SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Life Aquatic. Not as funny as I expected
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life Aquatic. Not as funny as I expected Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I finally watched this a couple of nights ago. Didn’t people really like this movie? It was meh, okay, but not the comedy I was expecting spinal tap level humor but it kind of feel short. It had its moments though.

Am I alone in this observation?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Have you seen and liked other Wes Anderson movies?

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t say. Don’t know his other works.

**edit: just looked up his other movies, and no, I haven’t.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I think Wes Anderson films are a little more off-beat and droll type of humor. Spinal Tap is more full-force farcical. Spinal Tap plays a little more broader. If you "get" Wes Anderson's style of weird whimsical dryness, it's pretty hysterical. Personally, I love his stuff, but Life Aquatic is not my favorite.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I was dragged to the theater to watch The Royal Tenenbaums by some friends and wanted to kill myself by the halfway mark. It's the only Wes Anderson movie I've seen.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Do the interns get Glocks?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Saw it once, hated it. Some hipster friends of mine at the time seemed to think it was absolutely hilarious. Not my kind of humor, evidently, as I love to laugh and didn't once throughout the film.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
No, they share one.

But the movie is an acquired taste. I didnt really start liking it until the second time I saw it and I really like it now. I dont think its meant to be tremendously funny.

quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Do the interns get Glocks?

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it's a movie like Napoleon Dynamite where it gets really funny the more you watch it. I still found it moderately amusing and it wasn't terrible. I was just expecting more.

Tony.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I wonder if it's a movie like Napoleon Dynamite where it gets really funny the more you watch it.

Not really.

I like the aesthetics of some of Wes Anderson's films, especially The Grand Budapest Hotel. But I don't find any of them to be "funny".

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i don't really think of it as a 'comedy'

it's more of a humorous drama:

middle age
marriage
loss
relationships
fading career prospects
etc

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me, it gets funnier the more I watch it but I understand it not being everybody's thing.

I love Grand Budapest and strongly recommend it to anyone regardless of it you like his other stuff. It's got a bit more of a universal adapter on it. I wouldn't go into it thinking of it as a comedy but maybe more as a fairy tale or a fable. Theres plenty of humor but also tragedy and everything in between.

I've tried Royal Tannenbaums but never quite make it through if that gives you an idea of were I'm at. I'd put them in ranking of what i've seen as

Grand Budapest
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Life Aquatic
Isle of Dogs
Royal Tannenbaums (can I comment on it? I've actually never finished it)

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched it years ago. I'm not inclined to do so again.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Dafoe and Murray were hilarious. Wilson not so much. I liked the film however.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedV
posted Hide Post
Dude! Life Aquatic, Napoleon Dynamite, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, etc. Those comedies are genius. I liken it to a Monty Python (sort of). Definitely a different kind of humor.

“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers.

Posts: 23 | Location: Gulf Coast Region  | Registered: October 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post