SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Time to assemble a new PC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to assemble a new PC Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
After a year of looking at the DCS icon on my laptop's screen, I've taken the first steps to building a new desktop system.

This time, I'm gonna play a little with RGB and AIO cooling. Anyone else 'roll their own'? Wanna share pics?

I'm not really techy enough to get into the finer points of my build. Goal is to have an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 as the GPU. AMD CPU, so I can make the most of this new PCIe 4.0 card.

Last bit should be a VR headset, like HP's Reverb G2 (though by the time I'm done, it'll probably be G4 Big Grin)

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Hey! I just built this about 2 months ago. I sold my old unit, and kept the 1080Ti that was in it. Still waiting to get a Rog Strix RTX 3080. I have custom cable sleeves but haven't attempted the install yet. Good luck with your build, post some pics!

EVGA Super Nova 750
Fractal Design Define 7
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-A
Intel Core i9-10850KA
Corsair Hydro Series H100i
Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200 MHz 64GB
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB
EVGA 1080Ti for now...
Win 10 Pro

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
I am still trying to figure out how to get some good pictures of mine. Frown
Built back in April, upgraded from a 1700X with 16GB and 1080TI SLI.....on water...

Phanteks Enthoo Pro with glass side
AMD 3900X overclocked
Crosshair 8 Hero
32GB Trident Z Neo
2 MSI 2080TI SLI overclocked
500GB 970 EVO NVME boot drive
6TB WD Black HD for storage
EK Water loop
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+
Win 10 Pro
And 2 27" Asus monitors at 2560x1440

I am planning on changing the rear case fan at some point for a RGB, and the only "complaint" I have is I don't have any way to light the CPU block Big Grin

My keyboard and mouse also have RGB...sort of...but my "desk" is a mess and I don't think you really want to see that lol Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Gigabyte AORUS X570 Elite
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB
EVGA Super Nova 850 GS
Fractal Design Meshify C

I have a CableMod kit coming for the PSU, and some heat sinks for the M.2 SSDs. Obviously no graphics card yet and I'm still debating RAM. How do you like the Corsair AiO? I was thinking either it or one of the NZXT Krakens. I need to get the case to figure out if I can front mount the radiator with hoses down before I can really decide I think.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on v2 of my 2019 build. Original specs:

Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
i7-9700k
2080ti Founders edition
32gb Ram
2 nvme drives
Louqe S1 case

It was beautiful but the GPU wasn't getting enough air and during DCS sessions it would hit 81C and the fans would go to full speed. It was annoyingly loud.

For version 2, I moved it to an Ncase M1 and built built a custom cooling loop using a single 240mm radiator. It's a little bit bigger than the Ghost S1 case but the cooling and noise performance exceeded my expectations.

I got the idea from the Youtube Channel "Optimum Tech". Essentially, it's his build without the second bottom mounted radiator. I'm getting excellent performance out of the single radiator setup.

Instead of using the combo pump block, I used the external reservoir/pump that became available later:

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AllenInWV:
How do you like the Corsair AiO? /QUOTE]

I used a corsair AIO in the first revision of my build for about 6 months. It worked very well and was quiet. No mess no fuss. My first case was very small and I wasn't completely happy with the temps on air cooling. The corsair solved it. Would recommend.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

Last bit should be a VR headset, like HP's Reverb G2 (though by the time I'm done, it'll probably be G4 Big Grin)

I got my first VR headset, a Reverb G2, back in November. I pre-ordered it on a whim in June (peak lockdown) after watching MRTV's preview on youtube. I couldn't be happier. In fact, after playing DCS exclusively in VR for the last 6 weeks I tried to play it on my (excellent) 34" widescreen 1440p monitor. It was terrible, I can't go back from VR.

It's not all peas and carrots, though. The visual quality in VR isn't as good as on a monitor. On my monitor I can play with everything on high at 1440P and it looks cinematic. Simply gorgeous. I was using head tracking and I was having a great time. In VR you have to turn the settings down to get good frame rates. Though initially disappointing, the spatial awareness in VR is so superb that I don't care that it doesn't look cinematic any more.

The buttons are *real*. The ground rushes up at you. When you roll and dive your body expects you to be moving. It's crazy how good the VR experience is. I fly mainly the Viper and the Huey. In the Huey it took a week and half to get over the real motion sickness I was getting in VR. In the Viper when I set the autopilot and start a long flight I keep trying to rest my arm on the cockpit frame, like an open car window, because it's *right there*.

