SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What are some of your favorite movies, current and past?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are some of your favorite movies, current and past? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The John Carpenter version of "The Thing" is one of my favorites.

Dawn of the Dead 2004 is another. I have two copies of that on dvd just in case one wears out.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' was a long time favorite. It doesn't move me as much now as it did when I was younger though.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I see quite a few movies, but not a one of these is even familiar.
sometimes that's the point.

Granted, but speaking for myself, when I see a list without a single movie I've even heard of then I have no way of knowing whether we share any common interests, and as a result I'm more likely to completely dismiss your list as a source of future viewing suggestions, which I think is the point of the thread.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned 'The Big Lebowski' so I'll add that to my previous list.

Jim

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jimbo54,

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Man, these favorite movie lists with wide-open categories are really difficult! This one's tougher than the "Movies with No Explosions and Loud Noises" thread! Once again, I'm gonna have to add an extra filter.

Ten of My Favorite Movies to Watch in the Dead of Winter that Are Not Wind River, The Thing, The Shining, Fargo, Misery, or Groundhog Day:

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2. Let the Right One In
3. The Grand Budapest Hotel
4. Sunshine (2007)
5. Dear Frankie
6. Beautiful Girls
7. Better Off Dead
8. Kumiko The Treasure Hunter (Fargo related!)
9. Transsiberian
10. Hot Dog... The Movie - "The Chinese Downhill will decide everything!"

Runners up: A Simple Plan, Winter's Bone, Hanna, Cold Fever, Bølgen - The Wave

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Off the top of my head:

The Godfather I & II
The Maltese Falcon
Citizen Kane
The Apartment
Scarface
(the De Palma one)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Jerehmiah Johnson I've watched probably more than any other movie.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Granted, but speaking for myself, when I see a list without a single movie I've even heard of then I have no way of knowing whether we share any common interests, and as a result I'm more likely to completely dismiss your list as a source of future viewing suggestions, which I think is the point of the thread.
sure, dismiss away. nbd. anyone can list mainstream good movies. i seek off the beaten path films and are many times rewarded. and lifelong associations with new directors is reward enough for each winning gamble.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Many of the ones listed are my faves, but here's a few random ones I like as well:

Smilla's Sense of Snow
Fallen

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What the hell is "The Great Lebowski"?

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
The Traveling Executioner
The Flim Flam Man
They Shoot Horses Don't They?
Hell Is For Heroes
The Party
Point Blank
Hombre
The Professionals
The Equalizer
Charley Varrick
The Outfit
Vera Cruz
Bad Day At Black Rock
Bullitt
Dodgeball

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
along with those listed already, I really like sci-fi, so I will add:

Alien, and the add ones after that
Prometheus-prequel to ALien
Ex Machina
Run Silent, run deep
Das Boot
The big Red one
Saving Private Ryan
The Fifth Element

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phxtoad:
Fallen
Yours was the second time this was listed. Is this the one with Denzel Washington?

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Yeah with Denzel. Every time it's on I get completely sucked in.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Quigley Down Under
Die Hard
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The African Queen
The Fifth Element

...to name a few.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just watched The Professional again.

I forgot how good it was.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many already listed. I'll add:

Lawrence Of Arabia
The Man Who Would Be King
The Third Man
Miller's Crossing
Blade Runner
Don't Look Now
Charade
Wait Until Dark
North By Northwest
To Have And Have Not
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Professionals
McCabe And Mrs. Miller
Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid
Cat Ballou
Run Silent, Run Deep
Witness For The Prosecution

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diner

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
What the hell is "The Great Lebowski"?

Oops, I meant 'The Big Lebowski'. I may have been thinking about 'The Great Escape', another movie I should have mentioned. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the offerings. I have a list now big enough to get me through the winter. Wink

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post