SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    George C. Scott as Patton
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

George C. Scott as Patton Login/Join 
posted
How often has an actor been better suited for a role? Pulled out my old VCR tape and am re-watching this gem. Engrossing performance in an interesting movie.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
He owned it. He owned the shit out of it.

I have that movie on VHS, DVD and BluRay.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
And excellent bit of acting, to be sure.

Just be glad George C. Scott didn't try to mimic Patton's voice... He had a high-pitched, whiny, nasaly voice. Nothing like Scott's deeper, gravely, more imposing voice.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well, there ya go. Movies bigger and better than life!

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
One of my all-time favorites.

Even the soundtrack was outstanding!

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
One of my all-time favorites.

Even the soundtrack was outstanding!

Yes, I like the soundtrack. I like that eerie bit that repeats from time to time, as when he talks of being on the battlefield with the Carthaginians.

posted Hide Post
Here's a recording of a speech Patton made in Los Angeles in 1945, for comparison to Scott:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad was a radio operator, 301st Signal Corp 3rd Army. When the film came out he took me to see. I heard him audibly gasp at the opening scene. As we left the theater after the film ended I asked, as a 13 yr old kid might, why he gasped and more about his war experience.

Like many men of his generation he never talked much about WWII but did have a lot of pictures of himself and the places he went. He said that while George C. Scott didn't sound like Patton he sure looked like him. The movie brought back a lot of memories that he never shared.

Great film, have the DVD, both my sons still enjoy it today-especially the E6 older son.

Here's my dad prior to leaving for Europe.

His "Ike" jacket after he made E4

Dad on the left after running in to his cousin purely by chance in France.

Posts: 1840 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
My first cousin, Sgt Edward J Glofka served under Patton during WWII. He was a tank commander during the Battle of the Bulge and was in the 702nd Tank Destroyer Battalion...often called Patton's Troubleshooters.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Both my Father-in-law and my wife's uncle served in Patton's Third Army in WWII, one as an artillery officer, one as a tank gunner. I loved the movie and watch it whenever I catch it on TV. As others have said, Scott nailed it!

As a bright young, bushy-tailed 1st Lt., I was asked to interview for the position as aide to George Patton's son when he was promoted to Brigadier General in Germany C.1969. Don't know if I would have gotten the position but I was not at all career-oriented and indicated I did not want to be considered because it was a great opportunity for junior officers who did plan on making it a career. My Ranger buddy got the job and stayed in for well over 20 years, retiring as an O-6. (If I had stayed in for over 20 and not been "riffed" for having fairly serious authority & rebellious issues, I would have retired as no more than a Captain. Big Grin

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
He owned it. He owned the shit out of it.

Twice.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is always gonna be a classic. A shame there are not more men like him anymore. Get the job done, period.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old man was Third Army too. Rode a Harley as a Scout for an Armored unit.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the privilege of knowing one of the horsemen involved Gen. Patton's rescue of the Lippizan horses. I was privy to some interesting tales and so happy to have had the friendship.

Posts: 516 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting that clip, newtoSig765. I had never heard his voice, his words and message are strong.

Also, a thank you to the other posters for sharing history and bravery.

What resolve America & her allies put forth. I love my country!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
My grandfather was "intelligence". Which basically meant "get in that jeep and drive around until someone shoots at you. Then let us know." Anyhoo Grandad was written up by one of Patton's aides for not having his helmet shined. Knowing Grandad his helmet was probably pretty filthy. Seems German snipers loved shiny helmets even more than Patton.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clipper1:
I had the privilege of knowing one of the horsemen involved Gen. Patton's rescue of the Lippizan horses. I was privy to some interesting tales and so happy to have had the friendship.

Disney even made a movie on this action.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next time you watch the movie, pay attention to the opening scene in front of the flag. Patton was known for wearing a Colt Single Action on his right hip and a Smith & Wesson .357 on his left hip. In that scene, the pistols are reversed. Colt is on his left hip, S&W on his right. Later in the movie, they are shown in the correct orientation. The print is not reversed because his medals are on the correct side. To me, this means that they had both a right and a left holster for each gun. I don't think they just mistakenly switched sides with the guns because the Colt would look odd in a holster made for an S&W and vice versa. So what happened? If you have a print of the movie, check it out.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patton's holsters were made by El Paso Saddlery, and I believe are still offered.

Recoatlift, you're welcome! I've been a fan of GSP since I was a child old enough to read. My father was also 3rd Army, arriving at Normandy about June 10, 1944, stayed with it until the end and then some. No combat, he was a supply clerk, but still wouldn't talk about it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
“For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conquerors rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children robed in white stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting.”

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post