The thirty best guitar players

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/6400050344

June 13, 2018, 05:54 PM
RichardC
The thirty best guitar players
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2AoWiqSmxA

Mmmmmm,

SRV should have been rated better than 12.

June 13, 2018, 06:34 PM
recoatlift
What, no Carl Perkins!?
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/uaGF6WPuSpM [/FLASH_VIDEO]
June 13, 2018, 07:30 PM
Aquabird
Not buying about 3/4ths of them.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
June 13, 2018, 08:13 PM
dedguy
I'm with Aquabird about the list. This list isn't necessarily about talent it's about who the publisher of the list likes. For me I would have Randy Rhoads and Andres Segovia on that list before a lot of the others, but that's my opinion for what it's worth.
June 13, 2018, 09:11 PM
sigspecops
These lists are always a waste of time. What determines the greatness of a guitar player? All anyone can ever do is come up with a list of their favorites, everyone else will agree that some are great and that some aren't and the circle goes round and round.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
June 13, 2018, 10:24 PM
mikeyspizza
Surprise! Hendrix #1. Eek

Half of them on the list are/were so influential that I never heard of them or cared for their noise. Not that anyone gives 2 shits what I think. Confused
June 13, 2018, 11:21 PM
TMats
The video says “Influential,” underneath the video it says “Best and Greatest,” and the OP says “best.” Some good choices, some bad, some horrible omissions (whether the criteria is influential or best). On a scale of 1 - 10
(10 being high and 1 being low), I give this list about a “D.”

June 14, 2018, 12:28 PM
bendable
should have been titled "Guitarists I like the most" instead

that list blows alphabet soup

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
June 14, 2018, 12:43 PM
fpuhan

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
June 14, 2018, 04:23 PM
21bubba
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
should have been titled "Guitarists I like the most" instead

that list blows alphabet soup

Even does a bad job at that.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?
June 14, 2018, 05:21 PM
Edmond
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
The video says “Influential,” underneath the video it says “Best and Greatest,” and the OP says “best.” Some good choices, some bad, some horrible omissions (whether the criteria is influential or best). On a scale of 1 - 10

The guy who put the video together didn't know what the hell he was trying to do.

For me, Chuck Berry and George Harrison are top 10 when it comes to most influential guitarists.

June 14, 2018, 06:14 PM
TMats
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

The guy who put the video together didn't know what the hell he was trying to do.

For me, Chuck Berry and George Harrison are top 10 when it comes to most influential guitarists.
Right. If the criteria is “influential,” you could have a few guys from each decade. I’ve got some ideas, but there’s no point.

June 17, 2018, 07:46 AM
Bassamatic
Pretty tough to find any of those top guys that would not say they were influenced by Robert Johnson. And he was number 22?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.
June 17, 2018, 04:01 PM
mark123
There were a few stinkers on the list (townsend, young, slash and others who are just guitarists and in no way excellent) but it's actually quite a good list of guitarists.
June 17, 2018, 05:15 PM
Balzé Halzé
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
slash ... just guitarists and in no way excellent)

Uhhh...say what?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle
June 18, 2018, 03:05 AM
Gustofer
Who came up with this list? Some 12 year old kid in his basement?

Eric Clapton better than Gilmour? Really?

And where is Mark Knopfler?

Bitch please.

Big Grin

June 18, 2018, 04:40 PM
bdylan
These lists always fail in some important way. Not the worst list I have ever seen, but consensus on something like this is impossible.
June 18, 2018, 07:06 PM
CoinRoller
I’ve played guitar for 50 years, from Flamenco to Progressive Rock, and feel I have a fair appreciation of guitar talent. This list is simply BS.

Stay safe, Steve

I Drink & I Know Things
June 18, 2018, 08:38 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by CoinRoller:
This list is simply BS.

"Dontcha know Prince is only a slightly less influential guitar player than Django Reinhardt, but more influential as a guitarist than John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert and Yngwie Malmsteen?"

Yeah, I punched out there. Total horseshit. Three guys with decades worth of signature model guitars produced from top 3 guitar makers just got smoked by Prince? GMAFB. Roll Eyes

I just saw there's several signature "Prince" signature models offered by Schechter now, but looks like that happened after he died. Ed Roman made a nice living off of selling overpriced versions of signature Satriani, Petrucci, and Vai guitars. I wonder if he's mad the Prince models weren't available back in the hey-day. Probably not.

June 19, 2018, 10:13 PM
Captain Morgan
Any list that doesn't have Rik Emmet in is crap. There are a lot of good choices though.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin