SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Siege Of Jadotville...a movie I had forgot about...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Siege Of Jadotville...a movie I had forgot about... Login/Join 
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted
...is on Netflix...I enjoyed it Smile...these Irish soldiers deserved more Frown

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
A very good movie. I enjoyed watching it a while ago.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Fuck the UN!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Really good movie, I watched it several years ago on a work trip. Those guys put up a good fight but got left out to dry.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stu1000rr
posted Hide Post
I loved it when I saw it and I was disgusted with the treatment and support those soldiers recieved.

I need to rewatch it again. To me it really has some parallels to 13 hours.

Posts: 265 | Location: Southwest Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
A good flick. I agree with the hung out to
dry and lousy treatment upon their return to
Ireland sentiments.

Posts: 3126 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Been meaning to rewatch it, excellent movie.

And

FUCK THE un

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
It's too bad the original thread has been pruned because there was some excellent info in it.

Looking forward to watching this.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats a damn fine film. My hat is off to the guys who lived it for sure.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liked the hodge podge of all the different surplus weapons used. Very realistic for the time period. Also liked the part where the request was made for ammo and whiskey.

Posts: 4019 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta love any movie with the Bren Gun. "Bren and single shot!"

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Watched this movie today. I tried to learn more about the story, and it’s still a bit unclear to me who paid the French and Belgian mercs, the Katangese rebels or the mining consortium. Commander Pat Quinlan retired from the Irish Army as a full colonel, but his reputation wasn’t restored until 9 years after his death in 1997. Damn the UN, and damn politicians.

Posts: 13157 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Thats a damn fine film. My hat is off to the guys who lived it for sure.

Amen and prayers for their Irish souls.

Posts: 2154 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.thesun.ie/news/640...calls-member-resign/

REVIEW UPROAR Panel to decide if Jadotville heroes should receive bravery medals rocked by calls for member to resign

Neil Cotter
14 Jan 2021, 7:30

A PANEL set up to decide whether the heroes of Jadotville should receive bravery medals has been rocked by calls for one of the members to resign.

The Independent Review Group is looking into claims by 34 soldiers recommended for gallantry awards by Colonel Pat Quinlan arising from the 1961 UN siege.

Supporters of the Jadotville campaign have asked for one member to resign over potential conflicts of interest but he has been given the firm backing of Defence Minister Simon Coveney and the Defence Forces.

Experts believe the 155-man A Company were hung out to dry to cover up military and political failure surrounding events in the Congo almost 60 years ago.

The UN forces were at that time under the command of Irishman Lt Gen Sean McKeown, who later took over as Irish Defence Forces Chief of Staff.

He has been criticised for his role in leaving the Irish Company at the mercy of Katangese troops, and experts suggest any commendations for the Jadotville heroes would be at the expense of his legacy.

An independent group of experts including ex-army Brig Gen Paul Pakenham was set up following a proposal by Defence Forces chief of Staff Mark Mellett, under instruction from the Minister.

But supporters of the Jadotville soldiers want Brig Gen Pakenham to step aside after he authorised a post on the Association of Retired Commissioned Officers website last week paying tribute to Lt Gen McKeown.

Retired commandant Ray Cawley wrote to the Minister, Chief of Staff and Brig Gen Pakenham on January 6 urging him to step aside, following that email with another on January 11.

'LACK OF DECISIONS'

He said: “I am sure you are quite aware that decisions, or indeed lack of decisions, from the Force Commander may well have contributed to the massacre of 155 Irish Peacekeeping soldiers at Jadotville, were it not for the tactical brilliance of Comdt Pat Quinlan and the courage and heroism of Quinlan and his men, left by UN HQ in Elizabethville to their own resources in Katanga.

“It is generally accepted that Comdt Pat Quinlan, his family, his troops and their families have suffered all these years as a result of reports allegedly signed off by Gen McKeown, and Conor Cruise O’Brien, his civilian counterpart in the Congo at that time.

"I believe ARCO’s association, and possibly celebration, not alone at this time, or anytime casts a possible shadow, over your personal impartiality, and possible judgement relating to the inquiry.

“As a consequence Paul, I respectfully call on you to resign, with immediate effect from the inquiry, and hopefully, will be replaced by former Company Commanders or Battalion Commanders, who have led troops operationally in the war zones, that we Irish have soldiered in.”

60 YEARS OF SUFFERING'
The follow up letter read: “The opportunity created by the Minister and the Secretary General to bury 60 years of suffering by many could now be considered contaminated.”

He told the Irish Sun: “For a commander to send 155 men in was criminal, a crazy decision. I’m appalled at the decisions made.”

On September 3, 1961 the 155 Irish troops in A Company arrived in Jadotville and dug in defensive positions.

Some 130km away in Elizabethville and unknown to the Irish contingent, the UN launched an offensive against the Katangese regime on September 13 but never informed A Company.

Hours later, 3,000 Katangese troops launched their revenge attack on the Irish, and the battle raged for five days.

Incredibly, just five Irish were wounded, none died, while 300 enemy soldiers died and 750 were wounded.

With no UN support forthcoming, the Irish surrendered and spent six weeks as prisoners of war.

They returned home in December 1961, derided as the ‘Jadotville Jacks’.

Snubbed and condemned as cowards, a number took their own lives in the aftermath.

'CAN'T DEAL WITH IT IMPARTIALLY'
Quinlan’s recommendation that 34 men be awarded the Distinguished Service Medal (DSM) and five of those for the Military Medal for Gallantry (MMG) are now being considered.

Members of A company were awarded unit citation medals in 2017 but have been fighting for individual recognition since.

South East Military Veterans rep Brian Farrell told the Irish Sun: “The Irish military have proven they can’t deal with it impartially at this stage. The head of this review board has to be an outside figure.”

Brig Gen Pakenham declined to comment.

A Department of Defence spokesperson said: “The Minister is satisfied the membership of the Independent Review Group has brought together a broad range of expertise to examine this important issue.

"It will report its findings and recommendations to the Chief of Staff. The Chief of Staff will make recommendations as appropriate to the Minister by end March 2021.”

A Defence Forces statement read: “We are confident the independent panel chosen to conduct this review will deliver its recommendations in a professional and comprehensive manner.”

Posts: 15897 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post