SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The thirty best guitar players
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The thirty best guitar players Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2AoWiqSmxA

Mmmmmm,

SRV should have been rated better than 12.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What, no Carl Perkins!?
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/uaGF6WPuSpM [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not buying about 3/4ths of them.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Aquabird about the list. This list isn't necessarily about talent it's about who the publisher of the list likes. For me I would have Randy Rhoads and Andres Segovia on that list before a lot of the others, but that's my opinion for what it's worth.

Posts: 1249 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These lists are always a waste of time. What determines the greatness of a guitar player? All anyone can ever do is come up with a list of their favorites, everyone else will agree that some are great and that some aren't and the circle goes round and round.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Surprise! Hendrix #1. Eek

Half of them on the list are/were so influential that I never heard of them or cared for their noise. Not that anyone gives 2 shits what I think. Confused

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The video says “Influential,” underneath the video it says “Best and Greatest,” and the OP says “best.” Some good choices, some bad, some horrible omissions (whether the criteria is influential or best). On a scale of 1 - 10
(10 being high and 1 being low), I give this list about a “D.”

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
should have been titled "Guitarists I like the most" instead

that list blows alphabet soup

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
should have been titled "Guitarists I like the most" instead

that list blows alphabet soup

Even does a bad job at that.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
The video says “Influential,” underneath the video it says “Best and Greatest,” and the OP says “best.” Some good choices, some bad, some horrible omissions (whether the criteria is influential or best). On a scale of 1 - 10

The guy who put the video together didn't know what the hell he was trying to do.

For me, Chuck Berry and George Harrison are top 10 when it comes to most influential guitarists.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

The guy who put the video together didn't know what the hell he was trying to do.

For me, Chuck Berry and George Harrison are top 10 when it comes to most influential guitarists.
Right. If the criteria is “influential,” you could have a few guys from each decade. I’ve got some ideas, but there’s no point.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Pretty tough to find any of those top guys that would not say they were influenced by Robert Johnson. And he was number 22?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
There were a few stinkers on the list (townsend, young, slash and others who are just guitarists and in no way excellent) but it's actually quite a good list of guitarists.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
slash ... just guitarists and in no way excellent)

Uhhh...say what?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Who came up with this list? Some 12 year old kid in his basement?

Eric Clapton better than Gilmour? Really?

And where is Mark Knopfler?

Bitch please.

Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
These lists always fail in some important way. Not the worst list I have ever seen, but consensus on something like this is impossible.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve played guitar for 50 years, from Flamenco to Progressive Rock, and feel I have a fair appreciation of guitar talent. This list is simply BS.

Stay safe, Steve

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoinRoller:
This list is simply BS.

"Dontcha know Prince is only a slightly less influential guitar player than Django Reinhardt, but more influential as a guitarist than John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert and Yngwie Malmsteen?"

Yeah, I punched out there. Total horseshit. Three guys with decades worth of signature model guitars produced from top 3 guitar makers just got smoked by Prince? GMAFB. Roll Eyes

I just saw there's several signature "Prince" signature models offered by Schechter now, but looks like that happened after he died. Ed Roman made a nice living off of selling overpriced versions of signature Satriani, Petrucci, and Vai guitars. I wonder if he's mad the Prince models weren't available back in the hey-day. Probably not.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Any list that doesn't have Rik Emmet in is crap. There are a lot of good choices though.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3857 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post