You'll have to do some tweaking in DCS to make it work well in VR. I tried DCS without optimization when I first got the headset and it was not good. This is the optimization guide I used and the results were fantastic.

https://vr4dcs.com/2020/12/24/...o-nail-reverb-setup/

Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
The Meshify C is a nice case for its size. A 240 AIO will fit front mount BUT...

Hoses down would be ok as long as you have the hose length, but what you will most likely end up running into is with the thickness of the rad and fans. With the 30 series GPU you would need to find some slim fans and mount them to the front outside of the case. I haven't seen much on the new Radeon card sizes, but what I have seen, most of them are not really any smaller.

Even then it would still be a darn snug fit and you will most likely not have room for the hoses to fit between the rad and GPU. The hoses would need to be up, and with the slim fans you might end up not really getting the best cooling you would need.

Here is a Gigabyte 3080 in a C. Not mine...

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcs...eshify_c_mini_nhd15/

It's in their but snug lol Big Grin

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that info. I was wondering if the RTX 3080 would fit with a front-mounted radiator. I may grab a NZXT H510 from Amazon and do some measuring. Looks like it can handle a bigger GPU (381mm vs 315mm). That extra length may allow for the rad.

As for the DCS side, I have a lot to do. I picked up some WW2 stuff from the holiday sales. May start with those before tackling a jet. Big Grin

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
If you were asking abou my Corsair AIO. It's my 3rd Corsiar AIO going back to 2011. They have all worked well for me. I rarely OC my builds anymore, and until I have the need probably won't. The last Corsair AIO unit I bought though had some real shitty fans and I ended up shelling out another $80 for Noctua fans. During gaming the fans sounded like a Harrier jump jet was landing in my living room. This iteration is much improved over that cooler(2016). Not silent but tolerable in game.

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Not gonna lie....I am AiOing purely for aesthetics.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PakRatJR:
The Meshify C is a nice case for its size. A 240 AIO will fit front mount BUT...

Just realized, that's a C Mini. I am gonna have to compare sizes between it and the "regular" C.

Damnit....both take a 315mm GPU with front fans in.

Picture of PakRatJR
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just realized, that's a C Mini. I am gonna have to compare sizes between it and the "regular" C.

Damnit....both take a 315mm GPU with front fans in.

LOL DOH!!! I missed that as well sorry Frown Confused I don't even remember ever seeing a Mini before now.

According to this guy, a 3808 FE will fit with a 280MM.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fract...c_with_a_280_mm_rad/

I guess the biggest determination would be what GPU you end up getting, with the length of that being the only issue.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
You guys are pretty amazing, some pretty cool builds.

I wish I still had the knowledge to do something like this

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Seriously, if I can assemble one, you can. Big Grin Now, if you're talking about overclocking it or whatever, I'm lost. But planning a build, getting the parts and assembling....pretty easy.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Seriously, if I can assemble one, you can. Big Grin Now, if you're talking about overclocking it or whatever, I'm lost. But planning a build, getting the parts and assembling....pretty easy.

Yep it's pretty easy these days. If you are seriously interested I'm sure a few of us here could help you out with a build.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:

According to this guy, a 3808 FE will fit with a 280MM.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fract...c_with_a_280_mm_rad/

Yeah, and looks like the Founder's Edition is one of the smaller ones. Guess I'll do a top-mount instead. I just ordered fans, AiO (all EK-Varder stuff) and some of that G.Skill Trident Z Neo RAM. Now I just have to wait on a GPU.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Micro Center had 3090's last week, but I just can't justify $1700 Eek

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Goal is to have an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 as the GPU.

Not to burst the bubble, but try to find one of those as a separate card. Unobtanium.

System builders have snapped most of them up and put them on pre-built systems.

Oh, you can get them now....for a big multiple of their suggested (and eventual) prices. Do you want/need a $699 card for $1500 now, knowing it will be back down to $699 when the factory catches up with demand?

TL: DR - Search "RTX 3080" and what you will find is 'out of stock', pre-built systems, and ridiculous prices.

I think you have three, maybe four choices:
1) delay the project till 3080s are in stock;
2) change your target to a different GPU;
3) bite the bullet and pay 2-3x value; or
4) grab one of those pre-built systems.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer. I have been in the market for a 3070 and have watched the same dynamic. I'm holding off till the factory catches up with demand, and market prices drop to steady state.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post