SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Time to assemble a new PC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to assemble a new PC Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm being patient. I'm also waiting on the Reverb G2 and looking for a HOTAS or good joystick (probably the VKB Gladiator NXT).

Did I mention I don't have a desk yet for the desktop? Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Micro Center had 3090's last week, but I just can't justify $1700 Eek

Same here. I do try to build things with an eye on "overkill now, but will 'keep up' for a long time", but I think the 3080 should be fine for now.

Got to handle my mobo this morning. Man, these things have changed. I can't recall the exact ASUS board I used on my son's desktop, but this one blows it away in terms of "feel". Even looks cool. I like how the I/O ports are now kinda 'monolithic' so I won't have that flimsy tin-feeling shield to install in the case.

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I love capitalism.....but this buying up of components and reselling them on eBay as "Used-Like New", marked up 200-300% does piss me off. The RTX 3080 being a great example.

I also noticed the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS set is now unobtanium for less than $800+. Roll Eyes

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
You Like A' Da Juice? Big Grin Even the NVME SSD has a nice little cover, marked it with a red star.

I have picked the 2 worst times to build a gaming machine. 3 years ago in 2018 with the crypto craze. I ended up getting a 1080Ti for $700 plus tax. And now with the "Covid manufacturing" issues.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
NOICE!

I do like how even the motherboards are starting to take looks into consideration.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Oh, I'm being patient. I'm also waiting on the Reverb G2 and looking for a HOTAS or good joystick (probably the VKB Gladiator NXT).

Seems like the Virpil stuff, though backordered, is shipping in 2 months. With inflated prices on mainstream gear, the high end stuff is tempting.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
NOICE!

Big Grin

Going to try for this card, but will take one in black if I can get one that is not marked up ridiculously.

https://store.asus.com/us/item...er-Alloy-Power-II%29

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
A non-marked up RTX 3080 is like looking for hen's teeth. LOL I was reading about the Radeon 3600XT, thinking maybe, since mine is AMD, that I could "settle" for one of those.....they're gone too (though supposedly they'll be coming back sooner than the NVIDIA stuff).

posted Hide Post

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
LOL Here goes nothing......

Yup, sold out.

posted Hide Post
Yep, they move fast

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Can't compete with bots.

posted Hide Post
Checking in Allen. Any luck?

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Nah. LOL I had two alerts from Discord about Radeon 6800XTs, responded within a minute.....no luck. LOL

But the rest of it is coming together nicely! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Hey Allen. This weekend the online squadron I fly with took on the Grim Reapers as part of a 4 squadron tournament. They kicked the holy hell out of us, but we won the round by capturing one of their airfields. This is the Grim Reapers stream of the event. Once your PC is built you really must get into multiplayer. It's way too much fun.

The actual event took 4 hours Cool

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Gotta learn to fly first. LOL

Almost scored a 3080 on a Discord alert, but I guess I didn't hit the "add to cart" fast enough. LOL

Getting there though...

posted Hide Post
nice

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post

Well, looks like at least the fans and AiO are all plugged in right. Big Grin

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Did you make your own cable extensions or did you buy them? If you bought where did you get them?

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Very nice. Did you make your own cable extensions or did you buy them? If you bought where did you get them?

On no, I don't have that kind of knowledge. LOL Only extensions are the front panel I/O cables, which I got from Wagg Customs. Most of the rest are a CableMod PSU replacement cable kit I found on Amazon.

And thanks all. I now must bide my time waiting on a GPU. I will fill those hours looking for a throttle to go with my VKB joystick and then mount it on the chair. LOL