New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mortal Kombat Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
It's... not as bad as the 1995 version. (That's a pretty low bar.) And that's about the only praise I can give it.

I know, I know. It's a movie based on a 30 year old arcade game. It was never going be Citizen Kane. Still, it was pretty crappy, even as a "turn off your brain and watch some martial arts" flick. The first scene is decent, and got my hopes up a little, but it's downhill from there.

Luckily, it was available at no extra charge through HBO Max. So I'm only out the time.

Skip it, unless you're just a die-hard MK fan.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'm nowhere near a die-hard MK fan and I enjoyed it just fine. The first scene was great and better than the rest but the rest was ok too. Kano was great and the fights were good with some excellent bloody fatalities. Subzero's special effects were really good, I thought.

The plot was stupid, with no actual tournament, and Rayden did nothing, which sucked. And the new guy... meh. Otherwise it was decent.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night, definitely mindless entertainment. Don't expect the plot to make any damned sense. Those couple of bloody fatalities were the best part

2 and a 1/2 mehs out of five

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
You guys already covered all the bases.

It's better than the original, but that's not saying much.

The opening scene was definitely the best scene. Good enough it could have stood on it's own as a short video.

Kano really steals the show and I think the movie would have been much worse and less tolerable without him.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It was a fun watch at home in the theater. PQ wasn’t that great for 4k and the compressed audio sure sucked as usual, but I had low expectations and it was “fun”. Dumb, but fun. They set it up for sequels. I like Tadanobu Asano and a big fan of Hiroyuki Sanada.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I love the Scorpion and Sub-Zero rivalry. It was intense. Kung Lao was Badass. I like it.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ha, yeah. Silly and fun.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I watched it. I finished it. That's about all that comes to mind.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was never going be Citizen Kane.

What about Luke Kane?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it quite a bit. It hit the right about of nostalgia cues, and I thought the fight scenes were entertaining.

I'll admit it won't be for everyone, but it's not bad (imo).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it way more then the others. Thought it was wicked fun and funny as hell at times.

I mean it’s not art it’s just stupid video game fun. Honestly as far as video game movies this was one of the better ones. (Although I only know the games in passing).

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I think MK has been ignored for so long, The story is a cashcow and now is investing properly into it. If made a TV series i am sure it will sell so much and t will make history...The story and all the characters are too many to put into one movie.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. The opening scene was fantastic! I was disappointed in Kung Lao's death. If he was going to go out, it should have been a different way.

Shang Tsung was played by the same guy who played Jia Sidao, from Marco Polo. He's a good villain.

Back in the day, Kabal was my character of choice. It was nice to see him in this movie. I used to play him and the red robot guy (can't remember his name).

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post