SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The thirty best guitar players
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The thirty best guitar players Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
no Ritchie Blackmore

Posts: 247 | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
slash ... just guitarists and in no way excellent)

Uhhh...say what?
Just some guys that play guitar that happen to be in popular mediocre bands.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it’s fair to say there’s a difference between technical best and artistic best. If one goes on YouTube and searches for “best guitarist” a lot of the results are just goofballs doing sixty-fourth notes as long as they can, up and down, etc.

Like with drummers, for example. One of my favorites to listen to is Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band). His high-hat work and general articulation is just fabulous to me. But what makes him enjoyable for me is how cohesive his playing is with the band. He knows when to play hard and when not to. It’s synergistic, and not just a super-high-speed solo all the time.

I think if one were to really consider what’s enjoyable about a guitar player, it might be worth listening to bands whose songs are sublime and then figure out if the guitar is part of the reason why. Nice discussion.

Posts: 386 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A list without Randy Rhoads, Rik Emmet or Gary Moore?

All 3 should be on a top guitar player list whether it is a best or influential list.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post