SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Time to assemble a new PC
Page 1 2 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to assemble a new PC Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Goal is to have an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 as the GPU.

Not to burst the bubble, but try to find one of those as a separate card. Unobtanium.

System builders have snapped most of them up and put them on pre-built systems.

Oh, you can get them now....for a big multiple of their suggested (and eventual) prices. Do you want/need a $699 card for $1500 now, knowing it will be back down to $699 when the factory catches up with demand?

TL: DR - Search "RTX 3080" and what you will find is 'out of stock', pre-built systems, and ridiculous prices.

I think you have three, maybe four choices:
1) delay the project till 3080s are in stock;
2) change your target to a different GPU;
3) bite the bullet and pay 2-3x value; or
4) grab one of those pre-built systems.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer. I have been in the market for a 3070 and have watched the same dynamic. I'm holding off till the factory catches up with demand, and market prices drop to steady state.

Posts: 13501 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm being patient. I'm also waiting on the Reverb G2 and looking for a HOTAS or good joystick (probably the VKB Gladiator NXT).

Did I mention I don't have a desk yet for the desktop? Big Grin

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot

Posts: 15763 | Location: Cross Lanes, WV | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Micro Center had 3090's last week, but I just can't justify $1700 Eek

Same here. I do try to build things with an eye on "overkill now, but will 'keep up' for a long time", but I think the 3080 should be fine for now.

Got to handle my mobo this morning. Man, these things have changed. I can't recall the exact ASUS board I used on my son's desktop, but this one blows it away in terms of "feel". Even looks cool. I like how the I/O ports are now kinda 'monolithic' so I won't have that flimsy tin-feeling shield to install in the case.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot

Posts: 15763 | Location: Cross Lanes, WV | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys reminded me while I went cheap on my last build...besides having a small budget, lol. I was looking at graphics cards at the time, ~4 years ago, and I want to say all the mid-level gaming cards that I wanted were in high demand and like $500...basically doubling my system cost. I want to say it was related to some of the bitcoin mining at the time, idk. It was eye-opening, even for a guy that built plenty of mid-level systems over the years.

I ended up getting my kids a PS4 instead of the graphics card. Interestingly enough, I'd probably get a PS5 before sinking that much into a card nowadays either, but I rarely game on the PC. At one point I spent a small fortune outfitting myself to play Battlefield 1942, including a pretty sweet force-feedback joystick that the pricks at MS stopping supporting way too soon, lol.

Posts: 5475 | Location: CO | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
I love capitalism.....but this buying up of components and reselling them on eBay as "Used-Like New", marked up 200-300% does piss me off. The RTX 3080 being a great example.

I also noticed the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS set is now unobtanium for less than $800+. Roll Eyes

- Jim Elliot

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
You Like A' Da Juice? Big Grin Even the NVME SSD has a nice little cover, marked it with a red star.

I have picked the 2 worst times to build a gaming machine. 3 years ago in 2018 with the crypto craze. I ended up getting a 1080Ti for $700 plus tax. And now with the "Covid manufacturing" issues.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1144 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
NOICE!

I do like how even the motherboards are starting to take looks into consideration.

- Jim Elliot

posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, I'm being patient. I'm also waiting on the Reverb G2 and looking for a HOTAS or good joystick (probably the VKB Gladiator NXT).

Seems like the Virpil stuff, though backordered, is shipping in 2 months. With inflated prices on mainstream gear, the high end stuff is tempting.

Posts: 751 | Location: STL MO | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
NOICE!

Big Grin

Going to try for this card, but will take one in black if I can get one that is not marked up ridiculously.

https://store.asus.com/us/item...er-Alloy-Power-II%29

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1144 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
A non-marked up RTX 3080 is like looking for hen's teeth. LOL I was reading about the Radeon 3600XT, thinking maybe, since mine is AMD, that I could "settle" for one of those.....they're gone too (though supposedly they'll be coming back sooner than the NVIDIA stuff).

- Jim Elliot

posted Hide Post

Posts: 751 | Location: STL MO | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
LOL Here goes nothing......

Yup, sold out.

- Jim Elliot

posted Hide Post
Yep, they move fast

Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
Can't compete with bots.

- Jim Elliot

posted Hide Post
Checking in Allen. Any luck?

Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
Nah. LOL I had two alerts from Discord about Radeon 6800XTs, responded within a minute.....no luck. LOL

But the rest of it is coming together nicely! Big Grin

- Jim Elliot