SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted
The arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Northern lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see,

Was that night on the Marge of Lake Lebarge, that I cremated Sam McGee.

one of my favorite Service poems.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Shakespeare?

Razz

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I'll see how much of this I can pull from my dusty old memory... So forgive me if I'm off a bit.

"Now Sam McGee was from Tennessee where the cotton blooms and blows.
And why he left his home in the South to roam around the Pole well God only knows.
He was always cold but that land of Gold seemed to hold him like a spell. Though he'd often say in his homely way that he'd rather live in Hell"

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
"On a Christmas Day we were mushing our way over the Dawson trail.
Talk of your cold! through the parka's fold it stabbed like a driven nail.
If our eyes we'd close, then the lashes froze till sometimes we couldn't see;
It wasn't much fun, but the only one to whimper was Sam McGee."

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I started reading, the cadence immediately made me think of the song, "Convoy" by C. W. McCall.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
There's a race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.

That's as much Service as I can quote. Big Grin

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dangerous Dan McGrew.
And the Service poem "Just Think" will be on my headstone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I prefer Kipling.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
I prefer Kipling.

Actually, Kipling, and Gunga Din, was the first thing I thought of. I don't know this poem. Jack London was the second thing I thought of, only because of the North country. I suppose I should look it up...

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thank you for your Service.

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Johny Cash recorded this, it is pretty good.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now Sam McGee was from Tennessee where the cotton blooms and blows

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post