in Dubai, not so much in India. Licensing all the way.

----------------------------------
This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 956 | Location: Way south Texas | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Vudu is owned by Walmart, IIRC.

Posts: 19285 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I'm sure other boxes are like this but with a Roku you can search for a movie/show and it'll find all services where it's available and list the prices.

Posts: 9847 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
As a point of interest, there is a way on the Amazon app to exclude the "for pay" movies and shows from your lists and search results.

Posts: 4437 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
As a point of interest, there is a way on the Amazon app to exclude the "for pay" movies and shows from your lists and search results.

On most of the apps I have seen, there are specific categories of 'prime movies/tv shows etc'.

Posts: 2096 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post