SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Apple 12" MacBook Advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple 12" MacBook Advice Login/Join 
Picture of TAP
posted
Due to my sons cat fragging my '15 MacBook Pro 13" last night, I am in need of a new laptop.
I want to go ultraportable as they call it now.
The 12" MacBook has many options/configurations.
For a internet surfing/photo editing device, should I focus on 512 over 256 storage, or 16mb over 8mb memory?

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
In my experience, the 12" units are woefully underpowered due to the processor Apple choose to use. Isn't it the same processor as the Intel Compute stick USB thumb sized "computer"?

YMMV, but at the price Apple charges, you're only a couple hundred from a refurbished 13" i5 from 2017.

(Imo, ymmv, etc, esc)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would definitely go with 16gb of RAM. When I got my latest Macbook pro that had 16GB it was a night and day difference.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
In my experience, the 12" units are woefully underpowered due to the processor Apple choose to use. Isn't it the same processor as the Intel Compute stick USB thumb sized "computer"?

I agree. A refurb MBP would serve much better. As far as options, get the RAM. That can never be upgraded, since it is soldered in, so what you get at first is what you've got. As far as the SSD, there are choices. Depends on just how much data you absolutely need to keep on your boot drive. If it can fit in 256GB, fine. I have 500 GB SSD's in my two Mac's. One uses ~100GB for data, and the other (my main desktop), uses <50GB for data. The main desktop has a Thunderbolt bay attached, so I have always-ready access to TB's of data. I keep most everything on the Thunderbolt drives.

The SSD's can be end-user upgraded, and alternatively, with a nice USB 3.0 port, you can have an external drive up to several TB in size to store data.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What did the cat do to it?

Posts: 1067 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
Sat on the open keyboard and pulled a pint glass of cranberry and fizzy water onto it. Classic cat.
Its up and running now, but very buggy.

I'm looking for something lighter than a 13" MBP since my edc bag has a lot of other gear in it too.
Thats why I started looking at the 12". Saves me a pound and thats a lot with my load out.

Ps. Once I got it running figured out the MBP is a 2014.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
For what’s its worth you may want to hold up for a little bit. There’s been talk since the start of the new year in tech circles that they will be dropping the price of the MacBook Air. Just something to chew on.

MacBook Air price drop

Posts: 587 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Aren't they relaunching the Air as well? Or updating the specs or something. A coworker said something about an updated Air coming out soon. (Along with the SE2)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
From what I have read 'online' (so big grain of salt), there will be CPU upgrades and the Air line will go away since it does not have the Retina display.
I too am waiting to see if a true SE 2 happens